Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Monterey 12.4 Broke USB-C Charging

After upgrading to 12.4, my 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro w/M1 Pro CPU now doesn't charge from any USB-C ports. My usual USB-C charger stopped working and the MBP doesn't make a beep or indicate any reaction to the charger. I've tried another charger and cable that I know work. It will charge from the 140w supplied charger but not from USB-C?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 20, 2022 5:47 AM

Similar questions

57 replies

May 24, 2022 8:30 AM in response to LyleFromVegas

I think I found the solution! At least this method has worked for me and now my MBP is having normally like it did before the update. I found the solution from this website: https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-fix-bad-macos-monterey-battery-life/

Specifically, this method:

"Reset PRAM and NVRAM

You will need to set up speaker, screen resolution and some other settings after you do this, but there’s a chance it alleviates your issues. Here’s how to do this:

• Shut down your Mac.
  • Turn on your MacBook.
  • Press and hold the Command, Option, P, R keys at the same time right after the startup sound.
  • Hold until the computer reboots and you hear the startup sound again.

If you have the 2016 MacBook Pro or newer you need to hold these keys as soon as you turn your MacBook Pro on and hold them for 20 seconds."

May 20, 2022 7:52 AM in response to lobsterghost1

That was the first thing I tried. Now I'm on my 3rd set of USB-C PD charger and cable to now find that it is charging? I've got to grab my first 2 sets of chargers and cables to retry but at this point my 65w USB-C PD charger is outputting 49.2 watts to the MBP. Possibly I was too quick to say the sky is falling but I have been using the original USB-C charger since I got the MBP back in November and after swapping it for a new 100w USB-C cable and charger it didn't work either. Stuff happens I guess.

May 22, 2022 9:01 AM in response to Steph Y

On my part, I first noticed that my usual USB-C PD charger and cable didn't work. Then I took the charger and cable out of my laptop bag and it didn't work. I restarted with no joy. I have a battery app that tells the condition of the battery and the charging rate. It confirmed that the MBP wasn't accepting a charge. I then dug out my original charger and used the MagSafe port to charge it. Using the same brand USB-C PD charger at my home office, it suddenly started charging. Now the first USB-C charger now works.

May 24, 2022 10:48 PM in response to LyleFromVegas

Yep, this is actually so brutal. People are complaining about it on other forums as well. My 2021 16" M1 Max was working perfectly fine until it updated to 12.4 this morning. Now the USB port on the right side is completely non-functional. Also the USB ports on the left side don't function if my computer falls asleep and I wake it up. Now, every time my computer wakes up, I need to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in to get my external monitor to work.

Restarting the computer works sometimes, but after a few minutes/1 hour the usb ports start failing again. Really hope Apple addresses these posts and takes it seriously. I rely on all my usb ports for 2 external monitors and charging devices. Now I can't do that

May 30, 2022 12:00 PM in response to hhsuey

Thanks for the suggestion. I filed a report also.

Funny that the dropdown list for operating system versions doesn't have 12.4 yet! LOL

After the initial problem, my MBP seems to be working fine. I haven't experienced any of the other issues noted in this thread. FWIW I've turned off the battery learning option and never charge my MBP to over 80% to maximize battery life and reduce the cycle count. I use a timer to only allow the charger to work for a few minutes to top up the battery to 70-80%. I received my unit on release day and the battery still shows 100% capacity after 8 months of use.

Jun 16, 2022 2:42 PM in response to LyleFromVegas

I have the same issue too. I have MBP 16 Pro Max. Which chip do you guys have? Pro or Max?

For my instance, normally it'll happen after I folded down the screen (without powering down), and re-open the screen. Both sides of USB-C ports will stop functioning. From what I read, there is no manual SMC or PRAM reset on these M1 machines. So I shutdown, power off the laptop completely. Close the screen and wait for at least 1 minute. Re-open the screen and ports are back to normal. But it happens daily so it's very annoying.

Jun 17, 2022 10:36 AM in response to Riway

Good luck figuring it out. I had the USB-C charging issue for one day and then it started working. I haven't experienced it again and have no idea how or if I fixed it.

I always charge with a 65-watt PD USB-C charger on a timer switch to avoid over charging the battery. I typically keep my battery between 70-80% max and my battery app is still showing 100% capacity after about 8 months of use on my 16-Inch 2021 MBP w/M1 Pro cpu.

Jun 17, 2022 10:40 AM in response to LyleFromVegas

LyleFromVegas wrote:

Good luck figuring it out. I had the USB-C charging issue for one day and then it started working. I haven't experienced it again and have no idea how or if I fixed it.

I always charge with a 65-watt PD USB-C charger on a timer switch to avoid over charging the battery. I typically keep my battery between 70-80% max and my battery app is still showing 100% capacity after about 8 months of use on my 16-Inch 2021 MBP w/M1 Pro cpu.

You cannot overcharge a MacBook Pro battery (or any Apple Device for that matter). They have very sophisticated battery management software to ensure this. You can leave a charging cable plugged in 24 hours a day, 7 days a week without fear of every overcharging.

Jun 17, 2022 3:10 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I've specifically turned it off to maximize battery life. All that option does is try to learn when you use the computer and charge it to 100% before that time. All it does is try to minimize overcharging the battery. Only charging a battery to 80% will typically double the life of a lithium-ion battery. By manually controlling charging the battery and limiting the maximum charge level will extend the life of the battery.

Jun 17, 2022 4:33 PM in response to LyleFromVegas

Since I don't use my MacBook Pro on battery, mine never lets my battery go above 80%. It's your computer and you can do as you please, but Apple implemented Optimized Battery Charging for a reason. And there is no such thing as overcharging the battery. You CANNOT overcharge a MacBook Pro battery. Not EVER.

Using Optimized Battery Charging, I'm willing to bet the Battery Health in my MBP will outperform your battery.

Jun 17, 2022 6:40 PM in response to lobsterghost1

"Most Li-ions charge to 4.20V/cell, and every reduction in peak charge voltage of 0.10V/cell is said to double the cycle life. For example, a lithium-ion cell charged to 4.20V/cell typically delivers 300–500 cycles. If charged to only 4.10V/cell, the life can

be prolonged to 600–1,000 cycles; 4.0V/cell should deliver 1,200–2,000 and 3.90V/cell should provide 2,400–4,000 cycles."

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

If you do the research, you will find that only charging a Li-Ion battery to 80% and never letting it drop below 40% will double the life of most batteries.

Are you sure that your battery doesn't go above 80%? I don't have the docs from Apple in front of me but if I remember correctly, the laptop when left on and charging will charge to 80% until it thinks you are going to use it and then it charges the battery to 100%. That's from memory but I'm pretty sure correct. If you notice in the quote above, dropping the maximum cell voltage by 0.1 volts (1/10th of a volt) will double the number of cycles. There are numerous articles on extending the life of a lithium-ion battery by not fully charging it. If I get enough life out of my battery at 80% then why go to 100%?

I forget the name of the program but there is one that will stop charging when the battery hits a certain level. The only problem is that you can't let the computer go to sleep as once it is asleep it's not running and can't check the voltage. So you have to keep it from powering down.

It's one thing on my older laptops that I can change the battery easily but my 2021 16-inch MBP has to be torn apart as the battery is glued in and if I can avoid spending $250 for a battery and not have it gutted, it seems like a reasonable plan to me.

But the bottom line is that you can do whatever you want with your computer. After all it's your money. This is only my opinion.

The Monterey 12.4 Broke USB-C Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.