Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Yellow Screen of Death iPhone 13 Pro Max

If you're an iPhone 13 Pro Max user who has recently updated to iOS 16.X.X, be aware of the yellow screen of death issue. This is not a user-related problem but a hardware issue caused by Apple. There’s multiple discussion on this issue. The yellow screen of death is when the screen suddenly bricks and turns yellow with horizontal lines across it.

Unfortunately, I've experienced this problem myself on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, which was out of warranty. I had to pay $493.57 to replace my screen after being rejected for a repair cost waiver by the store manager. 

If you encounter this issue, don't hesitate to call Apple's hotline and request a repair cost waiver before heading to the store. Worth giving it a shot so many users here had faced this issue, which can occur even when no damage has been done to the screen. 

I didn't get a refund or compensation from Apple because I had already paid for the repair as I needed my phone back urgently for business use. It is very disappointing to know that we user have to bare for this cost losing faith in Apple now!

To save yourself time and frustration, make sure to call Apple first to get the waiver if you experience this issue.

Hopefully with enough cases in the future, Apple will admit to this defect and give us user that had paid for the repair a compensation. Do leave in the comment if you had the same issue!

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2024 7:43 PM

I’m so furious , I have a 13 pro .

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

102 replies

Sep 1, 2023 8:56 AM in response to ng254

lets get the ball rolling on this, if we can create a case then we all should. 430 people experiencing this is NOT a coincidence! apple knows what they're doing and choosing to ignore it and they are forcing us either to repair it for $500 or get a new phone. so please continue to badger and pest the apple support team until they can actually do something cuz until now all they're useless.

Jul 30, 2023 4:40 PM in response to ng254

Same thing happened yo me this morning got up to take a shower and when I came back my phone glitched with a yellow screen. It flickered for a couple seconds and it came back to normal so I kept using the home and about 10 mins after it started again and ever since it’s been yellow. I hope it’s a software issue and they can resolve. I can’t see anything on my phone due to it.

Oct 4, 2023 8:39 PM in response to ng254

Hi! I also experienced the same issue. Here is the timeline:

27-Sep: I updated my ios from 16 to 17. The update was successful. I was able to use my phone smoothly for around 8 hrs after the update. While I was browsing through my phone, it suddenly started glitching like a few lines then turned light yellow then turned to a solid yellow screen and i can't see anything at all. Tried the resolutions posted like force restart the phone using volume up volume down then long press the power button but no luck. Nada!

Tried calling Apple hotline but no one answered. Last resort was to ask assistance from Apple Chat Support. I was able to talk through a Customer Care Representative, they created a case and schedule an appointment for me to visit the nearest Authorised Apple Service Center.

30-Sep: This was my schedule. Left my device there for checking and further diagnosis. My device is still under warranty btw so there were no consultation charges.

04-Oct: They informed me that my device is ready for pick up. Their resolution was "RESTORATION AND UPDATE OF

LATEST OPERATING SYSTEM. RAN

APPLE DIAGNOSTICS TEST AND

PERFORMED FUNCTIONALITY, NO

ISSUES ENCOUNTERED. DEVICE WAS

OBSERVED FOR FEW DAYS AND DID

NOT EXHIBIT ANY ISSUE. DEVICE IS

GOOD FOR RELEASE"

I was so happy that I got my phone again and I was able to successfully log in to my icloud account.

After like 4 hrs of using my phone (used it from time to time, not 4 hrs straight), tadaaaa! Yellow screen again!

I contacted the Apple Chat support and they offered that I will be getting a call from the Senior Team by 05-Oct.

05-Oct: The Apple Senior Rep called me and we discussed my concern. I requested if screen or unit replacement is possible because there is still a possibility that i will encounter this yellow screen again. What if it is out of warranty already? Clearly this is not the user's fault but Apple itself.

On 06-Oct, I will be visiting again the Service Center and have them check my device AGAIN.

Sigh... this is so inconvenient for apple users! We trusted their brand but what's happening to us these days are so disappointing.

Will reply here once I got updates soon.

Jun 30, 2023 12:48 PM in response to ng254

Same thing happened to me am a 17 year old teen,am poor af,my mom and dad saved up there hard earned money to buy me this phone and just after a year the warranty ended and then this happened it's like apple planned it honestly,I had to burst 320 dollars to pay for a damage that I didnt even do,I am also losing faith in apple my parents even thought that i was the one that broke it and am just making excuses,(btw waited 2 months to get it fixed,cause I dont live in a country with an official apple store)I fell deeper into depression when that happened

Nov 9, 2023 10:56 PM in response to ng254

I had the same problem with my iPhone 13 Pro Max and it was just out of warranty. The iPhone all of the suddenly turned yellowish green with horizontal lines across screen. I was just browsing on the phone normally when the problem occurred. I had never dropped the phone or any damage to it. The sensing and all the phone software were still okay. But no screen display.

