You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow motion choppy/dropping frame rate at 240fps

Dear Apple,

this is an issue many users have experience since Iphone 12. When recording at 240fps with an iphone14 Pro (and the latest firmware), most the times the video is recorded at a much lower frame rate (200fps, 177fps). The only fix is restarting the phone, but the fix only lasts a few more recording, then it's choppy again.

I have never had this issue with IP11 Pro.

There have been plenty of threads about this, no solution

choppy frame rate on Iphone 14 pro slow m… - Apple Community

iPhone 13 pro slow motion missing frame r… - Apple Community

Slow motion video - irregular speed. - Apple Community

iPhone 13 pro 240fps Slow Motion video dr… - Apple Community

Choppy slow motion - Apple Community

Iphone 13 Pro 240fps Slo Mo Jittery and O… - Apple Community

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 6:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 9:48 AM

Come on, Apple, you cannot and WILL NOT stay quiet on this forever. I didn’t pay over a thousand dollars for a phone only for it to not be able to do what my much older, much cheaper, much less advanced original iPhone SE could do with no problem. This is total BS.

Similar questions

22 replies

Feb 1, 2023 1:29 AM in response to YossarianP

I’m pretty disappointed that my stupidly expensive iPhone 14 Pro has this issue after moving from the XR which could film 240fps with no issues at all. Even after a restart the 14 Pro only ever manages 239.98 so definitely seems to be something to do with the hardware on iPhone 12 and above that Apple doesn’t want to/hasn’t been able to resolve.

May 3, 2023 8:51 PM in response to YossarianP

I’m extremely disappointed with this issue as well, as I discovered yesterday filming something that I won’t likely have the opportunity to film again. Neither my original SE or my SE2020 had this issue. They recorded brilliant, smooth, beautiful 240fps slow motion video.

This phone is buggy in many different ways, but this is probably the most frustrating issue I’ve discovered. Not being able to use a key feature of the phone is a major issue when spending $1,600 on a phone!!

Jul 13, 2023 10:02 PM in response to R_Gabriel

I have same problem, went to apple , they couldn’t help, i compared also to other iphones 14pro and max , and all of them have the same problem … my 11 pro max slow motioned so flawlessly . It’s definitely something with hardware. Oh yeah you know what one of Apple employees told me when I complained about it ? He said just wait until new iphone release…

Jul 13, 2023 11:58 PM in response to im18021987

I have experienced hardware failures across few of my Apple products during the past 15 years, but started to notice more users reporting hardware failures in Apple's products over the past five years.

In addition to my iPhone 14 Pro, I recently purchased a pair of AirPods Pro, where one of the AirPods had a clicky speaker unit from the start and had to be sent for repair to Apple. To my disappointment, Apple didn’t fix the issue when they returned me my AirPods.

It would be nice if Apple, at the very least, acknowledges the slomo-problem with the iPhone 14 Pro and communicates it!

I have exclusively bought iPhones since the iPhone 3G, but maybe it's time for me to start looking for better alternatives.

Oct 24, 2023 5:31 PM in response to YossarianP

I upgraded from my iphone XS to a 14 Pro a few months ago and really, the main reason that I upgraded was to replace my XS with a newer better phone to specifically shoot 240fps with inside a water housing. The 14 pro was having constant problems drifitng away from the 240 fps to do pretty much whatever it wanted. They had me redo the entire operating system and a bunch of other things before eventually replacing the phone. The new one's been behaving till yesterday when it too started setting the frame rate at whatever random number that it wants to. I turned the phone off and then back on which seemed to bring it back to 240fps. This is an ongoing issue though. I'm not sure why these newer iphones are having this issue, but it's not good enough Apple. I can absolutely say without any dobt at all, that I would NOT have purchased this phone knowing that there is an issue with the 240fps. Right now, I'm considering getting rid of the 14pro because it's useless to me if this issue can't be fixed.

Oct 24, 2023 7:05 PM in response to YossarianP

Again, the slo mo issue that plagues iphones since the 11 pro - in my case, the last phone that fully worked for me - is actually damaging my job. I am a videomaker, and in my videos most times I get to shoot things that are non repeatable. And it is a gamble whether some will be shot properly or not in slo mo. I will have to replace the iphone with a camera, the opposite of what I had decided years ago, because of this - with a huge impact on my workflow. Extremely disappointed. And I cannot believe Apple does not have the capacity to solve this.

Feb 11, 2024 3:59 PM in response to YossarianP

Very disappointed about this issue! Have the best iPhone ever with the worst slowmo performance. Why? What’s the reasonable reason? Lots of storage (1tb) tried disabling all the possible reasons for slowmo dropping to 170fps…only a restart will temporarily fix the problem. Considering a jumping back to “the other side” after 15 years…

slow motion choppy/dropping frame rate at 240fps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.