Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios15 print problem

Hi - ios 15 - I can no longer print anything from iphone or ipad with ios 15. When I click on Print it says ‘Gathering printer information’. Wife’s iphone, same wifi network, same printer, ios 14.8, has no problem. Also the mini ipad, NOT updated to ios15, prints fine. I have reset network on iphone/ipad, turned on/off router, hard reset iphone / ipad. Everything was working fine on all devices until I updated to ios 15. I have set everything to run on the same 2G network to be sure. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 2:06 PM

Hi Stephen,

It appears that you're no longer able to print from only your iPad after updating to iPadOS 15. You've taken some great steps already with your iPad. We understand the printer works fine with other devices, but want to ensure that there are no updates for the printer itself to work properly with iPadOS (or iOS) 15. Let us know if there is an available update, which can help determine possible next steps.

Take care!

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2021 2:06 PM in response to Stephen Tendayi

Hi Stephen,

It appears that you're no longer able to print from only your iPad after updating to iPadOS 15. You've taken some great steps already with your iPad. We understand the printer works fine with other devices, but want to ensure that there are no updates for the printer itself to work properly with iPadOS (or iOS) 15. Let us know if there is an available update, which can help determine possible next steps.

Take care!

Oct 5, 2021 6:45 AM in response to Stephen Tendayi

There appear to be various issues with AirPrint in iPadOS15 - that were not apparent with iPadOS14.x.

I have occasionally observed the issue that you describe, but have been unable to positively identify the underlying cause beyond establishing a link with iPadOS15.

This latest iteration of iPadOS extends iPad’s AirPrint options, the described/observed behaviour occurs while the iPad is fetching print-option data from the printer. When the “fetch” is complete, a list of supported print options, from which to select, are presented.

Thus far, cancelling the print job from the iPad - and then again starting the print from the required App - has cleared the immediate problem.

A further identified bug is printing documents from the native Files App; the Paper size always defaults to 3x5 inches:

Unless the correct/required Paper Size is selected prior to tapping Print, the printed page will have a very small rendering of the document.

At present, I can offer no advice on how to solve the issue that you describe - other than to suggest a restart of your devices.

You’ll need to restart your network devices in the correct sequence. Assuming that you WiFi Router provides DNS services for your network, restart devices in this order - allowing time for devices to fully boot/restart prior to restarting other devices:

• WiFi Router
  • Upstream wired Network Switch(es)
  • WiFi Access Points / Network Extenders
  • Other fixed infrastructure devices - such as Printers
  • Client devices

Restarting your iPad, after restarting other devices in the correct order, is most simply achieved by a forced-restart of the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Until such time as the problem is resolved, you would be well advised to submit a bug report to Apple - using their Product Feedback portal:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

When submitting your report, please ensure that you include your iPad model and installed version of iPadOS is the main body of your report. Please describe the issue as thoroughly as you can. You may also wish to include a link to this page where the issue has been discussed in detail:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253215158

Dec 24, 2021 11:15 PM in response to Rested Traveler

Both my iPad and iPhone have upgraded to iOS 15.2 and no longer print to my Epson WF-3520. My Mac works fine with Adobe and Word.

i have tried EVERYTHING, including the waiting for “gathering printer information” to disappear only to be told that “printer is offline”

My wife’s old iPhone is on iOS 12.5 and is working perfectly, so annoying!!

Come on Apple, fix this bug PLEASE.

Oct 5, 2021 7:15 AM in response to Stephen Tendayi

Many thanks for your reply. I have taken all steps in the order you recommend, and also contacted the ISP in case they have issues with Bonjour and multi-task DNS. I have also soft-rest the ipad but problem remains. Had AppleCare, so am now working with Apple support. Wife has ipad and iphone on ios14 and all working fine. Also I am able to print via wifi using the HP print app on the ipad so it does seem to be an airprint problem.

Nov 4, 2021 5:29 AM in response to Rested Traveler

I have an answer, sort of. When I was struggling I had checked the printer and it was connected to the correct wifi. I was away from home for a few days and turned some items off, including the printer. When I came back and turned it back on, both the ipad and iphone connected perfectly. A few days later I upgraded the Macbook Air, and it would not airprint. Out of curiosity I turned the printer off, even though it said it was connected to the correct wifi, waited the inevitable 10 secs, turned it back on, and the Macbook was happy and airprinted. As I said, it as answer, sort of. It solved it for me, and everything is working, but I am not sure why. This was an HP OfficeJet Pro.

Jan 2, 2022 5:00 AM in response to Salman0312

Salman0312 wrote:

I have Ios 15.3 , same problem .

In using a beta (non-production) version of iOS/iPadOS, you should anticipate seeing issues and difficulties.

The Terms of Use that govern participation within these Support Communities precludes discussion of beta software. Guidance here is limited to restoring the current production version of iPadOS.

If you are currently enrolled in a beta programme and wish to return to using the current production version, this support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

Oct 23, 2021 11:28 AM in response to Stephen Tendayi

I'm having exactly the same problem with my new HP printer, that I'm on latest iOS 15 having issue with both iPad and iPhone, but wife on iOS 14 has no problem printing via AirPrint. The other thing to note is that MacOS 11.6 is also not having any issue with AirPrint, works perfectly fine.

Could it be related to the latest and greatest update mentioned here?

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/28/ios-15-tidbits-airprint-find-my-more/#h-airprint

Apple has given the printing interface a dramatic overhaul with iOS 15 and iPadOS

The other thing to add is that, this is not a problem with my older Brother printer. Would it be possible that the breaking change is only affecting those new printers implementing the new interface that Apple has defined.

Both Apple and HP would need to coordinate better here. It could be the way Apple iOS is interacting with these new interfaces is different from spec. It could also be the way HP responding to the new interface failing for proper handshake.

Nov 3, 2021 7:25 AM in response to Stephen Tendayi

I am having the same problem ever since upgrading both my iPhone Pro and my iPad Pro to iOS 15. Both of those devices now say "Gathering printer information..." for quite a long time (several minutes) when I use Air Print.

After that "Gathering printer information..." message goes away, I'm able to print via Air Print.

If I try to print before the "Gathering printer information..." message goes away, nothing prints and (even worse) the message never goes away).

For the apps that offer the option to print via HP Smart instead of Air Print, I have no issues at all - it just prints.

It's only Air Print that is struggling for me.

Nov 25, 2021 9:14 AM in response to JoAnne413

Seriously, y’all…if you just wait a few minutes for it to gather printer information, AirPrint will eventually let you print. It just takes a few minutes. Go get a cup of coffee or take a shower or take your dog for a walk and when you get back, press print. LOL

Why it sits in “gathering printer information” for so long is beyond me and is a tad ridiculous, I agree. It’s a defect that should be fixed. It’s almost as though it has to time out on something before it’s ready for you to print. If I were Apple developers, I’d look into the timeouts.

Jan 1, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Stephen Tendayi

My wife's new Iphone 13 mini running IOS 15.1.1 does the 'gathering printer information' thing then nothing happens and the printer subsequently appears to go offline. My own Iphone Se running on 14.8.1 produces no such problem and I'm not going to update the IOS as a result

I then have to reconfigure my (rather old) Brother wireless printer HL-2340D which previously has worked without any problems. Very frustrating!

ios15 print problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.