You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod will not connect to my [Windows 10 (64-bit)] computer.

Again: My iPod will not connect to my [Windows 10 (64-bit)] computer.

Up until now, I've been able to connect my iPod to iTunes for Windows without trouble (although recent attempts have been "glitchy"). No alterations in hardware or software were made prior to this incident.

These attempted fixes have failed:

• (Repeated) iPod Reboots,
  • Switched USB Connections,
  • Restoring iPod to factory settings (wasn't allowed because iPod files are supposedly being used by another application?!?)

I don't know what to do. Hopefully somebody out there does. Thanks. Appended is a diagnostic file generated about this incident:

Microsoft Windows 10 x64 (Build 19043)

System manufacturer System Product Name

iTunes 12.12.3.5

Store Package 12123.5.56009.0

FairPlay 2.20.6

iPod Updater Library 12.0

VoiceOver Kit 1.4.3f3 (222093/222742)

Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.67.0.0

Bonjour 3.1.0.2 (333.18)

Gracenote SDK 3.06.1.3084

Gracenote MusicID 3.06.1.3084

Gracenote Submit 3.06.1.3084

Gracenote DSP 3.06.1.3084

iTunes Serial Number 000001BC64EE725C

Current user is not an administrator.

The current local date and time is 2022-05-03 07:10:19.

iTunes is not running in safe mode.

WebKit accelerated compositing is disabled.

HDCP is not supported.

Core Media is supported.

Display scaling 100.00

**** Runtime Libraries ****

c:\windows\system32\ucrtbase.dll: 10.0.19041.789

c:\program files\windowsapps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00.uwpdesktop_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcp140.dll: 14.30.30704.0

c:\program files\windowsapps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00.uwpdesktop_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vcruntime140_1.dll: 14.30.30704.0

c:\program files\windowsapps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00.uwpdesktop_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vcruntime140.dll: 14.30.30704.0

c:\windows\system32\msvcp110_win.dll: 10.0.19041.546

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

Bonjour service 3.1.0.2 (333.18) is currently running.

**** Device Connectivity Tests ****

iPodService 12.7.3.55 (x64) is currently running.

AppleMobileDeviceProcess 521.0.0.23 is currently running.

No Universal Serial Bus Controller found.

No FireWire (IEEE 1394) Host Controller found.

Most Recent Devices Not Currently Connected:

iPod classic running firmware version 1.1.2

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 3, 2022 8:07 AM

Similar questions

18 replies

May 3, 2022 9:02 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2 wrote: "Use the Update Driver Software option under Universal Serial Bus Devices > Apple iPod and proceed with the other steps as suggested."

I've done this.

Temporary Benefit: For a time, there WAS a >>Apple Mobile Device<< listed under **Universal Serial Bus Controllers** when I (supposedly) updated the Driver Software for the Universal Serial Bus Devices.

Problems:

Diagnostic: I've checked my Device Manager. NOW the >>Apple Mobile Device<< category under **Universal Serial Bus Controllers** has DISAPPEARED!

Functional: AT NO TIME since this problem arose have I been able to connect my iPod to ITunes in a way that allows data to be transferred between them.

Additional Information (hopefully helpful, perhaps not):

• Whenever I connect my iPod to my PC, the File Manager indicates -- FOR A TIME -- that a connection has been made to an external device (NOT identified as an iPod). However, it DOES NOT show that external device as having ANY data (i.e., it DOES NOT access the disk where my data is stored). Then -- after about a minute (or so) -- the icon for that device DISAPPEARS from the list of external devices in the File Manager.
  • The iTunes diagnostic indicates that NO connection has been made between my iPod and iTunes. It also gives a warning that the data on my iPod has been "corrupted" and that I should restore my iPod to its factory settings (which, if successful, would have wiped out the data on my iPod. BTW, I tried doing THAT as well -- but it didn't work either.)
  • So is the data on my iPod's hard disk REALLY corrupted? FWIW, I hooked the iPod up to my external speakers and the music played normally. So that doesn't seem (?) like it's the problem.
  • I've even tried shutting off my security/firewall and THEN attempted a connection between iPod and PC/iTunes. That didn't work either.
  • And, yes, ALL the software on my iPod, iTunes and Windows 10 PC is up-to-date.

Conclusion:

• Until early this morning, there was NO problem connecting my iPod to my PC through iTunes. I could transfer music between the two devices without a problem, and my File Manager recognized the device as a data-laden iPod.
  • As of this morning, my iPod can temporarily "connect" with my PC through iTunes, but it CANNOT access the data on the iPod (making this temporary connection functionally useless) and the File Manger recognizes the iPod as only an external device, and -- then -- as nothing at all (per my explanation above)!
  • It SEEMS that updating the iPod's drivers would be a likely solution. But -- as I said at the beginning -- I tried that, following the instructions provided in the article you linked to, and elsewhere. It didn't work. I don't know what to do next.

I hope all this is helpful to you -- or anyone else who might be able to help.

Thanks.

May 4, 2022 7:14 AM in response to turingtest2

tt2,

HDD Stats

Retracts: 220

Reallocs: 7

Pending Sectors: 1

According to the article you cited, these numbers are well below those indicating HD failure.

FWIW, I played the iPod for about an hour yesterday evening. Worked fine.

Connecting to iTunes/Windows 10 while iPod is in Disk Mode

I was able to get the iPod into Disk Mode.

