Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMi to dvi on new mac mini does not work

2 days ago , i recieved a Mac Mini M1.

HDMI to DVI did not work.

Called Support , told me to send M1 back. Monday I will get a new one.

Asked them , could it not be an overall problem. They laughed with me. On that time I had four people of support on the telephone, they all told me my M1 was defect. "Send it back" Now I read on the net that it is an overall problem. USB-c to DVI would work.

The support people did not know there job my believing. If I had bought my computer in the ALDI I could understand that they did not know, but for certified APPLE support people this is not done.

i try to get compensation I have to buy usb-c to dvi adapter.

I can not understand why apple did NOT test that ???????

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 6:13 PM

Same problem here. I had a mac mini late 2014 and the HDMI to DVI adapter worked fine. Thought it would be an easy purchase. Just plug in the M1 Mini to the monitor, connect the keyboard, mouse and.....

Yup. Nothing. Black screen. No connection. Apple specs say "HDMI 2.0 display video output

• Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)"

The Apple adapter does not work. So it's either a software problem or a hardware problem. Either way, the M1 mini is going back to the store until they resolve the problem. But this is definitely a known problem now.

And for 'den.thed" who suggested buying a new monitor, please send us all $200 each to buy a new monitor and we will gladly oblige. In the meantime, den.thed, acknowledge that Apple says, in writing, that the Mac Mini M1 will be compatible with DVI monitors and APPLE made a error. The consumer DID NOT make the error by having a dvi monitor. People don't buy Mac Mini's because money if falling out of their pockets. Shame on you for even posting that.

103 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 6:13 PM in response to luc134

Same problem here. I had a mac mini late 2014 and the HDMI to DVI adapter worked fine. Thought it would be an easy purchase. Just plug in the M1 Mini to the monitor, connect the keyboard, mouse and.....

Yup. Nothing. Black screen. No connection. Apple specs say "HDMI 2.0 display video output

• Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)"

The Apple adapter does not work. So it's either a software problem or a hardware problem. Either way, the M1 mini is going back to the store until they resolve the problem. But this is definitely a known problem now.

And for 'den.thed" who suggested buying a new monitor, please send us all $200 each to buy a new monitor and we will gladly oblige. In the meantime, den.thed, acknowledge that Apple says, in writing, that the Mac Mini M1 will be compatible with DVI monitors and APPLE made a error. The consumer DID NOT make the error by having a dvi monitor. People don't buy Mac Mini's because money if falling out of their pockets. Shame on you for even posting that.

Nov 22, 2020 8:39 PM in response to Robert Manning1

Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone by sharing a little bit of truth.

see > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface DVI was designed April 1999; 21 years ago

In December 2010, IntelAMD, and several computer and display manufacturers announced they would stop supporting DVI-I, VGA and LVDS-technologies from 2013/2015, and instead speed up adoption of DisplayPort and HDMI. They also stated: "Legacy interfaces such as VGA, DVI and LVDS have not kept pace, and newer standards such as DisplayPort and HDMI clearly provide the best connectivity options moving forward.

Plus if you blink to long, you will also find that DisplayPort is been pushed aside for ThunderBolt 3/USB-C.

FWIW I personally have and maintain a half dozen earlier Mac Mini's. Most are running dual DVI monitors and so I totally understand and feel your pain. I also have/had big plans to upgrade one or 2 of them to the newer M1 Mac Mini, but now I waiting to see how this monitor issue plays out.

Sadly $200 will hardly make a down payment on the Displays that Apple lists under Accessories for the M1.

Displays and Adapters

Dec 13, 2020 11:04 AM in response to Robert Manning1

100% Agree. On a computer with only 2 USB-C ports, I don't want to use one of them full time on the monitor when there is an otherwise-useless HSMI output port there as well.

Very bummed to have bought a new M1 Mac mini and have it not work with any of my monitors out of the box. Now I need to wait a few more days for a USB-C to DVI cable? Ugh. Terrible customer experience.

Nov 23, 2020 8:26 AM in response to Robert Manning1

Robert Manning1 wrote:

The link will give you approximately 50 DVI monitors that also have an HDMI input. Let me know and I'll send you my Venmo link.

