Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won’t boot, repeatedly restarts(kernel panic?)

I think I was just browsing on safari when the mac suddenly froze, unresponsive to anything on keyboard, mouse pointer frozen etc, other than the caps lock green indicator which responded.

I first tried shutting the lid for a while, to no avail. The screen became a lit black. I then did control-command-power button, and it restarted, but into windows(bootcamp). So I again restarted, this time holding down the option key to select mac os. It began booting into mac, but very quickly the apple logo and progress bar disappears and it boots into windows again. I tried again twice, same results.

After this, I tried safe mode and it worked, I was able to boot into mac os in safe mode and login. I attempt to restart normally, and now it does begin booting into mac os but shows the ‘your computer was restarted because of a problem...’ black screen, and seemingly infinitely repeatedly restarts with the same message black screen.

This is where I am now; I cannot start the mac normally, but safe mode is working(as of now). I have also tried running disk utility in safe mode and recovery mode which did not work.

I hope my description was acceptable and can help. Any advice and help would be really appreciated

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.14

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 2:17 PM

Three things stand out from the report:

• Starting with the kernel panic issue, the Corolis kexts are located in /Library/Extensions. These should be deleted. No other kexts should be removed.

• You have an app "cleaner" installed. These are totally unnecessary and should removed as they cause more issues than resolve them.

• Your Mac's system hosts file appears to be corrupted. This may have been a result of a malware "infection." I see that you have Malwarebytes for Mac installed. I suggest running it a few times to see if it can find the cause.

Ref: How to edit your Mac's Hosts file, and why you would want to - iMore

Other than that, you Mac appears to need a good system cleanup. There are numerous kexts, drivers, etc. installed which you may no longer be using or need. I suggest that you take the time to review each one listed in this report and remove any that fall in this category. Note: Do so using the app's uninstall function and not by randomly deleting individual files.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 2:17 PM in response to Ian1402

Three things stand out from the report:

• Starting with the kernel panic issue, the Corolis kexts are located in /Library/Extensions. These should be deleted. No other kexts should be removed.

• You have an app "cleaner" installed. These are totally unnecessary and should removed as they cause more issues than resolve them.

• Your Mac's system hosts file appears to be corrupted. This may have been a result of a malware "infection." I see that you have Malwarebytes for Mac installed. I suggest running it a few times to see if it can find the cause.

Ref: How to edit your Mac's Hosts file, and why you would want to - iMore

Other than that, you Mac appears to need a good system cleanup. There are numerous kexts, drivers, etc. installed which you may no longer be using or need. I suggest that you take the time to review each one listed in this report and remove any that fall in this category. Note: Do so using the app's uninstall function and not by randomly deleting individual files.

Jul 10, 2020 1:18 PM in response to Ian1402

See if you have a panic report (file's ending in .panic).  If you have more than 1, please post a couple as the differences can be very useful:

Look for the Kernel Panic reports at:

Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder -> /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports 

<http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553>

The panic report should have ".panic" in the file name.

You can put the panic report in an "Additional Text" box when you Reply

If, AND ONLY IF, you have difficulty posting via "Additional Text"

then try posting to PasteBin.com, and give us a PasteBin URL link.

<http://pastebin.com/>

Jul 10, 2020 8:52 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks much for the reply; I did step 2(reset SMC), and upon turning on my mac I again got the repeated restarts with the repeated panic black screen(your computer was restarted because... in different languages). So, after the mac repeatedly restarted a few times by itself, I held down the D key to attempt to do step 5(Apple Diagnostics). However my mac actually started up normally instead of going into diagnostics, and I was able to login normally. I got the below screen after logging in, I also attached the panic report it gave. Should I do anything now to make sure any problems are found and fixed?

Jul 10, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Ian1402

Hopefully, you have been making regular backups ...

... regardless, try steps 2, 5-7 in the following user tip article to see if they can help. In addition, if you can boot up in Safe Mode, as you stated, try step 8, and optionally, post the resultant report if you need any assistance with interpreting it.

Ref: Mac Basic Startup Troubleshooting Steps - Apple Community

Jul 18, 2020 6:17 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the followup review; I deleted the Corolis kexts and iDefrag, as well as CCleaner. I ran 2 scans with Malwarebytes, it found a PUP(ReiBoot) which it quarantined, didn't solve the hosts file issue. I'll go through the EtreCheck report bit by bit.

I ran EtreCheck again(this time with full disk access, didn't see it last time) afterwards.

Jul 18, 2020 6:38 AM in response to Ian1402

Ian1402 wrote:

...this mac was school-managed so had a ton of software downloaded, maybe that's why? It's no longer school managed as I graduated, but I haven't wiped the mac and reinstalled like my school recommended.

Going back to your earlier reply and looking at your latest EtreCheck report, I strongly suggest that, instead of tweaking your Mac, that you completely erase it and reinstall a fresh copy of macOS. There are just too many extension, drivers, etc, that you may no longer need or use that are still impacting your Mac's performance.

Ref: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Jul 11, 2020 6:51 AM in response to Ian1402

I think this is the reason for the kernel panics. If iDefrag has an uninstaller, I suggest that you completely remove it to. see if this stops the crashes. If it doesn't have a dedicated uninstaller, try reinstalling it again to see if it has an uninstall option.

If neither of those work, an EtreCheck report should identify the locations of where iDefrag left its "footprints," and you can try manually uninstalling each one.

Mac won’t boot, repeatedly restarts(kernel panic?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.