Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play/pause button not working Apple Tv 4K

I’m having problem with the play/pause button. I think the problem appeared after the ios 14 update. I reset the device but no change. I read another post about this issue that was posted in April by Benjamin1990 but there appeared to be no solution at that point. Does anyone have the same problem now? Solutions?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 3:00 PM

Same issue, updated to iOS 14.2 and now the play pause button does not work in app dsfile while playing video's.

Menu button does not back up one level inside the app, it just takes you out to the app selection page.

-

glitchy updates from Apple is unfortunately starting to be the norm, user beware, always check for "update issues" online before updating apple products.

-

It would be nice if updates on apple TV could be rolled back at least...

-

48 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2020 3:00 PM in response to Michael Paine

Same issue, updated to iOS 14.2 and now the play pause button does not work in app dsfile while playing video's.

Menu button does not back up one level inside the app, it just takes you out to the app selection page.

-

glitchy updates from Apple is unfortunately starting to be the norm, user beware, always check for "update issues" online before updating apple products.

-

It would be nice if updates on apple TV could be rolled back at least...

-

Dec 28, 2020 2:50 AM in response to anthonyfromimperial

That fix worked for me! This entire time I was thinking the issue was with the video codecs if specific files. But never thought it would be an audio AAC/3 issue!!

Apple support is not aware of this last time I checked but glad these forums are able to help them out (hopefully a new beta update soon??)

here are the steps:

• settings> video and audio > audio format > change format > new format > change too Stereo only

by choosing change format ON the 5.1 audio codec will recreate the pause/play issue. Only use stereo sound.

Oct 3, 2020 2:36 PM in response to tgronvall

It seems that some ATV apps are having user interface problems after the tvOS14 update. Volume control no longer works on a few of my apps. You may have encountered a similar problem with play/pause. For example users have reported Youtube freezing when they press play/pause.

I have now turned auto-updates off in my ATV settings and will wait a week or so to check for user complaints before updating tvOS. Sad that it has come to this!

Dec 7, 2020 3:09 PM in response to tgronvall

Wow - finally found this thread

when I pause 4K/hdr content my device freezes up. Sometimes there’s even a glitch on the scrubbing line. I’m forced to exit the COMPUTERS app and to re-open it.

Im playing 4K HDR content from my MacBooks iTunes library. Used to work seemlessly - but have had difficulties as of late.

Took my AppleTV to the store for a diagnosis. They ended up giving me Just a new AppleTV 4K and after I updated it to 14.2 (mistakenly - like an idiot) all my problems came back!

Dec 22, 2020 8:05 PM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

I’m having the exact same problem starting a few days ago and only with Apple content, Disney+ works fine.

if I try to pause an Apple movie with the Siri remote on a 4th gen Apple TV HD, nothing happens, it just keeps playing.

If I use the remote app to pause it works but then it won’t play again.

If I then quit the movies app, reload it and try to resume the movie it errors out.

Playing from the start works but then can’t pause again or using the app, skip forward and play doesn’t work either.

I've tried re-pairing the remote and restarting the Apple TV, nothing works....

Dec 23, 2020 1:58 PM in response to darkpyksel

For me it’s not a remote issue it’s definitely the software. Got a replacement unit and the moment I updated it to the later 14.2 software...all homesharing content (not on streaming services) has issues playing.

ice been using Olez Pass as a substitute, especially for 4K content.

but half my files still don’t play on my Apple TV 4K with the latest beta update.

ive submitted feedback to apple but no change as of yet.

Dec 25, 2020 7:09 PM in response to Soussdagoose

+1 here

I thought I was going crazy but it sounds very similar to what all of you are describing. Various home sharing content works fine - other files won't play, some will start playing but cannot pause or otherwise lock up the "Computers" app when attempting to pause or play. All of the file permissions and config are identical and many of the ones having problems are relatively small files while massive ones play fine. It has been difficult to pinpoint the source of the issue. Strangely it's just the Apple TV devices in the house - iOS devices on my network can stream all of the home sharing content with no problems.

2 x Apple TV HD 4th Gen on tvOS 14.3

1 x Apple TV 4k on tvOS 14.3

Dec 26, 2020 12:20 AM in response to anthonyfromimperial

Sorry to hear it but glad that more people are catching on. Homesharing is not so popular unless your really in the ecosystem - that’s why there’s not too much attention on this specific issue.

Ive been leaving beta updates on in the hopes Apple releases a patch. But until then I’m relying on Plex to do the job on my Apple TV.

All my other devices stream fine.

Lately it seems like 90% of my home sharing files won’t play via computers app. PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS APPLE.

Dec 26, 2020 8:17 AM in response to tgronvall

My situation exactly. Exact Same hardware. I have tried using the Apple TV app on my iPhone 11 pro max (fully updated). Exact same issue, play, pause, menu etc; is a total disaster.

My setup. Playing videos from my iTunes library; 2017 iMac (Mojave).

I finally pulled my older generation Apple TV to test my network. It works perfectly. Model A1625, OS 14.2. It is working.

my Latest generation Apple TV is bricked. It just doesn't work. I will be contacting Apple soon.

Dec 26, 2020 1:06 PM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

If the play pause button on the remote was broken, it would not work when in the Movies Anywhere app.

There is something going on in the software of the Apple related apps on the Apple TV.

Please take a closer look at the information being provided by all of these posts to find out what the issue is. We are a community of competent individuals and love the products you make. Right now, something is wrong and we are trying to help you identify what that is.

Thank you for listening.

Dec 26, 2020 4:25 PM in response to Jktcktt

After installing TVOS 14.3 pausing videos on home sharing content locks up both my Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD. Only option is to hit the home button a few times. Upgrading to TVOS 14.4 (beta) doesn't fix the issue.

Users on Macrumors forum https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/computers-app-tvos-14-3-unable-to-unpause.2275448/ are having the same issue.

As a work around I'm using Plex for home sharing content.

Play/pause button not working Apple Tv 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.