Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touchscreen acting strange after iOS 14 update

I have an iPhone XS Max and I’ve just updated the phone to iOS 14.

Areas of the screen becomes unresponsive many times during the day. Locking the screen and unlocking it again seems to temporarily fix the issue. Removed the screen protector, and restarting the phone doesn’t seem to fix the issue. Updated to iOS 14.1 and the issue remains to emerge every once in a while during the day making it difficult to operate, navigate and especially type on the phone.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 2:24 AM

299 replies

Jun 1, 2021 1:24 PM in response to deepak34

Same here. No issues after screen replacement in my iPhone X and now nothing at with iPhone 12. I think we are talking about different issues though. Mine was just that the screen wasn’t responsive in some areas after iOS 14 upgrade.

In any case, Apple support doesn’t review these forums so escalate when you call them until you get your issues resolved.

Sep 26, 2020 9:11 PM in response to h_alneyadi

I have the same issue; however I don't see any improvement after locking and unlocking it. After updating to iOS 14, I noticed some concerning lag times, especially when typing text messages. I would be on my 3rd to 5th word and the screen was still blank. Over the last week, it has become worse and worse.

I updated to 14.0.1 tonight, did several forced restarts, reset my settings... nothing helped. At times my phone seems like it is controlled by someone else. Apps open and close, parts of the screen light up that I did not touch. My phone is not functional now. I cannot send messages effectively. Any small task is incredibly arduous.

I was on Apple Chat for almost 2 hours tonight with 3 different Advisors. The last one was the most helpful and set up a call with a senior advisor... but I have not heard from anyone. They said 5-10 minutes... still no call.

One advisor flat out told me I needed a replacement.... at my cost. $1200 + taxes. No way... not when this is clearly an iOS 14 issue. Hopefully this can be resolved soon....

Sep 27, 2020 5:52 PM in response to kalee256

Hello

I am having the same issues. Touchscreen move by itself as if someone is controlling it. Also, TOP LEFT AND RIGHT CORNERS are unusable and I cant access Control Center from the top right corner. Thought I was the only one. Hope someone from IT is reading it because it is a nightmare to use the iphone with this IOS14 update.

Oct 2, 2020 4:25 AM in response to h_alneyadi

I found a fix that might work for others with this issue (especially if typing is the problem). Go into your keyboard settings (settings-general-keyboard) and disable the slide to type function. After disabling that function, my keyboard is no longer the bane of my existence.

This issue had been driving me insane since it makes the phone almost unusable. Hopefully it stays fixed and Apple resolved the issue WHICH IS CLEARLY A SOFTWARE PROBLEM!!!

Jan 7, 2021 10:04 PM in response to h_alneyadi

Update—I took my iPhone to Genius Bar at Apple Store (Express) and asked for the iPhone X Display Module Replacement Program for Touch Issues. The program ended already technically, since it's valid for only 3 years since the first sale of iPhone X, but I had compelling evidence with videos of the iPhone acting up—as well as case numbers from AppleCare reps in October/November 2020 who never mentioned the program, though they should have—and Apple's Geniuses ended up replacing the screen on the house.

I'd suggest trying this before it's too late! https://support.apple.com/iphone-x-display-module-replacement-program

Mar 22, 2021 8:47 AM in response to CrouchingWeasel

AFAIK, it won't be fixed in SW/Firmware... The fix to the people experiencing this need to get their screen replaced for free..

https://support.apple.com/iphone-x-display-module-replacement-program

at least for iPhone X... i haven't experienced this issue at all with iPhone 12 and iOS 14 latest software...

and i know it was weird that this didn't happen with iOS 13 with the same phones but i guess it is cheaper for apple to replace screens than to fix the sw for older iPhones...

my two pesos... go get your screens replaced for free

Nov 11, 2020 12:28 PM in response to h_alneyadi

Experiencing the same problem with Ios 14.2 with iphone Xs

Also ios 14.2 upgrade introduced other bugs

• Receiving phone calls now use headphone mode with Amber dot present above signal bars
  • Accessing Control Center (swipe down from upper right corner) does not work everytime
  • and this annoying Erratic screen behavior. Screen will just jump around without touching anything. Removing ottobox cover has no effect

Very Annoying

Dec 1, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Annoyeddee

NOTHING WILL SOLVE OR WORK.

