Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpod Mic not working properly after IOS 14 update

My AirPod mic it’s not working properly after IOS 14 update on phone calls, WhatsApp calls and audio recordings.

i’d done resets of AirPod, forgot and sync again, everything I found on the web, therefore do not solve the situation.

I tried the AirPod on my MacBook and it’s working very good without any issues.

I have IOS 14.0.1 already and all apps updated.

Somebody know any solution?

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 2:58 PM

Have the same issue with 2 pairs of AirPods 2. It seems like 3A283 firmware just killed the microphones.

MEANWHILE, if I knock the mic hardly with my finger IT STARTS working for a whole. You can test it in native dictaphone app.

There os no Apple Store in Ukraine to go to and all official services jus rejected my request for warranty service.

I believe Apple should firmware fix as far it is just stolen couple of hundreds dollars from our pockets.

Totally frustrating.

101 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 2:58 PM in response to VaraujoREC

Have the same issue with 2 pairs of AirPods 2. It seems like 3A283 firmware just killed the microphones.

MEANWHILE, if I knock the mic hardly with my finger IT STARTS working for a whole. You can test it in native dictaphone app.

There os no Apple Store in Ukraine to go to and all official services jus rejected my request for warranty service.

I believe Apple should firmware fix as far it is just stolen couple of hundreds dollars from our pockets.

Totally frustrating.

May 23, 2021 7:14 AM in response to sterling r

• That link above is just maddening. "Avoid using your wireless devices near common sources of interference, such as power cables, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, wireless video cameras, and cordless phones.." Seriously? So basically, go hang out in the woods off the grid to try to solve the problem of why my aipods mic doesn't work? I noticed abruptly about 2 weeks ago that people wouldn't hear me, on any of my devices. I can hear crystal clear, but the mic isn't working.

Oct 1, 2020 12:54 PM in response to VaraujoREC

Hi VaraujoREC,

We understand that your AirPods microphones aren't working as expected when used with your iPhone, and we can certainly take a closer look. It sounds like you've already done a lot of great troubleshooting already. Since the AirPods are working as expected with your MacBook, we'd like to focus on your iPhone for now. To get started, can you let us know which firmware version is currently installed on your AirPods when they're connected? To find the firmware version, you'll want to place the AirPods in your ears, then tap the Settings app > General > About > AirPods on your iPhone. The information we're looking for is next to "Firmware Version".

The steps below may also help with eliminating Bluetooth interference between your iPhone and your AirPods as well.

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

Please let us know if these steps help, or if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

Oct 4, 2020 11:37 AM in response to VaraujoREC

VaraujoREC,

These are excellent details, and help us further isolate the problem to the phone. By chance, do you have another pair of headphones with a microphone that you could use to test? We'd like to see if they work as expected. If not, your iPhone may need service and you'll want to reach out to Apple Support using the following link to look into your options with you.

Contact Apple Support

Best regards!

Oct 2, 2020 8:09 AM in response to VaraujoREC

Hi VaraujoREC,

You're very welcome! From this information, it looks like we are working with AirPods (1st Generation) and the most recent version of firmware available for them. If you open the Settings app > Battery > Battery Health screen on your iPhone, what do you see there next to Maximum Capacity? If there is a low power supply from either the iPhone or the AirPods, it can affect the signal strength; since the AirPods are working okay with the Mac, we'd like to take a closer look at the power level on your iPhone.

Thanks!

Nov 24, 2020 8:56 AM in response to MaXimuS_NSW

I am having the same issue with my first GEN AirPods Mike not working ever since the new iOS update on my iPhone. They were working just fine before and suddenly not working anymore I can hear just fine but I cannot speak using them. I’ve tried forgetting and redoing them the firmware is up-to-date. I’ve done the Wi-Fi Bluetooth recommendation as well and they still do not work

Nov 25, 2020 3:51 AM in response to VaraujoREC

I have been going nuts for 1 week trying to figure out why the mic suddenly stopped working. One trip to genius bar and it worked for one call thus thought it was fixed. Got home and problem reoccurred and 2 chat attempts and nada. AirPods are just over 1 year old so out of warranty. So frustrating but relieved that this appears to be a problem for several.

Airpod Mic not working properly after IOS 14 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.