iPad Lock Screen time font.

Since updating my 8th generation iPad to iOS 16.1 I’m unable to change the time font on my Lock Screen, anyone else having this problem?

iPad, 16

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 5:14 PM

I just updated my iPad to 16.2 and falsely assumed that I would be able to change the clock font similar to the way that I was able to do so with my iPhone. Apparently, we are still stuck with this HIDEOUS huge font. I'm completely dumbfounded that Apple would select a font that so poorly matches everything else about the iPad. I'm pretty sure astronauts can see this font from the International Space Station.

55 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2023 5:14 PM in response to Homerdiy

I just updated my iPad to 16.2 and falsely assumed that I would be able to change the clock font similar to the way that I was able to do so with my iPhone. Apparently, we are still stuck with this HIDEOUS huge font. I'm completely dumbfounded that Apple would select a font that so poorly matches everything else about the iPad. I'm pretty sure astronauts can see this font from the International Space Station.

Oct 29, 2022 4:07 AM in response to bonfil3

bonfil3 wrote:

Boo! Of all the fonts selected as a default... it's the BOLD font? Ugh. What a crappy look, especially on a BIG screen that doesn't need it. Hope it doesn't take as long to get an update for this... But given the few complaints so far, I'm not holding my breath.

Not a happy camper.

Apple do invite submission of constructive comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. If you would like to encourage change, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to express your views to Apple. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

While you are unlikely to receive a personal reply, we understand that all feedback is logged - and forwarded to the appropriate teams within Apple.

Mar 30, 2023 10:55 PM in response to Homerdiy

Yes, that fat bold font is ugly and can't be changed. It still exists in iPadOS 16.4 and the latest updates for watchOS and iOS. Even though it can be changed somewhat on the phone, it's still bold, fat, and ugly.

I blame Jony Ive. If he hadn't left, we'd probably still have an elegant svelte clock font.

Maybe if besides grousing here, if everybody contacted Apple's Product Feedback at Product Feedback - Apple there might be some hope. At least I feel a little better about it. Certainly 548 Me Toos would get some attention. I'm not holding my breath but we should try.

Apr 5, 2023 7:22 AM in response to daram63

I agree on the arrogance, but nothing will be done unless those affected by this lack of consideration let the teams at Apple know. Please visit Product Feedback - Apple and give them your feedback. Hopefully there will be an update just like in the iPhone where we are given an option to make the elegant font previously used, or at the very least something that doesn’t remind me of the Blackberry days.

Dec 14, 2022 11:37 PM in response to Homerdiy

They will get around to it. Be patient. Course they would give you the option if given to iphone. Based on importance and Iphone is more important than iPad so its first in line. Common sense there is no reason for them to not apply same “basic” feature “upgrade” to the IPad. Its just silly to keep asking this question when you know they are working on it.

Mar 16, 2023 9:25 PM in response to rpmct

Agreed. I prefer my old font previously to ANY of the choices on iPhone. Furthermore, the locked screen and Home Screen images I used previously were of the earth at night and day, which ironically line up with the wireless charging spots, was no longer available on Apple site. I had to scour the web to find the, to reload it so my clock font could be changed. Sometimes the changes Apple does does not work for its customers. So much for making it user friendly.

May 23, 2023 1:34 PM in response to Redd_Tiger2010

100% agree with contacting Feedback. How many here did? I did so twice before, and will do it again.

Apple sometimes listens but we have to make ourselves heard first.

No Thin Font, No Peace!

(Ok that might be a little over the top.)

I’m not sure the “thin” option on the iPhone was as thin as the IOS prior to them messing with the Clock font. I want a thinner font for the iPhone and iPad than we have now have as an iPhone option.

Nov 19, 2023 12:50 PM in response to magsemail

Folks,

Lock screen customisations, on iPad, are only available for iPadOS 17.

There are NO lock screen customisations, for iPad, in any version of iPadOS 16, AND, at this late stage/timeframe, never will be.

Anyone with iPads stuck on iPadOS 16 are stuck with whatever default lockscreen look Apple has coded into iPadOS 16.

There are ONLY three models of iPad that are forever stuck on some version of iPadOS 16.

The 2015/2016, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models. The 2016 9.7 inch screen iPad Pro model and the 2017 5th gen regular, 9.7 inch screen iPad.

If you want an iPad that has a cutomisable lock screen, you will need to purchase a new or “newer“ ( refurbished or used, secondhand ) iPad model.

All of these older model iPads below CAN, currently, run the latest releases of iPadOS 17.

2017, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2017, 10.5 inch screen iPad Pro models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

( The above iPad models, probably, are at their last full year of full Apple OS support. )

2018 11 inch or 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models ( 2nd gen Pencil support )

2020 11 inch or 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models ( 2nd gen Pencil support )

2018, 9.7 inch screen iPad 6th gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2019, 10.2 inch screen iPad 7th gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2020, 10.2 inch screen iPad 8th gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2020, 10.2 inch screen iPad 8th gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2021, 10.2 inch screen iPad 9th gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2018, 11 inch or 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models ( 2nd gen Pencil support )

2019, 10.5 inch screen iPad Air 3rd gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2021 10.9 inch screen iPad Air 4th gen models ( 2nd gen Pencil support )

2019, 7.9 inch screen iPad Mini 5th gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2021 8.3 inch screen iPad Mini 6th gen models ( 2nd gen Pencil support )

Get the largest internal data storage model you can afford as NO Apple iOS device has ANY expandable storage.

Sorry to Everyone who is complaining about the lack of this lock screen customisation feature missing in iPadOS 16, but this is never going to happen.

iPad Lock Screen time font.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.