Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open PDF on iPhone but can open it on Macbook

Hi,

I'm so frustrated with the mentioned issue where this is really ruining my tasks. I can't view any of my PDF files on my iCloud and am even not able to view any pdf attachment in WhatsApp. I was searching for a solution for the past two days. I did various troubleshooting methods which I saw on google but none was helpful to me.

Troubleshooting methods:

1) Remove all newly installed apps (including alibaba)

2) Sign out and sign in icloud on my phone.

3) restart my phone multiple times

4) install adobe reader and other pdf viewer apps.

5) run IOS updates (runs latest IOS 14.7.1

all my above attempts were failed, and FYI I'm using Iphone 12 pro max. Issue started on two days ago.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 10:10 AM

Having same issues , do not have 3rd party PDF nor ADOBE, frustrating Apple please assist

43 replies

Oct 6, 2021 11:29 AM in response to elangeswaran28

I am having this problem too. No third party apps (that I’m aware of). Had the issue since getting an iPhone 12 mini. Upgraded to iOS 15 but the issue hasn’t resolved. School sends messages with linked pdfs and I can’t view any of them. Getting rather frustrating. Only workaround I currently have is to view via a print app - but this doesn’t let you zoom in - and on a 12 mini - this is rather small! Any help anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks

Aug 11, 2021 9:12 AM in response to elangeswaran28

Greetings elangeswaran28!

Looks like you are running into some trouble with opening PDF files only your iPhone. We want to help! Generally this issue is caused by having another app trying to open those PDF files, do you have any other PDF file viewer apps on your device currently? If so, try removing those and testing once more.

Take care!

Nov 29, 2021 8:47 AM in response to THUNDERF430

I am having basically the same issue as everyone and it’s happened prior and after updating to iOS 15 (iOS 15.1.1 currently installed). When I scan using Adobe Scan then seelect “Open in Acrobat”, the Acrobat Reader app opens and I get an error message the file is unable to open (see attached). This has been going on for the past few months but was never like this before. Please help. Thanks.

Aug 11, 2021 10:56 AM in response to KyleH_1

Hi Kyleh,

Thanks for your response.

Initially, I do not have any 3rd party PDF viewer apps installed on my phone. I've just downloaded Adobe Acrobat reader today to view my PDF files, this is the workaround but as i said I don't have any PDF viewer installed on my device before this.

I had to save my PDF files from whatsapp to my phone memory and then open them from Adobe reader, I'm tired of this.

Nov 25, 2021 11:25 AM in response to elangeswaran28

I have always had the same issue with PDFs on my phone, except it’s usually a “if this is not eventually replaced by the document you’re trying to open…”. It last happened on student aid site and here’s the thing: some PDFs open without any problem, others don’t. I swear corruption isn’t an issue because it’s a government site, however we all know how voluntarily they screw up technology.

Dec 21, 2021 4:10 AM in response to Tharic88

Been having the same error on my iPhone for almost 1 year. The phone did open pdf’s when i first got it, then after an IOS update i couldnt open pdf’s anymore. I can open pdfs on my older ipad but not my new iphone? Still not fixed in 15.2. Been with apple for 13 years, if they cant get a pdf to open on my phone might be time to take my money elsewhere

Can't open PDF on iPhone but can open it on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.