Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After the update Catalina 10.15.7 have problems with the Internet connection

Hello!

After yesterday's MAC OS Catalina 10.15.7 update, today I had a problem with the WiFI connection.

The connection is excellent, the icon shows that everything is fine, but the Internet periodically disappears. Yesterday, after the update, I did not notice any problems. Today it started, it's impossible to work, after turning off and turning on WiFi, the Internet works for 5-10 minutes and then problems again.

There were no such problems before the update.

I have an Airport Express router (firmware 7.81). Rebooting the router, resetting the settings does not help.

No problem with other devices like PS4, TV, Windows laptops.

Next to the Macbook is an old DELL XPS running Windows - Wi-Fi and internet are great, no problem.

PS: Iphone is experiencing similar issues after updating to 14.0.1.

For the first time in 10 years of using Apple devices, I faced such a problem. When nearby old Windows laptops are working fine and new Apple devices are not working (((

Please help. At the moment, the devices cannot work stably due to these problems.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 9:13 AM

161 replies

Nov 18, 2020 1:15 PM in response to BoGet777

My Wifi stopped working after an update. I followed the advice to delete the Wifi in the Network Preferences list and then when I went to add it back there was nothing there.

Seems like the laptop wasn't recognizing the wifi hardware. I found this other solution by Adrian Try on softwarehow that worked.

1. "Try restoring the default settings for your hardware (including your Wi-Fi adapter) by resetting your NVRAM. First, shut down your computer, then when you boot it, hold down Option+Command+P+R until you hear the startup chime."

https://www.softwarehow.com/fix-mac-wifi-problems/?unapproved=92539&moderation-hash=711a2d6ca6cb4b17f9af877493bf6a31#comment-92539

Sep 30, 2020 2:07 PM in response to AParyan

I too have the same problem. I updated my Mac Book Pro (2019) to 10.15.7 over the weekend and when I started using it for work on the Monday the internet access keeps hanging. Wifi signal is strong and does not drop. The only way to get an internet connection again is to turn off the wifi on my MacBook and then enable it again. But this is only a temporary fix, it is unpredictable how long the internet access works, it can be 10 mins to 1 hour before I have to turn the wifi on and off again.

I don't realise the internet connection has dropped until one of the following apps stops working - Outlook, MS Teams, Safari, OneDrive, Zoom and Bluejeans.

I have no issues with other laptops, iPhones or SmartTvs in the house.

Having seen the above post i have decided to hold off on updating my iPhone 11 to 14.0.1.

Apple - Please fix this issue asap as I use my laptop everyday for work.

Nov 2, 2020 10:39 AM in response to AParyan

Once you have removed the CMM software via the developer's instructions you can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For XXXX software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macpaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you have problems moving the files to the Trash bin boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down, rerun Find Any File and move the files to the Trash bin from there. Then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 2, 2020 10:45 AM in response to Gw241

Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance. It is totally harmless and does not publish any personal information. It even shortens disk drive names from like "Machintosh HD" to "M**********D".

Have you run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac? There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

AParyan ran it and found out what was causing the problem.

Oct 12, 2020 8:34 PM in response to BoGet777

Hey again, Here are some steps that have worked for me in the past with similar network issues, Hope one or all helps out. (And forgive me if these steps were previously posted):

Although many use VPN’s on Mac’s you may not have to completely uninstall it but in System Preferences > Network If there is a VPN interface on the left column, click on it and hit the “-“ to remove it. (Can be added later).

Create a new network location:

In the same spot next to “Locations” on the top click on it, click “Edit Locations”, hit the “+” to add one, give it a unique name, hit “Done” then “Apply” on the bottom.

This will disconnect the network for a few seconds usually.

In those SAME settings, hit “Advanced” on the bottom right > Proxies, if anything in here is enabled other than the very bottom one, that you or your network administrator didn’t configure, de-select it, hit “Done” and again “Apply”,

Next go to System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items, remove (even temporarily) all of the items below in the same fashion.”.

Hir the Apple Logo > Restart, be sure to un-check the option to re open apps, then hit “Restart”.

Test the issue after that.

Also making sure the date, time, time zone and region to make sure they are correct (Even though it was working fine before the update), this can all be done in System Preferences.

If those options fail, do a Time Machine backup, save a separate copy of these files if need be and then delete:

Finder > Go > Computer > Macintosh HD (Usually) > Library:

Save and delete all the contents of:

Extensions (Except Apple Mobile Device)

Internet Plugins

Launch Agents

Launch Daemons

Scripting Additions

Startup Items

(I might do the same for the ~/Library (Hidden).

Restart and test.

I’d say if it still happens and across all good networks and users yet other devices connect fine:

First boot your Mac to recovery mode:

Startup holding Command R,

When there, click on “Get Help Online” (Connect to your network first).

