Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer problem mac OS Big Sur

Printing went well on Catalina. Now printing stopped and showed message 'Filter failed'. Using printer Lexmark C543 and removed and entered the printer once. Same problem. Printer supply is visible in browser. Seems to be OS problem.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 3:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 8:31 AM

Previously posted:

Just installed Big Sur on my Mac mini 2018.

Tried to print to a Canon Image Class MF 4150 and then to a Brother HL-L2360D printers to no avail.

Had to RESET the Mac printing system to solve a problem.  

As directed in Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh14001/mac 

If you can’t print to your printer and you’ve tried all other solutions, reset the printing system. This process deletes all printers from your list of printers, deletes information about all completed print jobs, and deletes all printer presets.

Important: First, try other troubleshooting techniques in Solve printing problems on Mac.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
  2. Press and hold the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  3. After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.
  4. Re-add any printers.

OR GOOGLE

"iMore re how to reset printing system Mac" which includes screen shots

146 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 8:31 AM in response to Daniel Marr

Previously posted:

Just installed Big Sur on my Mac mini 2018.

Tried to print to a Canon Image Class MF 4150 and then to a Brother HL-L2360D printers to no avail.

Had to RESET the Mac printing system to solve a problem.  

As directed in Apple Support: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mh14001/mac 

If you can’t print to your printer and you’ve tried all other solutions, reset the printing system. This process deletes all printers from your list of printers, deletes information about all completed print jobs, and deletes all printer presets.

Important: First, try other troubleshooting techniques in Solve printing problems on Mac.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
  2. Press and hold the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  3. After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.
  4. Re-add any printers.

OR GOOGLE

"iMore re how to reset printing system Mac" which includes screen shots

Nov 17, 2020 2:44 PM in response to Speleman

After the update, my Lexmark MS415dn stopped working, "Filter" Failed. I went to the Lexmark support page, no drivers available for the Big Sur update yet.

Additionally after the update when I purchase postage though PayPal, the label appears blank. If I close the page and select "reprint label, it appears and can be printed on my backup printer made by Epson.

I tried to install monochrome Lexmark printer driver and the installation failed. The only driver available was for OS 10.9, nothing yet for 11.01.

Still working on both issues.

May 7, 2021 5:05 PM in response to nananan72

Hello nananan72,

A Canon MF628Cw is mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting the driverless AirPrint technology, so you should be able to use this printer without drivers when connected to a network.

Drivers/software from the printer manufacturer may add functionality (slightly different drivers may be offered in different regions).

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/laser/laserbase_mf_series/i-sensys_mf628cw.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=macos%2011%20(big%20sur)

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/mf628cw/color-imageclass-mf628cw?tab=drivers_downloads

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 16, 2020 10:54 AM in response to Benfulton03

You're not talking to Apple representatives here. We're all users like yourself. You should contact Apple via the phone number at the bottom of this page to talk to Customer Support.

If you have problems give the free, open source print driver Gutenprint. You can see if it supports your model here: Gutenprint Supported Printers  It might get you up and running till the official driver is found.

Nov 22, 2020 10:04 AM in response to twenty_eight

You don't have to blindly accept and install all offered updates. One should due their due diligence and find out what the consequences of a system upgrade will be. When we went from Mojave to Catalina we lost the use of all 32 bit apps.

What happens when you try to launch Quark and Oki? Do you get any warning message. Do you have the latest versions of them? Check with the developers to see if you do or not.

Dec 19, 2020 11:01 AM in response to Speleman

I have the Lexmark CX317DN connected to my network and was having the same problem. This may work for other Lexmark printers (or other brands), but I haven't had to try. The "Generic Postscript" workaround allowed me to print, however I lost some functionality such as two-sided printing. My solution that has worked (so far) is as follows:

1) Find the IP address of the printer on the network (mine is 192.168.1.120, yours is probably different)

2) Open System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners, and click the "+" to add a printer

3) Click the globe in the center near the top

4) Type the IP address of the printer in the "Address" field (mine is 192.168.1.120, yours is probably different)

5) In the "Protocol" field, select "AirPrint"

6) In the "Use" field, select "AirPrint"

7) Name the printer whatever you'd like

8) Click the "Add" button

9) See if it works

Keep in mind, this will probably only work if your printer is connected directly to your network. To find the IP address, open the printer web page by clicking the "Options & Supplies..." button and then clicking the "Show Printer Web Page..." button. The address should be listed at the top of the page:

If it isn't, while looking at the printer web page, click on "Settings" on the left:

then click on "Network/Ports" under "Other Settings":

then click on "TCP/IP":

and the address should be the third thing listed:

If you're comfortable adjusting your router settings, while you're there, it might be a good idea to click "Set static IP address" and then click "Submit", and then adjust the settings on your router to reserve that address for your printer. That (should) prevent the address from changing in the future and you having to repeat this whole process.

Nov 16, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Speleman

If this is anything like my HP printer problem, with a rebuild of my system for Big Sur, I found the drivers would not install from Apple Support and downloaded from the HP site either. It looked like the present OS build number was not entered into the driver installer knowledge base.

I eventually used "Pacifist" to install the files bypassing the OS system checks and now have a working printer again.

https://www.charlessoft.com

Printer problem mac OS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.