Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calculator widget

Please, add a standard calculator in widgets in Mac OS Big Sur

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 10:20 AM

71 replies

Nov 18, 2020 6:30 AM in response to kris_wlcpl

kris_wlcpl wrote:

Well, it was very handy and I used it multiple times a day. Apple why?

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. No one here can answer why Apple does a particular thing. And, Apple doesn't answer that sort of question here.

You can let Apple know you'd like to see it back here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, considers some of the workarounds posted in this thread.

Nov 16, 2020 11:56 PM in response to Catalyst_

I was missing it, too, so I used Automator to create a simple Open Calculator quick action:

It adds a menu item to my Services menu and launches the standard Calculator app that comes with macOS. Then I selected Services Preferences from the Services menu (which opens System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Services) to assign a keyboard shortcut. Now I can press F19 to launch the calculator:

I wanted to add another Quick Action to quit Calculator, but the Calculator app doesn't support Services, so I still use Cmd-Q when I want to quit. Not a big deal, but not as convenient as pressing F19 a second time to quit.

At least now from any app that supports Services, I can press F19, perform my simple calculations, and Cmd Q to quit. It's even better than the Notification Center widget I was using in Mojave or the Dashboard widget I used before, because as soon as I press F19, the Calculator app has focus and I can begin typing on my number pad. Previously, I often had to use the mouse to give the calculator widgets focus before I could enter numbers.

Nov 21, 2020 2:03 PM in response to Catalyst_

With a macro app like Keyboard Maestro you can set key combinations to open apps, If you have your keyboard setup so the F keys are not active, i.e. you need to use the Fn key with the F key to get the desired feature to work, you can setup an F key to open the Calculator app.

Go to the App Store and search for "keyboard shortcuts" for a list of potential candidates. It'll be much quicker than going to the widgets.

Nov 13, 2020 11:19 AM in response to sportsman800

sportsman800 wrote:

Same here. Really miss having the calculator on the side bar to slide out and use. Big disappointment it is not there.

I really hate to see someone be disappointed. So, I would recommend looking at PCalc in the App Store. It no longer has a Notification Widget because of the changes Apple imposed. However, it does have a popup from the Menu Bar and I think is the best calculator available for Macs. Plus it's not buggy like the Mac calculator.

Nov 17, 2020 11:37 AM in response to Catalyst_

Completely agree, Apple has gone on a streak of removing functionalities that were nothing but convenient in the name of .. I'm honestly not even sure.

If I can customize the control menu on my iPhone to have access to calculator, for example, why wouldn't I be able to on Mac? Why update it if you're not going meet the standards you've set yourself!? So annoying.

Calculator widget

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.