Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS doesn't charge after update to iOS 14.

My iPhone XS doesn't charge after update to iOS 14.

After the update to iOS 14, I checked some functions and went to sleep. In the morning I took my phone from the shelf and checked WhatsUp. After few seconds the display gets black. I was not able to switch it on. Now , I can only see the battery symbol with a thin red line in it with a cable on the display. If I put the charge cable in the phone, the phone recognizes it (the cable on the display disappears), but nothing is happening. The phone doesn't charge any more.

Please help me. I have no warranty anymore.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 9:12 AM

40 replies

Sep 21, 2020 6:36 AM in response to Anton_X

How exactly am I not able to charge my iPhone XS...

1. I'm not able to turn it on.
  2. I don't see the Apple logo at all.
  3. I'm not able to get my iPhone in the DFU Mode. https://support.apple.com/library/content/dam/edam/applecare/images/en_US/iOS/ios13-iphone-xs-restore-iphone.jpg
  4. ITunes doesn't recognize my iPhone at all.
  5. I can see on the display only an empty battery symbol:
  • with cable and flash symbol if the charger is disconected
  • without cable if the charger is connected

and nothing else happens.

Please Apple fix this problem and bring my iPhone to life!

Sep 30, 2020 5:36 AM in response to Anton_X

(2.) Continuation to

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251804766?answerId=253538851022#253538851022

Last time I wrote I will test my iPhone without the sim card. I tested that for 48 hours. I played with my iPhone XS games, looked Videos, surfed in Internet and read eMails and WhatsApp. All the time Bluetooth and WiFi were switched on. Also I used my AirPods Pro and other headphones. I didn't met any issues with my battery or charging.

So I inserted the SIM card again. And I will test it for a few days and report here my observations.

(2.) Summary of my state:

My problem:

Imediately after update my iPhone XS to the iOS 14 got this troubles with battery:

• restart
  • wrong battery charge level
  • not able to charge with any charger anymore

My tests and tries:

• replaced the battery with other original apple battery -> Unsuccessful
  • performed factory reset, backuped, erased and restored all data -> Unsuccessful
  • removed the sim card and test it without mobile connection (Wifi for Internet) -> No issues anymore

Possible reasons for the success this time:

Time-dependent:

The to high current consumption of the iPhone due to the optimization work for iOS 14 is gone. The well-known optimization processes of iOS 14 which are usually carried out to improve the work of the operating system after update, are gone. Maybe because of the lot of time is gone after the update and there are no optimization work needed anymore.

Load-dependent:

The to high current consumption of the iPhone because of the optimization or iOS 14 bugs is still there, but it is less due to the deactivated mobile connection module (sim card). The battery can manage it.

Mobile module dependent:

The cellular network module is deactivated without a SIM card and therefore no longer causes problems like sw bugs or to highh current consumption.

My next steps:

Insert the sim-card back again and test my iPhone again for about 48 hours.

Oct 1, 2020 4:29 PM in response to Anton_X

(3.) Continuation to (FInal)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251804766?answerId=253562081022#253562081022

Last time I wrote I will test my iPhone with the sim card again. I tested that for about 48 hours. I played with my iPhone XS games, looked Videos, surfed in Internet and read eMails and WhatsApp. All the time Bluetooth and WiFi were switched on. Also I used my AirPods Pro and other headphones. And again, I didn't met any issues with my battery or charging.

(3.) Final summary of my tests:

My problem:

Immediately after updating my iPhone XS to iOS 14, I got the following battery issues:

• restart after few hours
  • wrong battery charge level (0 - 1%)
  • not able to charge with any charger anymore
  • battery went empty and the iPhone went off
  • not able to perform the Hard-Reset, Factory-Reset, DFU Mode or to read out the device for Apple diagnostics.

My tests and tries:

• Charge it with other charger:

I tried to charge it with other chargers, including a strong one (Anker 45W Power Delivery) - > Unsuccessful:

While putting the charger cable, the device recognizes it and the big empty battery symbol appears in the middle of the display. But also after 12 hours, the iPhone was dead. I was still not able to switch it on.

• Replacement of the battery:

I replaced the battery with other original Apple battery -> Unsuccessful:

I was able to turn on the iPhone. The problem was gone for a few hours. But then my iPhone suddenly restarted and the battery icon in the top right corner showed empty. Before restarting it was like something over the 50% of charging level.

