You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MTA*NYCT PAYGO RECOVER charge on credit card

My credit card is constantly getting charged several times for a single ride on the New York City subway's OMNY payment system linked to ApplePay.

OMNY's super convenient to use and I'm a big fan. But regularly I'm charged two or more times for a single trip.

The charge is often called this: MTA*NYCT PAYGO RECOVER on my credit card statement. Sometimes the charge is automatically reversed but other times it appears to not be reversed. It's a little hard to go through my bills to reconcile a bunch of $2.75 charges.

This is a problem. And it's not my problem of holding the phone too close to the machine or something physical like that. In fact, OMNY's not supposed to charge the same card more than once. (When I've tried to pay for a friend, for instance, ApplePay says this card has already been charged and denies me the ability to pay a second time.)

My attachment shows charges relating to two rides but I've been charged for five rides by my credit card company via ApplePay. These charges show up correctly on OMNY's online system. Perhaps they will be reversed and corrected.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 6:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 7:54 AM

I live in Russia and have never been to New York, I don't even have a visa, but I was charged $2.75 twice without even requiring confirmation. I had to block the card... :(

What a F!?

Where did they get my card details? Over the past month, I have only used this card on the Internet once per 6 months and it was about 2 weeks ago, when I transferred some money to my QIWI account.

Apple, please ask for confirmation for each payment. We do not want to lose our money due to your imperfect system!

Similar questions

51 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2021 7:54 AM in response to jta-123

I live in Russia and have never been to New York, I don't even have a visa, but I was charged $2.75 twice without even requiring confirmation. I had to block the card... :(

What a F!?

Where did they get my card details? Over the past month, I have only used this card on the Internet once per 6 months and it was about 2 weeks ago, when I transferred some money to my QIWI account.

Apple, please ask for confirmation for each payment. We do not want to lose our money due to your imperfect system!

Oct 1, 2021 4:16 AM in response to jta-123

Same problem here. They charged me a recover fee of $16 for one day when I didn't even take the train. Just opened a dispute with my credit card but Apple doesn't seem to address the problem with their wallet option and the MTA has not resolved the problem either. Will cancel my credit card all together and use the metrocard old system. This is insane!

Aug 19, 2021 8:24 AM in response to jta-123

I'm having the same issue! I'm being charged when I haven't left the house in days, or being charged multiple times at random hours for one single ride. I've been in discussion with Apple and they say they can't help or refund me since it's an MTA issue. I've disputed charges with my bank but since then more have happened. I've been charged AFTER removing my credit card from the wallet all together. Not sure what to do at this point but the costs are adding up :(

Sep 12, 2021 3:46 PM in response to jta-123

The "PAYGO RECOVER" charges are generally legit. This is what they do when you tap in and they attempt to charge your financial institution but the charge doesn't go through. So what happens is, the next time you try to tap in -- whether it is that day, the next week, or the next month, or probably even if you hand your device/card to a friend and they try to tap in a moment later -- OMNY will charge a "recover" charge to pay for that previous trip (or trips), then another non-"recover" charge for the current trip.

If you have an online account at omny.info, which can be useful, you should be able to see these on the site, if you go to the "Charges" section (not the "Trips" section, since the Trips section doesn't offer this detail). Here's one on mine:

Note that the trip was Aug 15 but the charge is dated Aug 17. That's because of the "recover".

In contrast, here was a trip from Aug 17 which was charged successfully when the trip was made:

This second one even has a time on it in the smaller white box, presumably because the charge was made when the trip was made.

Here is how OMNY explains this process:

Sent: Tuesday, September 7, 2021 12:55 PM

Subject: Negative Balance/Debt Collection

Hi ,

Thank you for contacting OMNY. We have reviewed your account and determined that the account is in good standing and an adjustment is not needed.

When a tap occurs, our device will attempt to communicate with your financial institution and essentially ask permission to collect the fare. In most cases this transaction is successful. However, in your case, we were unable to fully process the charge.

There are a host of reasons for this but, in this case, we did not receive authorization from your bank to collect and process the fare. Even though we did not collect, the system allowed you to ride and as a result your account was declared negative.

When this happens, as it did in your case, the next time you tap, the same communication occurs but an attempt is made to first collect on the previously uncollected trip. The charge in question was to recover the previously uncollected fare and clear the negative balance which allows you to continue using the OMNY system.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused and we are happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to call us at 877-789-6669.

OMNY Customer Support

© 2019-2020 Metropolitan Transportation Authority. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks, services marks and trade names referenced in this material are the property of their respective owners. OMNY is a service provided by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

Also, as one of the other posters has mentioned, there's nothing about this which is specific to Apple Pay as opposed to any other payment device

Sep 18, 2021 12:13 PM in response to SheveNIKIta

На сегодняшний день, когда заметил кражу средств с карты, пока только заблокировал банковскую карту. Привязал другую карту к Apple Pay и оставил на карте ноль рублей, чтобы получать уведомления о неуспешной попытке списания, чтобы не списывали самовольно. Ещё раз убедился, что "Express Transit Card" выключен, сделал скрины на всякий случай. Направил в OMNY жалобу, с просьбой вернуть украденные средства. Ответа от них пока не поступало, скорее всего придется дополнительно обращаться по контактам из письма (скрин приложил). За последние 6-7 часов пока никаких списаний с новой карты не было, продолжаю отслеживать.

Да, и в истории списаний я нашел ещё два платежа по $2.75, что осуществлялись в ночь с пятницы на субботу. В итоге, у меня оказалось 4 платежа.

А у вас как обстоят дела?

Sep 19, 2021 3:50 AM in response to SheveNIKIta

Я заблокировала карту, жду перевыпуск, оповещения приходят все равно на сбер онлай, но уже о отказе , деньги Сбербанк не возвращает , у Apple тоже бесполезно, привязывать карту стремно! У меня только тут была привязка и яндекс такси !

Sep 15, 2021 3:13 PM in response to Nigoz87

It’s 100% MTAs fault. They even admitted it on the phone. Maybe it’s some technical glitch. But I’ll tell you this, until I went And literally blocked this merchant on my credit card, they kept charging me. Disputing doesn’t solve it. You have to block them. What a disappointment... I was so excited not having to use my metro card, but got scammed!!

Sep 18, 2021 12:42 PM in response to VladimirErdman

За 4 дня было совершено 9 платежей по 2,75$. Сегодня когда проверял историю платежей увидел это, пока только карту заблокировал. Завтра пойду в банк разбираться и сейчас написал письмо о возврате средств.

Sep 19, 2021 3:42 AM in response to SheveNIKIta

Снимали 2 дня , по 2.75$ , тоже сбербанк , расплатилась картой с часов! Очень все странно, заблокировала карту, теперь приходят оповещения об отказе 11$, грешу на Apple !!! Утекли данные через часы! Привязка была только в яндекс такси! Живу в России, на заграничные сайты не залезала!

MTA*NYCT PAYGO RECOVER charge on credit card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.