Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Sign-in to Music and TV App after Catalina 10.15.1

Hi All, I tried to sign into Music and the new TV app on my Mac and I don't seem to be able to get in. I get two different error messages could not connect to the iTunes Store "unknown error (1001)" and "unknown error (11556) make sure your connection is active? Does anyone else have this issue or tips on how to solve it? 😊

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 4:13 AM

Hi all

Finally found solution without deleting your account. Thanks to Serge Rosenthaler for his reply on another post.

1) sign out of iCloud on your Mac

2) Open Terminal & use the following commands:

sudo -v

***Enter Your Mac Password***

killall -9 accountsd com.apple.iCloudHelper

rm -rf ~/Library/Accounts

3) restart your Mac

4) Open Music App & sign in to your account (You should sign in to your account)

5) Check your TV & Podcast Apps (You should sign in to your account)

6) Open System Preferences & go to iCloud (You should sign in to your account) just activate iCloud Drive

The post contain solution

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250828009

162 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2019 4:13 AM in response to BertieO

Hi all

Finally found solution without deleting your account. Thanks to Serge Rosenthaler for his reply on another post.

sudo -v

3) restart your Mac

4) Open Music App & sign in to your account (You should sign in to your account)

6) Open System Preferences & go to iCloud (You should sign in to your account) just activate iCloud Drive

Nov 5, 2019 10:35 PM in response to BertieO

Solution Found

• >System Preferences>Users & Groups
  • Unlock Padlock
  • Then click on the + Symbol above the Padlock and a New Account Window opens
  • Select Administrator in drop-down
  • Use a name similar to your own (I used a shortened version of my first name + my surname)
  • enter a new password and note it down
  • Press 'Create User'
  • Close Padlock and Log Off your original account
  • Log back into Catalina 10.15.1. with the new Admin Account
  • You will then see a window setting up Mac OS for you as the new Administrator
  • Follow through with the setting up during which you will be asked to enter your Apple ID
  • Enter your current Apple ID
  • You should be able to then sign-in to Apple Music
  • Check that all your music is there and I am certain it will be.
  • If it is and you are happy with it then you can go back to System Preferences>Users & Groups
  • Then delete your old Admin Account, but remember to make sure all the correct permissions are ticked in your new Admin Account before you delete
  • Once the old Admin Account has deleted you can then change your new Admin Account password back to the one you prefer

It has worked for me and I can now use Apple Music as it was intended on 10.15.1.

Will be interested to hear how it works for you

Nov 16, 2019 5:46 AM in response to danfrombucuresti

The solution above that apple posted is not the correct solution. The problem seems like an iCloud problem to me.

IF:

• you have Catalina
  • don't have general, pervasive iCloud problems (most things work, but music, or tv or podcasts.. something specific, does not)

You try to sign into music, tv, podcasts and it either accepts your password and then does nothing OR you get this error when trying to sign in: **FUSE.Error.GenericDataError**

THEN:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250816289?answerId=251601985022#251601985022

The correct application was posted by 'ehabjadalla' and it's buried a bit in the replies. I am reposting his fix here to make it easier:

REPOST:

sudo -v

3) restart your Mac

Should fix it. It's easy to do.

Nov 8, 2019 12:25 PM in response to BertieO

Hello again,

Finally, found a solution for my problem and I don't know if it will work for every one here. It's been mentioned before here by Tom-Bola https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250813754?answerId=251581611022#251581611022

Solution #2: via Terminal commands that reset iCloud. After that sign in to the apps (Music, tv, Podcasts, Books) what should happen without an issue. Then connect to iCloud via system settings.

1- sudo -v

2- Killall -9 accountsd com.apple.iCloudHelper

3- defaults delete MobileMeAccounts

4- rm -rf ~/Libarary/Accounts

5- Killall -9 accountsd com.apple.iCloudHelper

Nov 18, 2019 11:09 PM in response to BertieO

Hi folks,

I just wish to confirm that Serge Rosenthaler's solution to this problem (originally posted at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250829294) really does work, and to thank him for it. I have no idea why Apple Support is not aware of this simple fix, or if it is aware of it, why it doesn't advise it. I haven't experienced any problems since using it.

When I was eventually able to sign in to my iTunes account, I received a message saying that I was being transferred to the correct iTunes Store. So the problem for me, it seems, was that the user database was corrupt with respect to the country setting for the store. This is not something that can be corrected by changing the time / date settings (which Apple Support repeatedly proposed), or any other setting. Even if the problem (corruption of the user database) is caused by family sharing, switching this off does not do the job. Other dead-ends included ensuring that the firewall was off, checking network settings, using different types of connectivity to the internet, etc. etc.

