Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop files and folders not responding to double-click (2019 iMac Catalina)

I'm having some odd desktop behavior. Sometimes, everything works as expected. But more often than not, the issue persists.

I can not seem to open folders or files on my desktop with a double-click. I have to right click to open the files. Also, when select a desktop item, I can not deselect it by clicking off. I can simply click and highlight a different item.

Everything seems to operate normal for a few minutes after a reboot or when I first log in, but then the issue begins again.

I have a 2019 iMac Catalina 10.15.4 which is only about a month old. My previous computer was a 17" 2011 MacBook Pro which had an SSD installed. That machine was a beast until it died a couple months ago. I expected the new iMac to perform much better, but I'm surprised at how poorly it runs. I'm not sure if it's the machine or Catalina.

I haven't found this issue online or in forums, so hoping someone might know something. Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 23, 2020 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 9:54 AM

Perhaps it is the mouse or trackpad?

Boot into Safe Mode and see if it still happens. Safe Mode is klunky and takes a long time to boot up. It will prevent certain things from running which might be interfering with the mouse inputs.

Similar questions

14 replies

May 23, 2020 10:06 AM in response to dlewisphoto

If the Safe boot doesn't help the problem download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

May 23, 2020 10:43 AM in response to Old Toad

Wow, I did not expect such a fast response! Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out and give such detailed instructions to assist me. It's greatly, greatly appreciated.

I've been on chat hold with my ISP for almost two hours now, so I decided to just attempt EtreCheck before booting in safe mode. Results are attached. I'll see what happens in safe mode as soon as I'm able to close out this chat window that supposedly had an estimated wait time of 5 minutes.

Thanks Again!

May 23, 2020 11:15 AM in response to dlewisphoto

I don't see any of the usual suspects in the report. There are 3 possible fixes you can try:

1 - download and apply the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update. 

2 - if #1 fails boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and run first aid on the boot drive.

3 - lastly if still not fixed boot again into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down) and reinstall the system. Do not erase the drive but just reinstall the system. This will not remove your user data files but it's wise to have a current and full backup before attempting in any case.

May 23, 2020 11:43 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

I booted in safe mode, and I had no issues aside from really sluggish performance and window animations. I was able to double-click to open desktop items. I played around for a while, and everything seemed okay.

Logging back in normal mode, and I'm still not having any issues. Everything seems to work at first, so I'm not sure what's causing the issue to start happening. I'll continue to try some of the suggestions given.

Jun 20, 2020 2:14 PM in response to dlewisphoto

I am having the same problem as the person initiating this message. I used an iMac for many years until it was so bad I replaced it with a new one. I upgraded OS to Catalina and noticed double click didn't do anything. I've explored all I know but it continues. I've ordered the trackpad to use instead but would appreciate seeing how this is resolved so I can too fix my machine.

Jun 21, 2020 11:02 PM in response to Rosebud52

I tried safe mode but the problem is still there. The update 10.15.4 won't run for me. I used Disk Utility to run first aid and no problems were found. Restarted in Recovery and reinstalled Catalina. Double click still doesn't work. I see the problem trying to add a new event to my calendar and when I try to edit an event on my calendar. Also, I play games on Pogo and the solitaire has stopped allowing me to move more than one card to another stack. If there are other suggestions that I should try, please let me know. I did get the extended warranty on the new machine so I can contact Apple Care. You all are so helpful and responsive, I appreciate your advice.

Jun 22, 2020 1:03 PM in response to Rosebud52

2 - if #1 fails boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and run first aid on the boot drive.

3 - lastly if still not fixed boot again into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down) and reinstall the system. Do not erase the drive but just reinstall the system. This will not remove your user data files but it's wise to have a current and full backup before attempting in any case.

These two.

Jun 25, 2020 10:51 AM in response to Barney-15E

To anyone curious, booting into safe mode has somehow solved this issue for me. After several weeks, I still run into the issue very rarely and briefly, but it seems to resolve itself in moments. It's almost as if it takes just a few moments for the desktop to become responsive, but then it works fine. Previously, the problem was persistent. Thank you to all who helped.

Desktop files and folders not responding to double-click (2019 iMac Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.