Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't enable icloud Drive On iPhone 11

Hi, I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max running iOS 13.4. My carrier is T-Mobile. When I go into the Files app, I’m presented with a big blue button that says "Turn on iCloud Drive."

When I press that button, it takes me to the iCloud panel in Settings. In that panel is a switch to turn on iCloud drive. When I flip the switch on and it turns green, it opens up a screen that says "Upgrade to iCloud Drive."

The problem is that the actual "Upgrade" button doesn't do anything when pressed, and neither does the "Cancel" button. They are also overlapping each other.

I am now stuck and unable to activate or access my iCloud Drive. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any help would be appreciated. I have enclosed a screenshot of the three screens in question:Thank you!

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 8:50 PM

Hi, I ended up doing a hard reset of my phone, then restored it from backup. As it was restoring, it gave me the option to enable iCloud Drive, which I did.

Everything seems to be fine now. Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

84 replies

May 30, 2020 8:55 AM in response to jfkladsjo

Agreed,

logging on a windows browser may or may not have helped for me.

iCloud Drive didn’t start working when I logged in from a windows machine.

I then realised it might be a payment acknowledgment issue. Something on Apple’s end wasn’t satisfying the “have paid for” iCloud Drive setting, so the Apple device cannot turn iCloud Drive on.

so, go into settings, your AppleID, click into payments and shipping. iCloud Drive started working on the Apple device. Repeated the steps on the other Apple device, it also started working,

Suspect it is a glitch between handling an iCloud Drive upgrade payment setting to “paid” that doesn’t quite sync right.

No need for factory reset!

hope that helps!

Mar 30, 2020 1:27 PM in response to Nightflyre9

I do not know if this will work but you can try this instead of pressing the upgrade, if you wish to upgrade your iCloud:

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage or iCloud Storage.
  2. Tap Buy More Storage or Change Storage Plan.
  3. Choose a plan.
  4. Tap Buy and follow the onscreen instructions.

If you are able to upgrade that way, then its good. But if not, this might be a bug on the latest iOS 13.4 update or something. Please do contact Apple Support

Mar 30, 2020 1:59 AM in response to Nightflyre9

Hi, thank you for your quick response, but that did not work.

I restarted my phone as you instructed, went into settings, selected my name, selected iCloud, then flipped the toggle switch to turn on iCloud drive.

This is the screen I am presented with every time I attempt to enable icloud Drive. These buttons don’t work. Is that how the screen is SUPPOSED to look?

Mar 30, 2020 2:00 AM in response to Pactricia666

Hi, thank you for your quick response, but that did not work.

I restarted my phone as you instructed, went into settings, selected my name, selected iCloud, then flipped the toggle switch to turn on iCloud drive.

This is the screen I am presented with every time I attempt to enable icloud Drive. These buttons don’t work. Is that how the screen is SUPPOSED to look?

Jul 13, 2020 7:08 PM in response to Nightflyre9

Hi, if I wanted to do a hard reset like you have suggested would my WhatsApp chats be backed up from the last backup I did on my computer yesterday? The issue I’m having is I need to back up WhatsApp but it won’t let me because I cloud drive will not either turn on or stay on and I’m having the same issue as the author. If I do a hard reset would it still have my WhatsApp chats when I restore it from the computer backup? Thanks in advance.

Jul 18, 2020 12:23 AM in response to nikil1980

Hi, are you using a Windows computer? I just accessed iCloud from my Windows laptop and you can see the icons presented on the home page. You want "Pages." It’s on the bottom left.

I haven’t actually had to use this method myself, so I don't know the exact sequence of steps, but it should be pretty self-explanatory once you’re in "Pages." Try again and see if it works. If not, try browsing Jfkladsjo's responses in this thread. Or you could Google it. Good luck!

Apr 27, 2020 3:27 PM in response to Nightflyre9

well, I have the exact issue and unfortunately hard reset is not an option since I migrated from Android to it just a month ago and had restored my backup in this (which is not yet backed up to my iCloud drive). I will loose all my data and chats that are critical.

I am using an iPhone 11 pro 64GB on iOS 13.4.1 and see the exact same screen.

Can someone from the apple team acknowledge this bug and raise it to the development team to fix in the next software release? At this stage, it is difficult to recommend such a good device due to such naive untested bugs. Didn't expect this from Apple!

