Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Twitter app on iMac crashing on opening

My Twitter app on my iMac running BigSur 11.6 suddenly crashed after sending a tweet. I've tried restarting the Mac, deleting and reinstalling the app but it still starts to open then quits leaving the following crash report added as additional text. Anyone any idea what's going on here. Worked fine until this morning. Lots of stuff around about the web based page and iOSdevices but can't see anything about the actual desktop app:

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2021 5:01 AM

Ensure you have the most up-to-date version of Twitter. If the crashes continue after you have verified the Twitter app is up-to-date please do the following:

1. Please restart in Safe Mode ( Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore) and then restart normally and retest the Twitter app. If that fails go to step 2.
  2. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2021 5:01 AM in response to postmoboy

Ensure you have the most up-to-date version of Twitter. If the crashes continue after you have verified the Twitter app is up-to-date please do the following:

1. Please restart in Safe Mode ( Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore) and then restart normally and retest the Twitter app. If that fails go to step 2.
  2. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Oct 18, 2021 9:30 AM in response to postmoboy

https://twitter.com/fjoachim/status/1448313589119418371?s=20

Fix seems to be deleting ~/Library/Containers/maccatalyst.com.atebits.Tweetie2/Data/Documents/com.twitter.TFSFeatureSwitches.config

You can open Terminal and enter:

rm -rf ~/Library/Containers/maccatalyst.com.atebits.Tweetie2/Data/Documents/com.twitter.TFSFeatureSwitches.config

... if you are very precise in your typing, or use Option + Go menu in Finder to access the ~/Library/ folder, where ~ represents your home folder, e.g. /Users/jappleseed/

Oct 14, 2021 7:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi and thanks so much for replying. I've tried option 1. but no change.

I'm attaching the EtreCheck report. I tried turning off the Sophos Home antivirus software but no change (tbh not sure it does anything more than the native apple/safari security but as it doesn't seem to affect performance have left in place).

The report notes the twitter crashes.

Really odd as I had used the app moments before the first crash and not aware of doing anything else - ie opening or closing apps etc

Oct 14, 2021 8:17 AM in response to postmoboy

You have some major issues. First is Apple's security has been diasabled, this is critical and needs to be addressed. You will need to contact AppleCare for assistance on that. Next there is no backup of this computer. At the VERY least Time Machine should be running. Operating ANY computer without a full backup is shortsighted and a guarantee you will lose data. Please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support and purchase yourself a high quality EHD such as a OWC Mercury Elite Pro!

Finally please read and follow the critical information below!

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy.

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for Sophos and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac  and then restart normally.

Oct 15, 2021 4:50 AM in response to rkaufmann87

OK, good call. Here we go. Still a few small issues. However since I did the check yesterday which showed no major issues, a fresh report this morning is showing a kernel panic this morning at around 8:35 am - I think the machine was in sleep mode at that point, so not sure if this is really as serious as EtreCheck thinks. My biggest problem is that since Big Sur and recent Adobe app updates I seem to get some kind of graphic memory 'leak' where if I have too many Adobe apps open at the same time I get screen disturbance with shards of colour across pages in InDesign and weird jumping of windows with black shadow around them. This seems to get progressively worse until I restart. I'm waiting for the new large format iMac (30" possibly I hear) with the M1 (M2?) chip to appear next year so I can ramp up the video memory which I suspect is part of the problem. So praying there really is not an imminent hardware failure as EtreCheck suggests as I don't want to have to buy a new nearing end of life current iMac 27" machine!

Oct 14, 2021 1:58 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks again for the reply.

I was alarmed when I saw these warnings! I certainly do have a Time Machine back up (along with an offline back up as a last resort) I think what was happening was that I'd not ticked the Allow full disk access in EtreCheck so it couldn't see the backup. Regarding the Apple security warning I noticed that in Sys Prefs Software Update the 'Install System data files and security updates' box wasn't ticked. I think this is just how it was set when I did a fresh OSX install a couple of years ago. Now I've ticked it I'm getting a 'clean' EtreCheck Report with no critical warnings – but thanks for flagging this up.

I've also uninstalled Sophos as per your advice. Actually some of my apps seem to open a bit more snappily since doing so. And finally I used a simple uninstall app to flush out any lingering Twitter app files and now the it's working again so I'm guessing something had got messed up with these support files.

Thanks again for you support. Really appreciated.

Oct 15, 2021 7:27 AM in response to postmoboy

There are some pieces of Sophos that are still there:

Application: /Applications/Sophos/Sophos Network Extension.app - version 10.1.4

[Running] com.sophos.endpoint.scanextension - version 10.1.4 (Sophos)⠨        Application: /Applications/Sophos/Sophos Scan.app - version 10.1.4

My recommendation is to download the free version of FindAnyFile and do a search for anything with the word "Sophos" in it and then move it to the Trash. After you are done, please empty the Trash, restart in Safe Mode and restart again to test it.

Oct 16, 2021 1:35 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks again for your helpful comments. I've used FindAnyFile and it allowed me to remove some of the files found but some extension files seem stubborn and won't deleted to permission issues I think - 8 in all. Even using the Terminal sudo rm –R command I get the message "no such file or directory", even though these files are clearly present. I've re-run the EtreCheck report and still seeing the kernel panic report but no new ones since this isolated incident from yesterday. I'm guessing this will stay as an historical record? I'll re-run an Apple diagnostic report later - the last one recently reported no hardware issues.

Twitter app on iMac crashing on opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.