Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage used up even after deleting apple mail app

when i checked storage in setting it is showing around 15 gb used by apple mail app. So i deleted the app as its way too much for an app. But even after deleting this mail app storage still shows same amount used.

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 8:08 AM

Apple—This is ridiculous. Someone needs to respond to this and acknowledge this is a known issue with a fix in the works! I have tried all of the steps in this forum; removing all accounts, restarting, offloading, deleting— EVERYTHING. This post needs a bump because my mail app is taking up 56 gigs and I can’t rid of them!!

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2022 8:08 AM in response to saroj101

Apple—This is ridiculous. Someone needs to respond to this and acknowledge this is a known issue with a fix in the works! I have tried all of the steps in this forum; removing all accounts, restarting, offloading, deleting— EVERYTHING. This post needs a bump because my mail app is taking up 56 gigs and I can’t rid of them!!

Dec 3, 2022 1:10 AM in response to saroj101

I fixed this by continually deleting the mail app from the main screen and then reinstalling the app from the iPhone storage screen. I noticed that even if I deleted the app it still showed up here, but by deleting from the main screen and reinstalling about 8 times it disappeared… below are screenshots of just how much space was being used. I did all of the troubleshooting steps you did before and nothing worked. I also removed my mail app data from iCloud and backed up my phone once after I changed that setting.

Jul 5, 2022 8:53 AM in response to Adam_Munano

It is not a known issue (did you notice no one has posted in this thread in almost 4 months?), and there is no fix in the works. And this forum is user-to-user; it is not a place to expect an answer from Apple. If you want to communicate with Apple use the Get Support link at the top of this page. Other alternatives - Apple’s formal support can be reached several ways:

• Click on “Get Support” at the top of this page
  • Go to Apple Support

Note that both of the above have options to receive a callback or chat

About the only communications method not used by Apple support is inbound email, probably because the volume would be overwhelming, and separating the wheat from the chaff (or, to us engineers, a poor signal to noise ratio) would be almost impossible. 

Back to your issue:

Deleting the Mail app accomplishes NOTHING! NADA! The Mail app takes pretty much NO storage (about 100 MB); it is the mail in the mail ACCOUNTS that is synced from the mail server that take up storage. And deleting the Mail app does not delete the mail accounts. To delete your mail accounts go to Settings/Mail/Accounts. Tap on each account and tap to remove the account, then restart your phone.

May 19, 2022 9:50 AM in response to Inedhelpp

I have exactly the same issue. Was not able to update to ios 15.5 because of low memory. I found out that the Mail app allocated 13.5 GB. I deleted the accounts -> still 13.48 GB used. Deinstalled the Mail App -> still 13.48 GB used. Restartet -> still 13.48 GB -> Installed again and added the Mail-Accounts again -> 13.5 GB used. So there is some trash I can not get rid off. Any advise? Photo shows situaltion with uninstalled Mail-App on ios 15.4.1

Oct 15, 2022 10:59 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Replying from a different account...

And yes, under normal circumstances, that's how it's supposed to work.

However, it is clear from working on this device (and reading the other responses) that the app/phone can have a glitch where the accumulated data does NOT delete when the account is removed and the app reinstalled.

I can vouch for this because I:

• Deleted the account from the device
  • Offloaded the app
  • Deleted the app
  • Reinstalled the app
  • Restarted

And all the data (15 gigabytes in this case) was still there. However, deleting and reinstalling repeatedly eventually removed the excess data. (Even though the app STILL says its using 15 GB... it actually isn't.)

It's a pretty weird glitch. But it's definitely a glitch and not user error.

Apr 22, 2022 7:39 AM in response to saroj101

Deleting the mail app does not delete downloaded email, unless you also delete the email account(s) in Settings/Mail/Accounts. And deleting the accounts but not deleting the mail app will clear out the downloaded mail. In other words, the mail data and the mail app are independent of each other. It works this way so you can use a 3rd party mail app to access your mail accounts if you don’t like the Apple mail app.