I strongly recommend a clean install (i.e., with prior disk erase) of Catalina for *all* devices, as otherwise syncing issues also arise. Also, prepare yourself for the fact that most of your apps (and Steam games) won't work after the update. Finally, you might (as I did) have problems with the "Find Me" app. The only solution to these (as far as I can tell) is changing your iTunes account password.

The transition to Catalina is painful.

Nov 22, 2019 12:16 AM in response to nurserob

I spent three hours with Apple Support last Sunday trying to get a resolution. It was the first time I've ever had to log a support call as I can usually sort out a problem myself. The issue was passed to three operators until I finally got a phone call. The operator was civil and pleasant but we couldn't resolve the issue. All he could tell me was that the bug had been noted by Apple and a resolution would probably be bundled into the next Catalina update. After the call I searched and found the solution that Serge has posted here [https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250829294]. My experience of the migration to Catalina has been a bit of a hot mess tbh.

Nov 4, 2019 6:11 AM in response to BertieO

I have this same problem after update to macOS Catalina 10.15.1, in the 10.15 version all is working. But after update i can not:

1. Sign in to Apple Music or TV with the Apple ID
  2. When i clicking to iTunes ive got error 11556
  3. When i clicking to another menu, ive got FUSE.Error.GenericDataError message or Try again button

This trubles on the iMac Pro 2017 and macbook pro 2019 Retina - macOS Catalina 10.15.1. On the iPhone x and 11, and iPad Air and Pro is working great.

Can Apple replies for this issue?

Nov 8, 2019 12:22 PM in response to bert.powell

Additional informations :

I was finally successfully using this method, but for it to work i needed to restart my mac under recovery mode (cmd + R at reboot) and choose "reinstall my mac" (the 2nd item). It didn't erase your data but repair the installation.

Then you can follow the "new account" procedure :

• Create an admin
  • ... etc...

Without the reinstallation, the method can fail (that was my case with an apple advisor trying to help me by phone).

It's a long way (very long) but you should be able to log correctly then.

The biggest problem is to get your data back. If you're not easy with this you will have some pain doing it. (specially cause of the files and folder permissions.)

Good luck everyone

Nov 9, 2019 3:42 AM in response to Planetbruce

For those who try the new account and didn’t work, 2 small tricks:

• remove the account, reinstall the os (without formatting), then try again
  • don’t name it « test » (strange but for me that never worked with this name) use an alternative and change your usual password.

when you get successfull with it you will be able to change you password for your favorite one and it will still work :)

hope it help.

remember, iMessage sync, photos, and some other program will take ages to successfully retrieve your data.

my problem is now solved

Nov 18, 2019 2:03 AM in response to HarmoniousAZ

hi harmoniousAZ,

did you try the other solution:

• signout from iCloud
  • kill the accountsd
  • remove ~/Library/Accounts
  • reboot system
  • important step: sign in into Apple Music and Apple TV services
  • and then: sign in into your iCloud (preferences —> iCloud)

for me and a lot of other people this really works without the need to create a new account (that is really not a solution).

Please scroll up a bit in this thread and look for the details on the steps, I quickly described here, posted by ehabjadalla

It is very important to first sign in into the services which cause problems (Apple Music and Apple TV) and only then into your iCloud account again!

Nov 22, 2019 3:23 PM in response to BertieO

I had success today after having this issue. Not sure if it's coincidence but this is what I did after going through the new Apple ID test admin, etc. My set up is Mac, iPhone, company supplied iPhone, iPad and Apple TV.

• signed out of iCloud on all devices but Mac
  • changed my Apple ID from 3rd party email to iCloud alias email address (which I forgot you could do)
  • went through the process on my Mac, made sure all apps were signed in to iCloud except but left Music, TV and Podcasts sit (didn't sign in).
  • Then signed one device at a time and got everything running before moving to the next device (including music, books, TV and Podcast apps)
  • Came back to the Mac, deleted the test, alternative Apple ID I had as a test (which was still tied to the third party email)
  • Then, signed into the books app (took a second try to sing in) and then Music.
  • Everything began synching at that point and Music, TV and Podcasts are up and running.

I never dove in to the terminal for the workaround that worked for others. I played a hunch by using an Apple alias email address, signed out of each device and went one by one, and it worked. Again, maybe pure luck and Apple already did a fix behind the scenes and I got lucky with my timing. Regardless, thought it was worth a share.

Cannot Sign-in to Music and TV App after Catalina 10.15.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.