• Factory Reset:

I backuped the iPhone, performed a factory reset (erased all data) and restored all data again -> Unsuccessful:

After these steps, my iPhone did the restart again and showed 0% battery symbol again. But I was still able to turn it on (maybe because of the new battery or "better" data on my iPhone after restored data). Perhaps you will be successful at this point, but it didn't work for me.

• Removed the sim card / turned the mobile connection off:

I removed the sim card and tested it without mobile connection (Wifi for Internet only) -> Successfull - No issues anymore

• Tested with the sim card again / mobile connection on (full load):

I installed the sim card again and tested it with full load again -> Successfull - No issues anymore

Possible reasons for this success after all these troubles:

Time-dependent success:

This high current consumption of the iPhone, due to the optimization work after updating my iPhone to iOS 14 is finished after few while i was testing my device. I started to test and analyze this issue since 25th of September and I did it until 1th of October. My first success was round about at 28th of September. The well-known optimization processes of iOS 14, which are usually carried out to improve the work of the operating system after installation of new os, is probably gone after 4-5 days (depends on how much data and apps you have installed).

Load-dependent (deactivated mobile module (without sim-card):

To high current consumption of the iPhone because of the optimization work of iOS or any other iOS 14 bugs are still there, but the overall power consumption is less due to the deactivated mobile connection module (sim card was pulled out). The battery was able to manage this high current needed for optimization work.

Sep 20, 2020 2:37 AM in response to Anton_X

Here the people have the same problem with iOS 14 after update

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251819610

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251811831

Other people got this problem after updating iPhone to iOS 13.4

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251273440

If anyone find the solution, please post it here.

Apple Support, that is an huge issue!

My iPhone is just like a brick now!

Please fix it and give me a solutiuon for that!

Sep 25, 2020 1:01 PM in response to Anton_X

Hello to all,

with a battery tester for Apple bought from eBay, I figured out, my battery is discharged to the voltage level of 3.3 Volts (18mAh ~> 0mAh). I think because the voltage level is too low, the iPhone either won't charge it (SW) or it can't do that (HW). But the voltage level of 3.3 Volt is not to bad for the li-ion battery. It is just regular discharged battery.

The cell of li-ion battery can be discharged down to 2.5 Volts without any issues for the cell itself. The nominal voltage is 3.8V. It seems to be that 3.3 Volts is the lower limit for the discharged battery for iPhone.

I don't have any warranty anymore. I bought a new original battery from eBay (I tested it first, of course, it's original) and build in this new battery in my iPhone. And with this new battery it works! I can turn the iphone on and I can charge it with my original charging adapter.

My further questions are:

1. Why the battery with this voltage level of 3.3 Volts can't be charged from iPhone XS?
  2. Why this is happened immediately after update to iOS14?
  3. Is it possible that the iOS 14 does some super optimization work for iOS after the update and kills the battery with too much load (power consumption)?

My next steps are:

1. To test the power consumption of my iPhone XS with external power supply.
  2. To check my original battery if it is damaged or not.
  3. Try to charge my battery directly from power supply to the appropriate level (10%) and continue to charge it with iPhone.
  4. If nothing helps, I'll just replace my old original battery with a new original battery and hope this problem is gone for me.

I will post here an update!

Thank you!

Sep 26, 2020 4:37 PM in response to Anton_X

Update of my report: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251804766?answerId=253527075022#253527075022

The new original Apple battery I installed did the same after few hours. First it went very well, but then my iPhone restarted and started with empty battery. Bevore this restart battery had about 40%. After the restart iPhone show me only 1%. And I can no longer charge my iPhone.

I connected my iPhone again to the lab power supply and observed the power consumption. The current in stand by is about 60mA. The current consumption on homescreen was 300 - 400mAh. (Dsiplay brightnis 70%). But some times it rised sporadically and abruptly to the 1,5A (@3.7V) (5,5 Watt) This jump could be responsible for killing our batteries.

First conclusion

This issue have initially nothing to do with the battery. I think because of this buggy iOS14 there is sometimes to much load on the battery. This load kills the battery chip or the battery itself.

I went to Apple Store. They tried to read the data out and to do some diagnostics on my iPhone. But due to the fact, the device is dead they could nothing do with it. I don't have the warranty anymore, so I had to pay for a replacement or stay with it. I declined the offer.

Now, because of this update to iOS 14 my device doesn't work normally.

My next steps are:

I will do a hard reset and erase all data from my iPhone. Then I will update it to iOS 14.01 with iTunes and test it again with the original battery. If that doesn't help, I'll try to downgrade the iOS to 13.5 or 13.7. . if such downgrade is possible ...