Apr 27, 2020 3:52 PM in response to anmolkakkar

Anmolkakkar, before I did the hard reset, I plugged my phone in, made sure it was connected to my home wireless network, and let it charge for a couple hours. Backup only occurs when the phone is plugged in. After a couple of hours, I did the hard reset. All of my settings and everything were retained. Even my icons on the home screen were in the exact place they were before. It was pretty flawless. My messages were there too.

I don't think you will lose your chats and data. Just make sure you enable iCloud backup for every category. Remember, iCloud and iCloud Drive are separate entities. That's something I didn't realize at first. Your backups go to iCloud. You SAVE items to iCloud Drive, just as you would Dropbox, etc. As long as you plug your phone in, connect to your home wireless network, and give your phone a chance to perform a backup, you should be fine. Just make sure you restore from the latest backup.

I am by no means an expert, but I'm learning as I go along. This is my first time owning an iPhone, so there has been a bit of a learning curve. But it's not that bad. Good luck!

Apr 29, 2020 5:28 AM in response to Nightflyre9

I have been dealing with tech support for over 2 weeks now in regards to this same issue. I have been researching it for over a month, and was unable to find ANYTHING! When I called Apple support they requested screen shots, analytic logs, et centera. They informed me they had never seen anything like this before.

I had never used iCloud Drive, but I knew that it was a recent issue. Running iPhone 8+, and a iPad 7th gen 10.2; I could not turn on iCloud Drive to communicate with NOTABILITY.

It wasn’t until last night, that I finally found this thread. I chose the iPad, did a backup of everything, using the iCloud, and I completely erased the iPad. When I restarted the iPad, magically the iCloud was working on the iPhone, it would then enable on the iPad, and all is well.

While I am sorry you were having this same issue, I am glad someone else had posted about it, especially after all I’ve been through with Apple support and trying to find the answer on my own.

hope all is well,

stay safe'

Joseph

Apr 29, 2020 6:08 AM in response to Nightflyre9

I'm glad you found the thread helpful . . . I was extremely frustrated when I started it! As for Apple tech support, I can't fathom why they wouldn't have suggested a hard reset as your first option. Wouldn't a tech support professional start off with the simplest potential solution first, before bothering about screenshots and logs? I mean, I figured this out for myself in a matter of hours. They couldn't do the same in two weeks? Scary.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your phone!

May 1, 2020 2:20 AM in response to Nightflyre9

Honestly, I am most disappointed by Apple iPhones. I recently had a problem with my phone and was forced to format it. Lost all of my memories and data !!! And now I am trying to avoid repeating the same tragedy, but I am faced with this bug. It is like a message from Apple: Come on lose your data. It is just our signature as a company. We protect your data even from you !

For my next buy, I will definitely never consider Apple devices ever again !

May 1, 2020 4:33 AM in response to bushra28

I feel your pain! I recently came over to Apple from Android, which has been mostly a good experience but frustrating and disappointing as well.

The good is that my iPhone 11 Pro Max is a gorgeous, unbelievably fluid, blazingly fast device that is, without a doubt, the nicest phone I’ve ever owned. As they say, it’s like buttah!

The bad is Apple itself, a company I feel often punishes its loyal customers with arrogance and indifference. With Android, which I was with for over a decade, they seem to go out of their way to give their customers options, to give them the ability to customize things in a way that makes the user experience much more fulfilling and complete.

Apple, on the other hand, seems to think every random idea they have is a perfect one, every strange decision they make is what the customer needs. And the way they force developers to hobble some of the functionality of their apps is apalling; all it does is take away from the user experience.

I get that Apple is a tightly closed and controlled ecosystem, while Android is open source. That’s no reason to be so draconian when it comes to giving the very people who buy your products the ability to have a choice. If I want to change the color of iMessages, or have a widget on my home screen, or make Gmail my default provider, that shouldn’t be a problem. But it is. And it gets old fast.

So, I totally get where you’re coming from. I really want to love the Apple ecosystem--I had even been considering getting an Apple Watch and an iPad--but seeing how inhospitable that ecosystem is to change or customization gives me pause.

Can't enable icloud Drive On iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.