Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

This message has not been downloaded from the server.

iphone emails: exchange: This message has not been downloaded from the server.

I am an I.T. admin who also runs the network and email server. This error on the iphone about the messages not being downloaded is bogus.

In the older IOS versions I would get the same error message, however, when you touch and hold the email message, it would preview the entire email because the iphone had in fact actually downloaded the message.

Now in the latest IOS, apple has disabled the preview to hide the fact that the message was actually downloaded.

I did a network packet capture on the mail server using my phone’s IP address while I downloaded email on my phone.

I can confirm 100% that when the iphone did not display a email message, it had already downloaded that message according to the email server logs and also the fact that whenever I would refresh the messages back and forth, switching between messages until the message actually displayed, the iphone never once talked to the mail server before the message was actually displayed.

I was able to reproduce this test over and over again to prove to other iphone users that their iphone never communicated with the mail server again before magically working out how to display the message that has an error message of “This message has not been downloaded from the server.”

This problem is an IOS issue that needs to be solved.

If this problem is not addressed in the next IOS update, the end users are going to see this for what it is.

Don’t simply blame the end user’s non apple / not icloud / email solution / email server / third party email.

It is an strange situation that apple’s own icloud accounts don’t get the same error message.

It is a strange situation that the previous IOS version would allow you to touch and hold the message that could not be downloaded and it would fully display the contents of the message until we let go. It is very strange that the preview feature has now been disabled in the new IOS versions.

Fix the problem and stop trying to make people feel like they should have to use an apple icloud account because their own email solution is inferior to apple’s….

I am interested in sharing my findings with others and with apple.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2024 10:03 AM

I have several emails this week that will not download from the server. It is very frustrating as I need to be able read them as they are work related…any solutions 😟

Similar questions

78 replies

Apr 2, 2024 11:30 AM in response to IceSkyBlue

I was also getting this error message all the time and I know the frustration by clearing the Mail app cache the issue is resolved for me. Before that, I tried many solutions from the webpage Fix This Message has not been Downloaded from the Server which my coworker shared with me. So, either the clearing of the Mail app cache worked, or the other solutions also correlated with it.  

Jan 2, 2024 9:36 PM in response to Springnuts

In my case it's only with Yahoo!... 7 email accounts on my phone and it's only this one with the issue. Even weirder is that we have one iPhone in the house that has no issues but another iPhone and an iPad (all three devices are relatively current hardware [between 1 and 3 years old] and have the latest iOS updates) have the "message has not been downloaded" issue. I can't see what (if anything) is different between the working and non-working devices.

Dec 17, 2023 5:00 PM in response to Sipizen

Since youre in IT guy maybe you can answer me this question (or not) I think my deleted texts are stuck on the apple server because ever since I updated to ios 17.2 my back up storage keeps increasing instead of decreasing. I delete texts manually everday. I was told by apple it takes to 4 days to delete on the server end and sometimes 180 days but Im wondering if its a glitch in ios 17.2 because it only started happening after I updated to 17.2 monday Dec. 11th Does apple really keep deleted things up to 180 days on the server end or is it longer than that? I was also told it might magically fix itself eventually

This message has not been downloaded from the server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.