Question:

Question: Mac crashes frequently after Big Sur upgrade

Several days after I upgraded my iMac Pro 27" 2017 (3GHz 10-Core 64 RAM) to Big Sur, (11.0.1) it started crashing frequently (once or twice a day). It's not just one application; the whole computer crashes and restarts. It seems to happen at a random time; I cannot pinpoint any particular application or action that seems to trigger it.

I'm wondering if other users of iMac Pro are experiencing similar problems or if it's just me. Can anyone think of a reason that this is happening? Before Big Sur, the iMac Pro never used to crash at all, but now it's happening daily.

L.M.

iMac Pro

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 9:10 PM

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

With the help of two senior Apple advisors, I narrowed the cause of original crashes down to some corruption in the System Library folder (not User Library folder) and its incompatibility with Firefox. I was getting ready for clean install in order to wipe the System Library folder clean and solve the problem.

Then Big Sur 11.1 came along, and I upgraded to it. Since the upgrade more than two weeks ago, it has not crashed once. So I assume the upgrade to 11.1 overwrote whatever corrupt file I had in my System Library folder and thereby solved the problem.

I realize that this is not the cause of other people's problems with frequent crashes after upgrade to Big Sur, because some report that clean install did not solve the problem and others report never using Firefox to begin with. So this is just a solution to MY particular problem of frequent crashes after Big Sur. I hope at least some other people experiencing the problem can solve it by upgrading to 11.1.

L.M.

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 12:55 AM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Nov 24, 2020 1:34 AM in response to Lyn Murdock In response to Lyn Murdock

Also seeing the same problem with my 2017 iMac Pro 2017 (3.2GHz 8-Core 64GB Ram Big Sur 11.0.1) . Nothing has changed with my machine other than the Big Sur update, no new programs, no new hardware. All indications are that this is a problem with big Sur.

Nov 24, 2020 1:34 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 28, 2020 3:39 AM in response to niall59 In response to niall59

Okay, I can't be sure that your crashes are caused by the same problem as mine, but mine were caused by Firefox. As soon as I uninstalled Firefox (and deleted all the attendant profile folders) and started using Safari, the frequent crashes stopped. As soon as I reinstalled Firefox, the frequent crashes started happening immediately.

I'm currently asking the Apple Support engineers to investigate why the latest version of Firefox is incompatible with Big Sur, but at least my crashes were caused by Firefox, and now that I'm no longer using it, they stopped completely.

L.M.

Nov 28, 2020 3:39 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 13, 2020 8:18 PM in response to Lyn Murdock In response to Lyn Murdock

2018 Mac Mini, Big Sur. So far I've had two hard crashes. In both instances I lost network connectivity and a minute or two later my Mac rebooted. On a Windows machine.. it happens (although much less frequently now than back in the 'good ol days'), but I've not experienced anything like this in 12+ years of using OSX on a daily basis across a half dozen (at least) Macs... sure I've had to restart to get things right, but never the entire OS failing outright with no chance to save my work or close applications.

Dec 13, 2020 8:18 PM

Reply Helpful (4)

Dec 13, 2020 10:30 PM in response to Frehley2112 In response to Frehley2112

The issue with Catalina was eventually fixed. I had that problem too and I was very relieved when they finally solved it. Now after a week with Big Sur, I'm having crashes again. This has to stop, I'm using my laptop for work and it is impossible to maintain work with random crashes.

Dec 13, 2020 10:30 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2020 9:14 PM in response to Lyn Murdock In response to Lyn Murdock

I use my iMac 2020 3.6ghz I9 128gb of Memory for work and for the second time in two weeks I have had the same problem. Both times directly before a sales meeting where I was the main presenter. The system crashes where I then get the black message in Chinese on the screen followed by constant reboot cycles until I unplug for 30 seconds and reboot while all externals are unplugged.

I have done clean install and still having problem. This has to be fixed immediately, I am rolling back to previous version of OS where it was stable. This is RIDICULOUS !!

Dec 15, 2020 9:14 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2020 9:18 PM in response to JS0422 In response to JS0422

YOU DID CLEAN INSTALL, and it still didn't fix the problem???

I have been working with senior advisors from Apple Care on my problem. We still have not solved the problem, but have been told that clean install would be the proverbial nuclear option that is certain to fix the problem. Your experience changes everything now.

L.M.

Dec 15, 2020 9:18 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2020 10:05 PM in response to mrvco In response to mrvco

I have the same problem on my 2018 mac mini as well. After updating to Big Sur, when I first updated to Big Sur, the problem seems to be

1. if I access any file on a network share via SMB, the network interface card would crash, and I will lost all network conenctivity
  2. Seems to crash more often when I uses zoom or micorsoft teams
  3. when goes into sleep, the 2nd monitor will stop working ( have a dual monitor setting)

After updated to 11.1

1. the problem had gotten worse, the system seems to crash 2-3 times a day with no apparent reason.
  2. It is hard to tell for me if Firefox is the main issue since I run a few apps at the same time.

Dec 15, 2020 10:05 PM

Reply Helpful (3)
User profile for user: Lyn Murdock

Question: Mac crashes frequently after Big Sur upgrade