Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Problem Turning On Mail" when creating an email address for iCloud Mail with an iPhone

As per the Apple iCloud User Guide, "Create an email address for iCloud Mail" article, I turned on "Mail" in "Settings" and followed the instructions. I was able to identify an email address that is not already taken and proceed through the steps. However, when I press "Done" at the "Confirm Email" step it produces a dialog with the following:

"Problem Turning On Mail

There was a problem turning on your email, try again

OK"

I tried again, multiple times. It does not work.

This issue was also reported by Ntxdude in Apple Communities as "problem turning on mail." In response, ijustwantmyrefundplease reported that turning on Location Services fixed the problem. I confirmed that I already have Location Services enabled.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 9:34 AM

Ha. "resolved" is a bit of a strong word for the situation. Is there anything formal that can be done to get Apple to fix these defects? It seems they do not offer a public bug reporting system.

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 11, 2020 9:27 AM in response to user7284

I was able to work-around this defect in Apple's products. On the iPhone I used Settings -> first entry with my name -> Sign Out. I let it delete all of my iCloud data from the iPhone. I then rebooted and signed back into iCloud in Settings. After this, the instructions in the "Create an email address for iCloud Mail" article worked as documented. Clearly, the iPhone cache management is defective.

Now, on to the next defect. When I log into iCloud on icloud.com, and then select the Mail app, it reports:

"Mail has stopped responding.

An error has prevented this application from working properly. Help Apple improve its products by sending us diagnostic and usage information about Mail.

..."

And all of this is just my attempt to work-around the defect in the Apple iPhone Mail app for its inability to search mail content properly. For details on that defect see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252111520.

Dec 9, 2020 9:39 AM in response to zinacef

I am trying to create a new iCloud email address to be used with my existing iCloud Account. My current Apple ID / iCloud Account uses a @gmail.com address as the username. I have an iCloud account but not an iCloud email address. I am trying to create an iCloud email address for that existing iCloud account.

"Problem Turning On Mail" when creating an email address for iCloud Mail with an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.