This is a hardware manufacturing malfunction! There are many discussions of this defect on Apple Developer and other forums too. 

I feel truly disappointed at Apple Taipei 101 store and received very bad customer experience. The Taipei 101 store refused to do any inspection to find the cause of the issue. They knew there were many customers had the same issue, but just used out-of-warranty as an excuse to turn down customers. Quoted me NTD 10,700 to replace a new screen and tried to sell me Apple Care. This is outrageous!

Jul 12, 2023 6:53 AM in response to ng254

hello Iam also Iphone 13promax user and Iam facing this yellow screen of death issue from 9th July 2023 after updating to ios16.5.1. My phone is diagnosed and it didnt had a single damage as I use phone very carefully . Its seriously heart breaking that we spend huge money for purchasing these phones and the phone doesnt even last long for 2years . Its disgusting as Apple is still not responding and considering as paid service charging Rs33,530 for display replacement . I believe many iphone 13pro/pro max users are affected and request everyone to bring to Apple's notice.

Sep 5, 2023 3:44 PM in response to ng254

Lately my phone also got the display issue( screen turning green and being unresponsive) happening mostly to iPhone 13 series models. I think most of u may already heard about this issue.

Approaching the apple authorised service centre,display replacement is the only solution they provide . If ur device is still under warranty it will be a free of cost repair. But phones which are out of warranty will cost an enormous amount ranging b/w 32 and 35 thousand rupees for the same.

My phone was already out of warranty (4-5) months ,but i still managed to get a free of cost display replacement.

So I'm sharing the process if it may help any

Call apple customer care ASAP.Once u notice the issue.Try troubleshooting steps provided by them.

If not revived ask them to transfer the call to senior team.

Elaborate the issue and answer their questions.

They will register a case regarding the same and case id will be shared to u for the convenience.

Submit the phone in apple authorised service centre for the diagnostic process.

Diagnosing charge - 1850 rs (refund subject to eligibility)

< You need to sign out from iCloud and all ur datas in phone will be lost in this process>

Once you submit the device inform customer care team

Now they will collect the diagnosis report and other infos directly from service centre itself.These will be cross examined by relevant departments.

You will be contacted then to inform exemption availed for ur case.

Jun 7, 2023 6:27 AM in response to ng254

I facing the same issue. I still calling Applecare to reimburse me on the repair cost. a senior advisor from Apple Care revealed that if I had inquired about the repair cost prior to sending in my phone, Apple would have been able to cover it. However, since I had already paid for the repair, there seem to be limited options for resolving the issue. This situation appears unreasonable to me because, as a customer who had never encountered any problems with my phone before, I was unaware of this particular protocol. Furthermore, this incident clearly indicates that Apple has the capability to cover repair expenses, especially considering that the problem originated from an iOS issue.

Sep 24, 2023 4:56 PM in response to ng254

I started having this issue when the iOS 17 update was released. Then the customer service people don't have an answer but to ask you to have your phone checked by a technician even if it obviously isn't a problem on the fault or maybe a problem they've created strategically to start manifesting after the warranty expires. When they were preparing to release the iPhone 15 series along with the iOS 17 update, this problem started. Maybe I'm the only one thinking that this is a way to force people to upgrade. I've been using Apple for decades now but I guess it's no longer as reliable as it used to be. I don't think this issue is happening to other phone brands. Bad birthday present, Apple.

Oct 15, 2023 9:07 PM in response to ng254

Hi, I'm adding myself to the list of people who have experienced the same issue. I'm surprised that Apple hasn't addressed this issue at all, kind of disappointing.

Will try to call the Apple landlines to try ask them to cover the cost because I'm not gonna pay for repairs for issues that I have nothing to do about, especially when it the issue is obviously a manufacturing defect. Thank you for the helpful advice!

Jun 7, 2023 8:31 PM in response to angiellee

This is the advice I got from the senior advisor and also the store manager. They will probably do a diagnosis test and see what causes your phone to crash and advise you further from there.

There is a post in this forum,

Apple 13 pro max White screen of death - Apple Community

You can ask this user. 😊

Share with us your experience if you manage to get it fix without incurring any cost. I think Apple will be able to cover it. Good luck.

Yellow Screen of Death iPhone 13 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.