Mar 22, 2022 10:03 AM in response to saroj101

Hello saroj101,

When you deleted the app, did you offload the app? If so, this would delete the app but keep its documents and data. If you would like to remove all its content, when visiting the screen that is showing in the screenshot, tap on Mail and you should see the option "Delete App". This will remove the app along with its content.

You can also take a look at the following resource to manage your device storage: If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope this helps.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

Jun 12, 2022 1:39 PM in response to alfredolucas

Deleting the Mail app accomplishes absolutely nothing. The app itself isn’t that large; it just displays mail that is synced to a mail server. Go to Settings/Mail/Accounts. How many accounts do you see? Each of them occupies space. Tap on each one, then tap to remove it. Go to Settings/Contacts/Accounts. What accounts do you see? Those sync to a mail server also. As do those in Settings/Calendars/Accounts.

If you delete all accounts you won’t have contacts or calendars on your phone, either. Is that what you want?

After deleting all accounts you need to restart your phone to recover the space used by the mail accounts. Have you done that? And if that doesn’t clear it you need to back up the phone, then restore the backup you have just made.

Jul 5, 2022 10:37 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

You need to chill out and be less hostile in these forums. We all busy people and just want answers. Now, this is clearly an issue as there are several threads and posts on this subject matter. Apple should at least monitor these forums (which they do) and look for issues which affect users that can be added to the que of things to fix.

Additionally, I was just saying I had tried all of the solutions posted in this forum. I didn’t JUST delete the app my friend. You definitely don’t need to come at me—I’m mad at Apple not you and for more reasons than just this itself.

I would like to thank you for making suggestions on how to get support, however, I really don’t have enough time in my day to sit and wait for Apple support to run their diagnostics. While they are thorough and usually pretty good, you can’t deny it’s along process.

Jul 5, 2022 9:46 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

It is not true that there has been no response in almost 4 months. The last comment was less than a month ago (see Storage used up even after deleting apple… - Apple Community).

I also want to note that it has nothing to do with data that is under the mail account. All mailboxes are empty! Yet I see in settings under Documents and Data there is still an inexplicably large amount of data that cannot be removed in any way.

Sep 5, 2022 9:13 AM in response to saroj101

I have this problem too! I'm on iOS 15.6.1, and the Mail App constantly shows that it's using 9.5GB worth of space.

I've tried:

• Offloading Mail app AND deleting Mail app -> in my case Delete App doesn't even work, whenever I click Delete App, it just shows loading for a bit and it goes back to the previous screen (storage), the mail app disappears for a bit and came back a second later.
  • Toggling off Mail option on each Account. No dice. Still shows 9.5GB.
  • Removing accounts in Settings > Mail > Accounts > Remove Account. Nope, still shows 9.5GB.
  • Rebooted my phone after removing the accounts. Nope, still shows 9.5GB.
  • Syncing with iTunes. Nope, still shows 9.5GB.

This is frustrating and I ultimately decided to factory reset my phone because I can't find any definitive fix or even workaround that works for this problem. Honestly I won't even so much as touch the Mail app again after this. Deleting data you don't use anymore shouldn't be this hard, and Apple WAS known for its intuitive design. This is not it.

Aug 7, 2022 12:57 PM in response to saroj101

I’m also having a problem with my email storage which has never been a problem before with my other iPhones I had it was always my photos and now I’ve tried offloading mail app but that doesn’t work. I’ve tried deleting the app and it doesn’t work and I even restarted my phone and it doesn’t work. And deleting the mail of any kind off the app doesn’t help either and I don’t know what else to but it’s really getting annoying and I really need help.

Oct 12, 2022 11:32 AM in response to saroj101

This works for me ,

i deleted the accounts in mail including ICloud (sign out). And after I did Reset All Settings. iPhone got restarted, I download again Mail app to check Specific storage and occupied storage has been released.

P.S. : I am not sure that Reset All Setting is necessary or not, or may be just signing out From iCloud mail ) helped.

Anyway my problem has been solved.

Storage used up even after deleting apple mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.