After REPEATED attempts, I did connect the iPod to Windows 10. Then things get weird.

Good News: The File Manager properly I.D.-ed the iPod, and properly recognized the total data on the device and free space remaining.

Bad News: When accessing the iPod's Properties in Windows...

• In the General tab, the iPod's capacity/used space/free space are all listed as 0 bytes (contradicting the correctly displayed info in the File Manager!)
  • In the Tools tab, clicking the Check button to scan the iPod HDD for bad sectors generates the following error message: "The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk".

Also, in the process of getting into Disk Mode and trying to connect to Windows, I inadvertently put the iPod into Recovery Mode. The text window informs me that I must restore this iPod before it can be used in iTunes.

However, when I click on the Restore iPod [to factory settings] button, I'm informed that I will lose ALL the data on the device if I proceed. While I do have my data backed up on iTunes, I would prefer NOT to wipe the iPod!

Question: Can I get the iPod recognized by iTunes WITHOUT losing its data?

Current Status: Clicking the Select button puts the iPod into Boot Mode followed by a graphic advising me to "Use iTunes to Restore" (in various languages). Then the screen goes dark (My data is still on disk, as it spontaneously started playing musical titles in descending order starting with the letter "A".).

As of now, I cannot get out of Boot Mode.

So...What now?

And Finally - The most recent iPod diagnostic data (FWIW):

Microsoft Windows 10 x64 (Build 19043)

System manufacturer System Product Name

iTunes 12.12.3.5

Store Package 12123.5.56009.0

FairPlay 2.20.6

iPod Updater Library 12.0

VoiceOver Kit 1.4.3f3 (222093/222742)

Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.67.0.0

Bonjour 3.1.0.2 (333.18)

Gracenote SDK 3.06.1.3084

Gracenote MusicID 3.06.1.3084

Gracenote Submit 3.06.1.3084

Gracenote DSP 3.06.1.3084

iTunes Serial Number 0000024752C8C49C

Current user is not an administrator.

The current local date and time is 2022-05-04 07:02:42.

iTunes is not running in safe mode.

WebKit accelerated compositing is disabled.

HDCP is not supported.

Core Media is supported.

Display scaling 100.00

**** Runtime Libraries ****

c:\windows\system32\ucrtbase.dll: 10.0.19041.789

c:\program files\windowsapps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00.uwpdesktop_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcp140.dll: 14.30.30704.0

c:\program files\windowsapps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00.uwpdesktop_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vcruntime140_1.dll: 14.30.30704.0

c:\program files\windowsapps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00.uwpdesktop_14.0.30704.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vcruntime140.dll: 14.30.30704.0

c:\windows\system32\msvcp110_win.dll: 10.0.19041.546

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

Bonjour service 3.1.0.2 (333.18) is currently running.

**** Device Connectivity Tests ****

iPodService 12.7.3.55 (x64) is currently running.

AppleMobileDeviceProcess 521.0.0.23 is currently running.

No Universal Serial Bus Controller found.

No FireWire (IEEE 1394) Host Controller found.

Most Recent Devices Not Currently Connected:

iPod classic running firmware version 1.1.2

Serial Number: Q290300DYMX

May 5, 2022 3:51 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2,

In my May 3rd @ 9:02 PM posting here, I wrote:

• I've even tried shutting off my security/firewall and THEN attempted a connection between iPod and PC/iTunes. That didn't work either.

IOW, I've tried what you suggested. It didn't work either.

Now what?

FWIW, the only possible/feasible action I've identified is to format the iPod HD in Windows. That would entail wiping our EVERYTHING on it -- Data + Factory Settings.

I'd rather NOT do that. I DON'T want to do it until I know the consequences of doing it.

Please advise.

May 3, 2022 8:38 AM in response to Owen_1001

Owen_1001,

Seen that article. Tried the fixes. It didn't help.

One thing that might help: How do I resolve the >>iPod files which are (supposedly) being used by another application << issue.

This would at least allow me to restore my iPod to factory settings (and would also wipe out my data therein, which, although it's backed-up on iTunes, is still a "solution" I'd rather not do).

Thanks for trying.

May 3, 2022 5:50 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2,

Thank you for your assistance.

I have looked at the article you linked to. Here is were My System _diverges_ from the situation the article describes...

At checklist Item #3, there is NO category >>Apple Mobile Device<< listed under **Universal Serial Bus Controllers** in My Device Manager.

However, there IS a category **Universal Serial Bus Devices** where >>Apple Ipod<< is listed. Right-Clicking on it will bring up a list that includes a selection >>Update Driver Software<<.

Since there is a discrepancy between the article's checklist and My System, I do not want to do anything else without further guidance.

Please advise further.

Thanks.

May 5, 2022 6:06 PM in response to PerplexedandVexed

When things work as they should restoring a device to factory settings and reloading are standard troubleshooting steps, but I understand why you're not happy to trust that the process would be successful right now. I don't know what else to suggest however. I can try hooking up one of my classics to the same build of iTunes on Windows 10 tomorrow and see if things work as expected.

tt2

May 5, 2022 7:30 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2,

You may do that if you are curious about this matter. But, if it all works out, I've decided to try to resolve it through other means.

I've contacted a local vendor who advertised that he can install a new, more capacious Flash Drive into the iPod. Presumably, his work would entail a data transfer. This seems like the best way to go.

Thank you for your attention to my problem.

V&P

My iPod will not connect to my [Windows 10 (64-bit)] computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.