iPhone 12 pro max keeps dimming

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max and it constantly dims. I made sure the Automatic button was off, it still dims. I went to answer the phone and it had dimmed itself down to an almost completely dark screen. I am constantly having to reset the brightness back to where I can see the screen. Any "bright" ideas?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 6:06 AM

How many time do we have to say we have done this!!!!!! Read the whole discussion before putting forward your useless and irrelevant fixes!!!!! This is an issue with the phone getting hot and the screen dimming!!! The brightness still shows it is turned all the way up!!! No one is having an issue turn off auto-dim!!!! ****

394 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 6:06 AM in response to DangerRanger289

How many time do we have to say we have done this!!!!!! Read the whole discussion before putting forward your useless and irrelevant fixes!!!!! This is an issue with the phone getting hot and the screen dimming!!! The brightness still shows it is turned all the way up!!! No one is having an issue turn off auto-dim!!!! ****

Feb 28, 2021 7:53 PM in response to rjm4261

I called Apple tech support. Eventually got a supervisor. He said with iphone12 there’s new stuff in there that causes the phone to possibly overheat. It auto adjusts brightness regardless of the setting you choose to help with overheating. When it heats up by being in your pocket, exposure to sun, or just general use, you’ll notice it happen. This makes perfect sense for all of us who’ve tried everything. ***** because I have to have my phone at near full brightness to see anything without straining. Wish I would’ve kept my iPhone 8 longer and skipped the 12 in hopes that the next model would have this little nightmare figured out. Totally disappointed. I hope they come up with an iOS fix but it sounds like it’s a hardware design issue. Sorry to break the news to you.

Apr 16, 2021 9:06 AM in response to rjm4261

re iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I've read a lot of these replies....here's one I haven't seen. Look under "Settings; Battery" There's an "Optimized Battery Charging" que with a toggle...turning it off may help "warming" issues while charging, idk.

In the "Battery" que there's also a place to adjust, turn off/on auto brightness. It looks like the area that's in the "Accessibility" que and it may very well be the same adjustment, simply a different way to get to it. Hopefully this helps someone. I realize people may have the dimming issue for different reasons so don't verbally assault me if this isn't your fix. Thx for reading 😊

Apr 15, 2021 11:04 AM in response to 12pmbrightness

Please point out where the auto-dim is.... like i have been saying, there is only ONE auto brightness setting and it is not in here, its is in text and display... and that is off. This is not the issue!! The screen brightness still displays a 100% even when the screen is dimming due to heat! Please stop with these Solutions that don’t work and are irrelevant to the issue

Dec 2, 2020 8:16 PM in response to Brian_P7

Yes to all. It didn't matter what I tried, it would constantly dim. I'm returning the phone anyway so not fooling with it. I'm waiting for the shipping label to arrive. For some reason, it's being slow mailed to me. The 12 pro max keeps breaking down with the hearing aid feature too so it's not worth the money. AND the only reason I was updating was for a better camera, but it ***** as much as the iPhone 8 Plus that I have. Technically, there is nothing new with the iPhone 12 pro max. I don't mean to sound like I'm trolling, I'm just being honest. It was a total let down.

Jan 5, 2021 8:59 AM in response to rjm4261

I am on my 2nd iPhone 12 Pro Max. I am having the same issues, mainly continuing auto dimming. On my second phone I set it up without using iCloud to restore. I set up brand new and I am still having overheating issues, slow to charge, battery drain, speaker issues and the auto dimming. If I were able to go into an Genius Bar I would, but with COVID raging I cannot. I also don’t want to be mailed back a refurbished phone... I guess I have to wait until there is a fix... I miss my 11 Pro Max 😞

Dec 2, 2020 6:54 PM in response to rjm4261

Hello rjm4261,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having trouble with your iPhone's display it keeps dimming. We're happy to help and we might have a brilliant solution for you. To confirm, do you have Auto-Brightness turned off and True Tone? If those features are turned on your screen will automatically dim. To check if Auto-Brightness is turned on, go to Settings > Accessibility > Displays & Text Size > Auto-Brightness.

Check out the following support article:

Adjust the brightness on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

Nov 26, 2021 9:26 AM in response to GLLapple

Well great. I’m still making payments on my phone and just this week I noticed it seemed to be going darker while using it. I thought I was seeing things. Then I caught it first hand and realized what was happening. It seemed as if it was going in the stages of “sleep mode” except not as dark. Then it would brighten back up suddenly. Ughhhh. This angers me. Pay all that money and it messes up before you’ve had it a year.

Oct 17, 2021 11:36 AM in response to simonizer

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures

If your device gets too warm
If the interior temperature of the device exceeds the normal operating range, the device will protect its internal components by attempting to regulate its temperature. If this happens, you might notice these changes:
Charging, including wireless charging, slows or stops.
The display dims or goes black.
Cellular radios enter a low-power state. The signal might weaken during this time.
The camera flash is temporarily disabled.
Performance slows with graphics-intensive or augmented-reality apps or features.
Additionally, if you're navigating, the device might show this alert and turn off the display: "Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down." Navigation still provides audible turn-by-turn directions. When approaching a turn, the display will illuminate to guide you through the turn.

Oct 12, 2021 7:29 AM in response to RaymondCCW

The product seems to have a design flow which prevents it to cool down the heat produced by activities properly handled by other devices.

To try the fixes and solutions mentioned online and here, i have selected 2 set of “normal” activities and tested the non-effects of the fixes:

• outside picture session
  • fly with dgi drone

both got the same results with every tests.

The only improvements identified allowing additional minutes of normal behavior but not fixing anythings are :

• using the phone without case
  • removing the protection glass
  • External cooling

all of it are not acceptable. Can we imagine Canon claiming you cant have a protection lense ?

iPhone 12 pro max keeps dimming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.