Because I tried everything:

I only have these problem on iPhone XS.

Our other device are working fine - XR and 11 Pro Max.

1. Reset all settings - didn’t work.
  2. Disable swipe to write (keyboard settings)- didn’t work
  3. Disable 3D touch - didn’t work
  4. Delete all data and contents (Factory reset/ default) then set up as a new iPhone (not from back up) no other apps installed - still didn’t work.
  5. Did a DFU mode and install fresh iOS 14.2 from scratch - did not solve the problem.
  6. removed the case- didn’t work
  7. removed the screen protector- didn’t work.
  8. I know for the fact that my screen was working fine and no damage whatsoever before the automatic update to 14.2 and I am not going to go thru that path replacing the screen as it’s probably not going to solve the issue of ghosting. I don’t want to waste anymore money on the phone that we already paid too much for it.
  9. the last hope would be apple get this fix and roll out a update.

Mar 1, 2021 1:26 PM in response to deepak34

after I updated to IOS 14.4, i thought that things were a bit better. But since that update, my touch screen is awful! Uncontrollable mist of the time.

in the middle of typing an imessage, my phone will just call the person I’m iMing. It makes the weirdest sound when it does it too.

while typing an iM, suddenly I’ll be on the internet.

while typing an email or an iM my keyboard will type three or 4 lines of ambiguous test.

Sep 27, 2020 7:26 AM in response to kalee256

Locking and unlocking the phone is just a workaround to temporarily fix the situation when you need to tap on a particular area, but it doesn’t completely fix the issue, just for a limited amount of time until it happens again.

However it doesn’t seem to work for me with regards to the keyboard as the right-far-end of the screen becomes inoperable, for example the letter -P- is impossible to press currently. And if you’re wondering how the letter exists in my message is because I’m typing in landscape mode.

I'm wondering if this issue will be solved soon with an update or not.

Sep 29, 2020 7:51 AM in response to h_alneyadi

I'm having the same issue, as are clearly many others here. The phone is becoming unusable. I am rapidly moving towards going back to my somewhat ancient, but perfectly functional Samsung Note 8 that just never did anything of this kind through many years of service. And if the answer from Apple is to buy another Apple product....yeah, no. That won't be happening. Unless Steve Jobs is resurrected.

Oct 1, 2020 10:31 AM in response to h_alneyadi

I'm having the same issue on my iPhone XS after the 14.01 update.

As soon as I updated to iOS 14 my phone became slow to respond with some ghost touches occurring randomly. I have tried restarting, locking and unlocking.... the problem isn't improving at all. My phone screen was replaced one time by Apple and has never had touchscreen issues at any time prior, even when the screen was cracked.

Seriously ****** over this issue since the iOS 14 update has made my phone nearly unusable.

Oct 1, 2020 7:59 PM in response to uncledavey

At the end, I took my iphone X for a checkup and repair. It seems SPRAYING alcohol all over the screen (due to covid 19 measures) is not a good idea as it damaged the top side of my screen. I could not use touchscreen on that area. It seems ios 14 just made things worst as it just took the last breath on my screen. it seems Alcohol penetrates somehow into the screen module and do big damage because it is a solvent. I learnt it the hard and expensive way as I replaced the whole screen and also my battery was highly degraded (not related to the main issue)

This might be an isolated thing regarding ios14 and my screen. Use some wipes but dont spray alcohol all over it. . I cant stress this advice enough.

After replacing the screen and battery, it seems the iphone X works fine with ios 14 installed....for now.

Touchscreen acting strange after iOS 14 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.