Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 pro touch screen irresponsive when plugged and on flat surface

My iPhone 13 pro's touch screen became irresponsive (does not scroll continuously and doesn’t always click when tapping stuff) when plugged in the charger (20W) and laid down on a flat surface. As soon as i remove it from the charger or hold it up with my hand, the touch screen responsiveness gets back to normal. Any idea why this is happening ?

i just bought my iPhone a day ago, do you think I should return it back while I can?

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 12:37 PM

I have the same issue. My iPhone 13 is only 8 days only but started experiencing this a few days ago. Works fine when not charging. Soon as I charge my phone and start scrolling or whatever I need to do, it responds either super slow or no response at all :( is this normal?

41 replies

Jan 19, 2022 9:44 AM in response to farhatdaniel03

I think the problem is hardware, some bad isolation makes that a high power flow while charging creates an electroestatic energy that gives wrong display inputs (that energy may affect capacitance) and if you don’t take the same ground as the iphone (so touching the metal case) it presents this wrong inputs. It happens to me with a rubber case algo, because as I said, I’m not making ground with the phone. It’s also the same behaviour I get in my 2017 ipad pro, also affects the apple pencil input, just the same.

They can either tune the touch input levels while charging differently or limit the power while charging with software. If it’s bad isolation maybe we can only hope for a replacement. (Sorry about my english).

Jan 22, 2022 8:34 AM in response to tjan123

The issue was solved. However not through the Apple store. I just bought another 20W adapter + cable and it magically worked. I then tested my previous adapter + cable and the screen indeed became irresponsive after a while (as it usually did) confirming that the solution was not because of a software update.

interestingly, i bought both adapters from an Apple store and checked both serial numbers to make sure both are legit. It seems that there is a defective batch of 20W adapters that Apple manufactured. Not sure why no one publicly mentioned that.

i should note that when I first realized the problem, I did contact Apple support and had a lengthy 1+ hour call describing my issue, which they deemed to be a serious defect. To my surprise they said they cant do anything about it except for replacing my phone with a new one. They thanked me and told me that all my input will be shared with the team. It kinda annoyed me because I was almost sure that the problem will not be resolved by simply replacing the phone. My gf bought an iPhone 13 pro max and had the exact same problem (what are the odds of having 2 defective phones!). So to cut it short, I tried with a different adapter and bam it worked for both of us.

Verdict: replace your adapter and USB-C cable.

Dec 1, 2021 9:57 PM in response to farhatdaniel03

I have the same issue ☹️

In my case it happens when charging my iPhone 13 Pro with the cable and the 20W charger, but only when the battery level is very low (less than 10-20%). Nothing to do with flat surfaces. If the charging starts when the battery has something like 40% (or more) charge, then the screen responsiveness is fine.

I’m wondering… is this a software issue or a hardware fault? It seems to me that the problem occurs when the device charges at the highest speed. Which happens from 0 to 50% for the battery, and after this point the speed (and Wattage) of charging gradually drops.

Dec 6, 2021 4:59 AM in response to farhatdaniel03

By the way, I bought a new 20W power adapter and the problem was resolved. I did a side-by-side comparison between the old adapter and the new one, and it was clear that the old adapter was causing the touch-screen issue.

Both adapters had a valid serial number, so I could not understand why one was randomly better than the other. Try buying a new adapter I guess.

Dec 14, 2021 4:21 PM in response to farhatdaniel03

Same issue. iPhone 13 Pro, new today. Fine when not plugged in but screen laggy and unresponsive when plugged in and charging, doesn’t matter if on flat surface or in my hand.

I’m charging with my XS cable at the moment as haven’t got a USB-C charger plug yet. My old XS is plugged into it and working fine while charging.

it really annoying as I quite often use my phone while it’s on charge.

Dec 17, 2021 5:31 PM in response to farhatdaniel03

Same exact issue. Brand new iPhone 13 Pro 512GB, iOS 15.2. Finished transferring from old phone over the day, then the next morning ran into these exact issues, but wasn't until I read this thread that I made the connection to charging. I took a video to highlight how unresponsive the screen is while its suffering from this but can't share it here unfortunately.

Dec 26, 2021 8:47 PM in response to farhatdaniel03

I was having the same issue with my iPhone 13 I bought in Dec 4. Only when charging the touch screen would simply act up, but ever since i did the iOS 15.2 Update is working find while charging using the 20W adapter. I don’t know what fix it, the update or God knows what. I went thru the update fixes list but nothing regarding the issue while charging. If anyone one knows what fix it let me know please and thank you. PS I’m still taking it to the store to see if actually fixed or just an intermittently issue

Dec 27, 2021 2:23 AM in response to Alexier_141

Mine’s doing the same. iPhone 13 Pro, have had it two weeks. The screen becomes totally unresponsive when charging. Contacted Apple Support and said I was using my previous iPhone XS cable, they said that didn’t make any difference to using the new cable. Advised to do a force restart, which fixed it for a day or two but it’s doing the same again now

iPhone 13 pro touch screen irresponsive when plugged and on flat surface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.