Sep 27, 2020 7:54 AM in response to Anton_X

Continuation to

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251804766?answerId=253535644022#253535644022

Due to 1% of the battery level I was not able to perform Factory-reset. So I connected the battery port direct to the power supply (3.7V) with help of a Power Cable Batterie Adapter, special for such purposes. And I did the full Factory-reset. After that I restored my backup and connected the original battery again.

First it was like 60-80%. But after some time my iPhone went off sporadically (restart) and started with 0% of battery level. In this state, I was not able to charge it again. So, then I pulled out the sim card and the problem is gone for the moment. I have againt normal voltage level and the phone can be charged. I do long tests now without a sim card.

Summary of my state:

When iPhone won't charge and show 0%, it doesn't mean that the battery is defect.

Too high power consumption still can be the initiation of this problem.

I test my iPhone XS without the SIM card.

Oct 1, 2020 4:32 PM in response to Anton_X

My conclusion and advices for people who have similar probles

After installation of the new OS, like iOS 14, the OS performs a lot of optimization work. This optimization work initiates a very high power consumption from the battery.

This high power consumption causes troubles like:

• iPhone gets hot
  • the battery go empty to fast
  • the battery live (Capacity in %) go to fast down ( minus 2-3% after update to new OS)
  • the battery symbol shows wrong battery level (weak battery)
  • the iPhone wan't be charged over x percent (e.g. 10-20%)
  • the iPhone wan't be charged at all (weak battery)
  • the iPhone is dead after short time after updating to new iOS, it can't be charged, it can't be switched on or read by Apple (weak battery)

My Solution for these issue:

1. Please try a different charger first. Better a stronger one, like the Mac-Book charger. Do not forget to clean the lightning onnector of your iPhone. In cases where the iPhone cannot be charged and therefore cannot be switched on, the battery must be replaced. Your iPhone is not dead. Due to the high power consumption of your battery, this battery is either damaged or cannot be charged via the iPhone charging system.
  2. If you can turn on your iPhone, e.g. after replacing the battery, or if you have any of the problems listed above, e.g. if the iPhone doesn't charge above 10% -20% but your iPhone still works, then you will have to wait for your iPhone to finish all the necessary optimization work. It will take about 3-5 days. The exact duration depends on the number of your apps and media. To make this process easier for your device, please turn the Bluetooth, Wifi and mobile connections off. You can switch your iPhone to "Fly Mode", but don't switch it off completely. Also connect the charger to your iPhone. You can't use your iPhone regularly in this time. After the optimization work is finished, you will never have these problems again and can use your iPhone normally.

My Verdict:

These issues are caused by Apples new Update. In my opinion, all cases need to be covered by Apple, whether or not a warranty is still available. At least, the batteries will need to be replaced for free if the iPhone cannot be turned on.

However, this is my opinion and my analysis of the subject. Without guarantee of correctness!

Than you! I'm done! :-)

Oct 6, 2020 11:24 AM in response to Andy1773

Hmmm...

that is maybe not the best way to do that. Because after factory reset and restoring your data, the operating system will start with this optimization again.

Better you will try one of these ways:

1. factory reset -> restore data -> optimization time (3-4) days with charger and without the sim card inserted -> normal usage with sim card and the battery level will be calibrated in this time-> done.
  2. factory reset --> normal usage and the battery level will be calibrated in this time -> restore data -> optimization time (3-4) days with charger and without the sim card inserted-> put the sim card back (done)

If I were you I would choose the first one.

But there is no special way to do that. It is a Apple Magic! 😅

I wish you good luck! 🍀

Oct 11, 2020 7:42 AM in response to Andy1773

Hmmm, that is not good. ((

I tought it will be enough to let it for 4 days without sim card on the charger. But as it looks like, it is not enough.

You can try something else;

I don't know if you have access to any labor power supply and special battery adapter. Maybe your engineer can do that for you. The point is to let your iPhone enabled with sim card and wifi, with all data and apps restored, connected direcet to the power supply instead of the battery.

Power supply can deliver much more power, so your iPhone will able to perform all optimization work needed without resets!

Warning:

This is not trivial. You can completely destroy your device. Please be very careful!

I'm not responsible for any damages if something goes wrong!

Don't do It If you are not sure!