That will not be necessary.

And next time you decide to apologize, make it sincere. The only way you would totally understand and feel our pain is if you actually owned an M1 and it didn't work as advertised.

Venting your frustration on me or other users, serves no real purpose. If you have a problem with Apple, then please feel free to contact Apple Support, send Product Feedback and/or return the M1 Mac Mini.

Have a nice day.

Dec 29, 2020 6:15 AM in response to luc134

Please report this to Apple here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macmini.html

This is what I told them:

I bought a new Mac Mini on December 26. The HDMI connection did not work with two older DVI monitors using two different cables. After conferring with Apple support, we returned it for a new Mac Mini, but the problem persists. USB-C to HDMI works. Turns out Apple support boards, Reddit, and MacRumors have discussions about this, and the users seem to have narrowed it down: monitors that support HDCP work with DVI to HDMI, but ones not supporting HDCP do not. Three different Apple support technicians had no idea there was even an issue. Several of us were told it would be escalated to engineering, but still no one seems to know. Please show this to your engineers & support people, please announce this incompatibility publicly, and please find a fix! Thank you. We wasted 2 days on this.

Jan 17, 2021 4:17 PM in response to luc134

I have this same problem. It's the most annoying of all the M1 problems I have. I should be able to connect this monitor that works on everything else I have according to https://support.apple.com/kb/SP823?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Mine is a Dell P1911 19”W and it supports HDCP for those that mentioned it only seems to work on HDCP. I get some error on my monitor that the timing frequency isn't supported and to set the resolution to 1400 x 900. I've been using a USB C hub with HDMI on it from day two. Day one I just used my HDMI TV to set it up so I could isolate the issue. I've used Sidecar to my iPad so I can see what is happening when it's connected. The computer sees the monitor, it knows what it is, and the resolution is set correctly.

I've been holding off contacting Apple but I better so they can get some logs to send to their engineers so we can all hopefully get this fixed.

Jan 23, 2021 9:47 PM in response to Fhjkla

Reporting after my Beta install on my second Volume. HDMI to DVI works. After rebooting out of the volume with the beta and onto my normal volume that is still on 11.1 it is working there as well. It was essentially a Firmware update without needing to do the beta software, except on the volume I'm not using.

If you want to try this. Install MacOS on a second volume per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208891 . Then you just boot to that Volume and enroll in the beta program on beta.apple.com . It will install on the second Volume and leave your actual partition untouched. You better backup before doing this if you need to just in case.

Dec 3, 2020 10:46 AM in response to luc134

So what is the general situation with this issue at the moment? I just received my M1 Mini today and bought a genuine Apple HDMI-DVI adapter only to find out that neither of my monitors work with the Mini. I don't wish to buy yet another adapter and have no plans to replace my old but good Barco monitor for this reason alone.

• Is it a problem that involves all M1 Minis connected via HDMI-DVI to older monitors or only some Minis?
  • Does Apple really know about this or is the support still confused of lost?
  • Can and will Apple do something about this with a software update or is it something that is permanent? Because if it is, my Mini is going back.

Nov 20, 2020 1:58 PM in response to luc134

There are a thousand different HDMI to DVI adapters out there, plus more than a hundred different old DVI monitors and it would be futile for Apple or anyone else to ever test all of them.

Beside DVI monitors are outdated tech. and you really would be better off connecting a newer HDMI Display or HDMI TV to the HDMI port.

While a USB-C to DVI adapter is likely to solve your problem. Sadly you may also find that not all USB-C to DVI adapters are created equal and they too may require some experimenting.

Ideally your best bet in the long run, is to replace that old DVI monitor with a newer HDMI, Display Port or USB-C equipped display.

Nov 23, 2020 5:32 AM in response to den.thed

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search/mode/edu?Ntt=dvi%20monitor&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

The link will give you approximately 50 DVI monitors that also have an HDMI input. Let me know and I'll send you my Venmo link.

And next time you decide to apologize, make it sincere. The only way you would totally understand and feel our pain is if you actually owned an M1 and it didn't work as advertised.

Rob

HDMi to dvi on new mac mini does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.