Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Qi charging iPhone 12

Hi. I have a new 2021 Volvo XC60 with a built in wireless charger for phones.

I also have a brand new iPhone 12.

I can’t get the phone to connect to the car (or visa versa). It connects for a second and the phone displays the battery in green (charging) but then it disconnects and the Volvo displays an error message

Wireless charging not active clear the charging area from other objects.

the charging unit is on.

I heard that others are experiencing issues with Qi charging the iPhone 12. Where do we report these specific issues to Apple? Here?

thanks

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 11:00 AM

I am the original poster. Since I first posted this I have done some research. My friend’s iPhone XR charges on the pad in my car.

I called both Volvo and Apple. Apple ignored the problem although a different post said they now realize there is an issue with some charger compatibility are are trying to work on a fix.

Volvo actually said they are aware of the issue and are working to resolve the problem. They didn’t say if they were working with Apple or on their own. Now, it has to be a problem/requirement with the iPhone 12 but perhaps Volvo can and will make a change to their software controlling their charger to make it work in our cars. At minimum I’m sure they will get future cars to work with it.

I'm giving both companies time in hopes they resolve it.

90 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2020 11:00 AM in response to vector13

I am the original poster. Since I first posted this I have done some research. My friend’s iPhone XR charges on the pad in my car.

I called both Volvo and Apple. Apple ignored the problem although a different post said they now realize there is an issue with some charger compatibility are are trying to work on a fix.

Volvo actually said they are aware of the issue and are working to resolve the problem. They didn’t say if they were working with Apple or on their own. Now, it has to be a problem/requirement with the iPhone 12 but perhaps Volvo can and will make a change to their software controlling their charger to make it work in our cars. At minimum I’m sure they will get future cars to work with it.

I'm giving both companies time in hopes they resolve it.

Dec 17, 2020 10:12 AM in response to frankaren

I connected with volvo customer care - they indicated this is a known issue but do not intend to issue a fix:

Regrettably iPhone 12 models do not conform to the Qi standard for wireless charging because they implemented a magnet array on the back of the phone (Apple MagSafe). All non-apple wireless phone chargers detect the magnets as a foreign object and will not allow the charger to work or it may only work very intermittently. For customers with iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro smartphones, regular charging via the USB or USB-C is still available.

There will be no fix for this. This change was made by Apple and they instruct people to use their MagSafe chargers.

Dec 4, 2020 10:48 AM in response to aagerter

We just took delivery of a 2021 XC90 this week. Neither an 11 Pro or 12 Pro Max will charge on the Volvo pad. We receive the obstruction error (there is nothing in the vehicle except us and the phone). Both are running 14.2.1. No case and still no luck getting either to charge.

Has anyone successful had an iPhone charge on the Volvo pad?

Dec 4, 2020 12:08 PM in response to RogerS61

Thanks for this. Interestingly my wife's 11 Pro doesn't want to charge on the Volvo pad either. It obviously doesn't have the magsafe of an iphone 12. That led me to think it's the Volvo software. Both charge on a bunch of different Qi chargers we have no problem. Hopefully whatever the root cause it is a software fix. I also submitted the issue to Volvo via email. I figure the more people that complain the more likely it is to get fixed.

Dec 5, 2020 9:12 AM in response to vector13

Same here. Brand new XC90 and the iPhone 12 pro max isn’t charging on it. (Wife’s XR does).

Volvo have done a full set of updates to the software but no joy. Haven’t tried the reboot trick yet but that’s only going to be a workaround.

Its annoying as I paid extra for the Qi pad. The dealer stated that Volvo are aware of the issue but no fix from them as yet

Dec 12, 2020 4:38 PM in response to RogerS61

I have a new 2021 XC60 and an iPhone 12 also (and the same exact issue happens). I also bought a new 2021 S60 and the issue occurs there. I took out an old iPhone XS and it charges fine on the XC60 and S60. I'm really hoping a software update soon will fix the issue... maybe an iPhone engineer also buys a 2021 Volvo and escalates this issue to the top of the backlog! ;)

Dec 29, 2020 1:56 AM in response to RogerS61

I have exactly the same problem with QI charging in my XC40 2019 - So far it worked perfectly past 2 years with iPhone X, iPhone 11 and now with my new iPhone 12 I always have to reposition the Phone to be charged. Since it worked with all previous Phone Generations and other Android Phones from friends I assume it´s related to iPhone 12. I´m thinking of switching to an other Phone if this gets not solved.

Jan 8, 2021 2:38 PM in response to mgsfca

Thank you very much mgsfca!

My wife and I have a Volvo XC60 2021 (early) with Qi and we both have iPhones.

My iPhone 8 charges perfect on the charge pad in the XC60 while my wife's brand new iPhone 12 mini does not charge in the XC60 (but both are charging perfect on our in-house Apple MagSafe charger).

I spoke to a senior engineer at Apple Denmark and he told me that Apple, Denmark were not aware of any problems... strange...

I guess I'll have to buy either a new car or buy my wife a(nother) new phone :-)

Jan 27, 2021 1:40 AM in response to RogerS61

I picked up my 2021 XC60 in December and at that time I had an iPhone 11. Wireless charging worked flawlessly. A couple of days ago I bought an iPhone 12 and realised the same thing you have, that the wireless charging doesn't work with the new iPhone 12... :( I'm very disappointed about that! I saw the post about iPhone 12 not being QI compliant because of the magnets, but Volvo should be able to build some sort of compatibility mode that would allow the iPhone 12 to charge wirelessly. I hope Volvo and Apple can work together to resolve this issue!

Qi charging iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.