Extension process Apple ID (4589) exited

After most recent update to Sonoma 14.0, all access to my iCloud account is gone - passwords, etc. are gone and I cannot re-establish the link between my laptop and my iCloud account. And it cannot log out of my iCloud account, that throws an error. I can log in via a web browser, but the OS is not syncing correctly to my iCloud account.

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2023 8:14 AM

This issue is still not resolved 2 months later. I just updated to Sonoma 14.2.1 hoping it might help but quite the opposite. The Apple ID panel has now completely disappeared from Settings but my mac continues to sync with my iCloud account - e.g. I can see new photos take on my iPhone etc. When I select Internet Accounts in setting, my iCloud account is visible but as soon as I click it, I get the "Extension process Apple ID exited" error message. I checked the system logs and noticed that I can consistently generate a crash report - JetsamEvent - every time I try to open iCloud account in settings. So from what little knowledge I have about macs it seems that opening iCloud settings is somehow creating memory pressure that forces the process to quit?

Similar questions

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2023 8:14 AM in response to pstaffor

This issue is still not resolved 2 months later. I just updated to Sonoma 14.2.1 hoping it might help but quite the opposite. The Apple ID panel has now completely disappeared from Settings but my mac continues to sync with my iCloud account - e.g. I can see new photos take on my iPhone etc. When I select Internet Accounts in setting, my iCloud account is visible but as soon as I click it, I get the "Extension process Apple ID exited" error message. I checked the system logs and noticed that I can consistently generate a crash report - JetsamEvent - every time I try to open iCloud account in settings. So from what little knowledge I have about macs it seems that opening iCloud settings is somehow creating memory pressure that forces the process to quit?

Oct 23, 2023 6:39 PM in response to pstaffor

Hi There, I think I may have found the solution.

You need to go to "Internet Accounts" in system settings, click on the icloud tab (which you can see in the image below) which will take you to another page where you can log in to your icloud account. Then that should just update icloud. Hope that works for you. It seems to have worked for me.

Jan 5, 2024 5:32 AM in response to pstaffor

This started happening for me after switching Apple ID off and on to solve a sync problem; working with Apple Sr. Advisor on phone. Now on Sonoma 14.2.1, same result reported above: System Settings... Name/AppleID... gives "Extension process Apple ID (##) exited". I've tried all the suggestions mentioned above.

Troubleshooting:

• Same mac, different user, same Apple ID — Same fail.
  • Same mac, different user, new different Apple ID — OK, no problem
  • Different mac, with OS 12.7.2, same Apple ID — Fails, no error msg, but after entering ID and password, the entry window just cycles in an infinite loop

Here's the corker:

• Went to Apple Store, bought a BRAND NEW Mac Mini. It has Ventura.
  • The initial user setup FAILS... After entering same Apple ID and PW, setup sequence restarts, infinite loop
  • Keep trying... Skip the ID part in initial setup, then try adding ID later
  • System Settings... Name/ID... "Settings Error... The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.extensionKit.errorDomain error 15.)

Conclusion:

• It's not the user on my Mac, and not the machine itself. It's not Sonoma or Ventura.
  • This is a problem with my Apple ID somewhere upstream in Apple's cloud.

Oct 30, 2023 8:10 PM in response to pstaffor

I also have the same problem on my MacBook after update to Sonoma. I have tried logging out of the Apple ID on my Mac but when I click Apple ID or Internet Accounts in System Settings it comes up blank or I get the "extension process exited..." error message. I have also tried removing my MacBook from the account under Apple ID/Devices settings from a browser but that does not have any effect. Finally, I tried setting up a new account on my MacBook, with the same Apple ID, which solved the issue for half a day but the problem re-occurred. I have two other accounts on the same MacBook with different Apple IDs and those are fine so the problem appears to be specific to the Apple ID. I have 3 other Apple devices (1 MacMini and 2 iPads) and I am able to access my Apple Id from System Settings on those devices without any problems. My Photos app on my MacBook updates so it is still connected to my Apple ID but I just cannot access Apple ID from System Settings....totally stumped!

Nov 19, 2023 1:41 PM in response to pstaffor

I had the same error and noticed that my profile pic was not loading too. Here's what helped me in case if anyone has similar issue:

dscl . -delete /Users/${USER} JPEGPhoto

That command deleted the profile picture which apparently was corrupted. After that I removed the MacBook from my iCloud using my iPhone. MacBook detected that and asked to re-enter the password. And now everything works fine.

Jan 16, 2024 3:29 PM in response to pstaffor

FIX: If you are still receiving this Settings Error after updating to MacOS 14.1.2: “Extension process Apple ID (4589) exited” on your Mac.