You will need:

• DC Power Supply Test Cable (like W103+) for your iPhone model
  • Power Supply (adjustable: from 0 to 5V and maximum current at least 2-3 A)
  • Your iPhone

Your steps:

• Switch your iPhone off
  • Open your iPhone (caryfully)
  • Disconnect the battery (caryfully)
  • Switch the Power Supply on and adjust the voltage level between 3,7 and 4.2 Volt. (For example 4.0 Volts.)
  • Adjust the maximum current between 2-3 Ampere max.
  • Connect caryfully the "DC Power Supply Test Cable" to the battery terminal of your iPhone (instead of your battery)
  • Connect the other two cables (red - Plus and blue - Minus) to terminals of Power Supply
  • Switch the iPhone on as usual (sim, mobile, wifi, bt) and let it for 3 days on this cable.
  • ...wait for 3 or 4 days
  • After 3-4 days, switch your iPhone off, disconnect the "DC Power Supply Test Cable" and connect your battery again
  • Assemble your iPhone (caryfully)
  • Switch the iPhone on and test it as usual
  • Report your results here.

Please be careful! I'm an engineer in electronics, so for me, it is not difficult. But I don't know if you easily can do that or not.

Better let a technician do it.

Good luck!

Oct 10, 2020 5:26 PM in response to Andy1773

Hi Andy,

there is nothing to do with the fact if there is an original battery or not. The guy from Apple has told you that, because it is simpler to say that and to move the problem to not original battery. They are mostly not engineers there and not experts at all.

I have new battery now. But I replaced this battery by my self. And I also have this notification about non original battery. But I don’t have this problem anymore.

The Apple supervisor (manager) from Frankfurt (Germany), told me that my problem is 100% the hardware(mainboard). I asked her (women) to replace at least the battery, she told me, my iPhone was opened before, so they can’t do that anymore for free. (I understand that, but why she didn’t admit to the software issue?)

I told her and an other guy, that there is a lot of cases with not charging iPhones after update to iOS 14 in Apple community. They answered me, they sometimes read these posts, but they don’t know if these posts are real or not. 🤣

To your problem:

Can you write exact what you did to try solving your problem, your steps?

Original battery (remove the notification)

You can buy a new original battery (with wrong serial number) and program it with special programer from china (JC V1S). It is easy, like two button clicks: „Read and Write“. You will need for that your old battery and your new original battery.

Maybe your old battery is damaged in some way. Maybe, because of high current consumption, there are some irreversible chemical processes happened. We don’t know that.

My current battery:

Original Apple but with wrong serial number.

Sorry for my english. I learn it now. 🤗

Sep 20, 2020 9:25 PM in response to Anton_X

I had pretty much the same issue with my iPhone SE, i.e. installed iOS 14, it worked for a day, lost charge quickly then wouldn't go past thin red line on battery icon.

I'm fortunate enough to live close to an Apple Store and got an appointment at the Genius Bar today. I spent 45 minutes with two Geniuses and they couldn’t find anything wrong with my phone except that it won’t charge. They were suggesting there was some corrosion in the Lightning port but still decided to give me a new phone.

The Apple repair system flags some devices/jobs for further scrutiny—randomly, apparently, but this happened with my last replacement phone, too—and they can’t work around that. It takes over a week, so I asked for a loaner, which they only do for iPhone 7 and above, but I talked them into loaning me a 7 while my SE gets further scrutinised.

I'll be interested to see what they find.

I’m just setting up the 7 and it’s automatically upgrading to iOS 14. I'll report if there are any issues.

Sep 21, 2020 8:00 AM in response to Anton_X

Hi. I had exactly the same problem with my iPhone 8 and some minutes after installing ios14 i found the iphone is charging (by showing the sign) but it was not charging actually. Then as i disconnecte the charger, the battery level went down and down an finnaly phone was turned off.

before I lose the whole battery , I tried to ask SIRI that what is the problem by saying this sentence''Hi Siri, My Phone is not charging" and Siri replied me" The current Volume is 81%" although I had only 6% battery level actually.

At that time I guessed that this is some Bug by iphone Screen that can not show the battery level because SIRI told me I have 81% battery.But after some minutes that the level touched 1% my phone went off.

in My country there is no App Store. and i need my phone a lot.So I went to a repair shop and the guy open it up and found that after ios 14 update battery doest accept any electrical flow and COULD NOT BE CHARGED also when he put my battery to other iPhone 8. So he has changed my battery and everything is now working. I have paid a lot for this issue and I hope Apple can imagine it.

Thank

HamidReza

iPhone XS doesn't charge after update to iOS 14.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.