The power button on my apple tv remote keeps falling out. What can I do to fix it? I just recently purchased it.

there is not much details; when I pick the remote and have it any other way than right side up, the power button falls out.

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 10:34 PM

I bought a new 4K Apple TV several months back. The power button just fell out of the remote and burrowed between the cushions of the sofa. Took me a long time to find the tiny thing. There is _obviously_ a design flaw. The remote has had an easy life, never abused. I don't know what could have broken the button. I don't really want to get a microscope out to examine the hole, but my guess is that a really really tiny plastic tab broke that was holding the button on. Now it just falls out if the remote isn't kept completely horizontal. This is a big pain. It's very surprising that Apple would ship something so flimsy. They need to come up with a fix.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2023 10:34 PM in response to roscoedd214

I bought a new 4K Apple TV several months back. The power button just fell out of the remote and burrowed between the cushions of the sofa. Took me a long time to find the tiny thing. There is _obviously_ a design flaw. The remote has had an easy life, never abused. I don't know what could have broken the button. I don't really want to get a microscope out to examine the hole, but my guess is that a really really tiny plastic tab broke that was holding the button on. Now it just falls out if the remote isn't kept completely horizontal. This is a big pain. It's very surprising that Apple would ship something so flimsy. They need to come up with a fix.

Nov 9, 2023 2:28 PM in response to roscoedd214

It’s great that you can stick the actual button back in and it works but… what if it falls out and you can’t find it? $59.00 to Apple for a new one. This needs a definite redesign. Mine wasn’t very old and has been in a silicone case since it was new. Very disappointing. I just hope my grandchild doesn’t find it and swallow it. Wonder if the other buttons are similar choking hazards.

Jun 12, 2024 8:11 AM in response to roscoedd214

Don't waste your time going for a visit - there is no replacement unless you are within whatever limited warranty period you have or you paid extra for an extended warranty. You will waste time driving to the store, waiting only to be told as others have said a $60 replacement cost for a faulty unit

I wish the 3D printed solution was available as teased by another poster but that will require searching elsewhere

MEanwhile, purchase the Amazon cover should do it for a fraction of the $60

Dec 24, 2023 5:59 PM in response to HaGo21

Great tip on getting the case from Amazon. My power button fell out today and noticed it when I want to watch the end of a football game. Couldn't find the button but Discovered that you can press down on the button hole with a pencil eraser to turn on or off. Found the button after a bit of search and put it back in the remote. Ordered an electric blue case so won't have to have to buy a new remote. Your link went to a version of the case with a magnet $12.99. I got the one without the magnet for $9.99. Again,

thanks for the tipo. https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Color-Compatible-Silicone-Generation/dp/B098T333XV/ref=sr_1_14_sspa?crid=2Q1R6EA4U1S1L&keywords=apple%2Btv%2Bremote%2Bcase&qid=1703460606&s=electronics&sprefix=Appe%2Btv%2Bremote%2Bcase%2Celectronics%2C101&sr=1-14-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

The power button on my apple tv remote keeps falling out. What can I do to fix it? I just recently purchased it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.