I already posted a robust solution in this very forum that works to remove this problem (and has mysteriously disappeared from this thread?). Trying again. This is an iCloud issue after updating. Hopefully, you should still be receiving the error message above. If you've already done some of the other kludges posted herein, and are not still receiving this error message, this may not help you.

After the update to OS 14.1.2, when you follow the screen prompt and agree to accept the new iCloud Terms and Conditions, the “I Agree” link cannot complete because the update has already logged you out of your web iCloud page by turning off your web iCloud password. Under Settings on your Mac, your Apple ID categories will be grayed out and inactive.

The OS update has caused your web iCloud and your Mac iCloud to sever their connection because the new iCloud Terms and Conditions, the “I Agree” link cannot complete. This notification will keep popping up until you fix the problem. It removes trusted status for your Mac as well. It’s as if you never logged in, even if you selected “Keep me logged in”. Why? Who knows!

Here’s what I did to fix the error. It may not work for everyone but the basic solution is this:

•Shut down and reboot your Mac.

•Go to your web iCloud page, you will probably need to log-in again with your existing email and password. Select “Keep me logged in”. If successful, proceed to…

•Shut down and reboot your Mac.

•When the Apple Notification to accept iCloud Terms and Conditions appears, click the “I Agree” link.

•You will be sent to a pop-up that wants to verify you and requires you to select your Mac as “Trusted” by entering a 6 digit code sent to you into a page with six empty boxes. Do so. Follow further instructions.

•Now return to Settings on your Mac, and your Apple ID categories will be full color and active. They now should sync together, and the iCloud Terms and Conditions Notification will cease.

I hope this will remain posted and be of some help.

Jan 5, 2024 8:12 AM in response to Richard Karash

Thanks for the detailed notes. Two points I would add

1. After upgrading my Macbook Air M1 to 14.2.1, iCloud profile disappeared completely from Settings. My iCloud account still appears under Internet Accounts but when I click it, I get the error message "Extension process...". However my mac is still syncing fine...photos, calendar etc.
  2. I am logged into the same iCloud account on two iPads, a Mac mini M1 and Macbook Air M2 without any problems.

Oct 16, 2023 4:17 PM in response to pstaffor

I was chatting and getting phone support for a total of 4+ hours. They managed to get me back into my MacBook but I had to sign out of my iPhone and log into the account that was connected to my MacBook. In addition to this I was told that I had to use my iPhone to do it. Can't remember all of the steps because it was literally trial and error (bless the representatives that had to help me because they remained patient while they too were trying to figure out trick after trick, hack after hack to get back into my computer. Anyway, after disconnecting the call, thinking that the problem was resolved, the Terms and Conditions message popped up in my MacBook settings, I clicked on it thinking that I would be allowed to accept it, but here we were again..it gave me the Settings Error Message!!! I say this to say, even when the problem appeared to be fixed it created other problems on my computer and MacBook, smh. If I knew that one update would cause so much strain I would've left it alone until my computer absolutely needed it because this is too much!!

Oct 21, 2023 7:06 PM in response to pstaffor

I am not sure that I lost access to iCloud, but I was getting a message like that in System Settings with a fresh install of Sonoma--no data carried over--and I was getting a popup saying that I had to agree to a new iCloud agreement, but I just kept getting similar errors in System Settings. What seemed to help was signing out of my AppleID on the Mac and then signing in again. This also asked me for my phone password, and the Mac Password, so maybe that's part what was bugging the software. I don't know.

Oct 10, 2023 12:47 PM in response to pstaffor

Hi pstaffor,

This page has some troubleshooting when you can't access your iCloud account, which may help:

If you can't connect or sign in to iCloud - Apple Support

We'd advise contacting Apple Support, if the issue persists, so they can look into what's happening.

Get Support

Let them know your iCloud data is still available at the iCloud webpage.

Take care!

Nov 15, 2023 1:00 PM in response to Junehoo

So, I had the same issue on my MacBook and after talking almost daily with apple support trying to solve this nothing worked. The only thing that did it for me was to restore my computer to factory settings. The restore forced my Apple ID to sign out (I couldn’t sign out because when I went to Apple ID in system settings the error popped) and when I opened it again I signed in without any problem.

Feb 13, 2024 6:03 AM in response to mihma

mihma, BINGO!

Based on your post, and previous mentions of profile pic, I did this:

• Login to iCloud from web browser (you can't access the change-photo screen in Mac-settings due to the error)
  • Click on little photo circle at top right of page
  • Added a profile picture (had none before)

Now the error is gone. From this I suggest anyone with the error go to iCloud and add or replace their profile photo.

Extension process Apple ID (4589) exited

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.