If it works just fine here, but not while logged into any admin account, or safe boot, or across any good network, and the above steps failed:

Backup up this folder also in the /Library:

Preferences/System Configuration/,

Then delete from inside the folder:

Preferences.plist

(You might also see a Preferences.plist(Old) as well, remove that as well if there.

Network Interfaces.plist

Com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

Restart and test again.

It’s not as tedious as it seems most of those steps just take a minute or so, so hope some of the first steps help, they’re worth a try, considering it’s kind of important to connect to the internet nowadays!

Worst comes to worst, and it works while in recovery mode, backup/erase/install if needed, hope it works out!

I’d try the net location first if you haven’t, and definitely any VPN interface.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202480

Oct 26, 2020 9:46 AM in response to BoGet777

I am also experiencing WiFi connection issues after updating to 10.15.7.

Every time my laptop wakes up after going to sleep, the WiFi disconnects and an exclamation mark appears over the WiFi icon.

The only temporary fix I have found is turning the WiFi off, leaving it for at least 10 seconds, then turning it on again. More often than not it disconnects again and I have to do this fix 2 or 3 times before the connection becomes stable.

No other devices connected to the same WiFi (mobile, work laptop) have this issue.

I have never downloaded cleanmymac to this laptop, I have removed the antivirus software (Malwarebytes), I have recreated the configuration files and have reset my DNS settings but still no luck.

For reference my Macbook Pro is a 13-inch, Mid 2012 model.

Etrecheck report attached:

Jan 8, 2021 7:47 PM in response to Nikoolinux

Hey again!

Did you happen to try my steps to reset the System Config preferences? I’d give that a shot if you haven’t yet, considering what you’ve done so far, I typically do that as a last step, (Although sometimes I wished I’d have just done that from the get go and saved my self time).

Anyhow, the same does happen for you in recovery mode? That usually indicates an issue with either the hardware, or the network, (Even if the router needs a firmware update just to communicate with one particular device), as you are booted from the recovery partition not the startup partition at all.

May also be a good idea to run a HW diagnostic to be sure and rule that out, (Although it doesn’t always find everything, it’s pretty comprehensive):

Run HW Diagnostics:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Some may reject this saying “it worked just fine before the update” but sometimes an update unveils an already existing HW problem. Hope that’s not the case, (Usually not). Cheers.

Jan 25, 2021 9:07 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Here's my report. I have the same problem. I updated the user's mac and now the network connection cuts out. I can be on wireless and be fine for a while and then wireless stops and nothing will get it to reconnect so I connect to wired network. Then that works for a while so I try wireless and now that is working. I'm so lost on a MAC. :(

Oct 9, 2020 11:47 PM in response to BoGet777

Found the solution....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. First point if you're using any third party cleaning software like cleanMyMac x then just remove it from your machine. Then follow the below tutorial.

If anyone is still facing an issue in latest update of catalina then i would suggest just go through this video tutorial before reseting your mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oGuoGI9U4

I had tried many ways to fix the issue, even i had ordered the custom connector which is having ethernet cable but found this solution which perfectly worked fine for my laptop(Macbook pro 13'' 2020).

Oct 31, 2020 9:02 AM in response to BoGet777

after reading the solutions here i tried almost each and everything ( Nothing worked ).

but the optimal solution that i had was actually using my time machine and revert back to Catalina 10.15.6. (Restore backup).

After all the agony of restoring and waiting for 2 hours , everything went back to normal.

that is the best solution.

make sure to back up any important data that is not backuped on the time machine on an anothet hard disk or partition.

Again when i got back my mac wifi working i made sure to delete

• clean my mac
  • malware bytes
  • any untrusted applications
  • all the cache and temp files of those third party apps.

Turned off auto update for macos and updates for any sort of patches.

ill wait until they release a stable version of big sure

Nov 23, 2020 5:10 AM in response to BoGet777

I also have a deep issue on my old MacBook Pro mid 2012 which I updated 10.15.7 a week ago but there are some huge problems that I've been facing like:

• the transparent dock and menu bar is now pure solid black even I didn't switch on to toggling the Increase Contrast on the accessibility settings
  • App Store makes my entire system freeze every time I have to open it to install new apps :( I need to force my laptop to shutdown to use my MacBook again.
  • I have a problem with the motion which I didn't have any issues before with the previous version.
  • Slow performance

I love my MacBook Pro Mid 2012, since I bought this I don't have any plans to upgrade since this is the most hefty and durable feel I could hold from Apple. Since upgrading to this last Catalina version.. seems like Apple wants my MacBook freeze to death because of this issues. It's so unfair.

After the update Catalina 10.15.7 have problems with the Internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.