Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 15 - CarPlay Solution and Fix to make it work

Many have had issues like me with their iPhone 15 not working with CarPlay. The solution is NOT in the cables or USB C to A adapters. My vehicle a 2017 Chevy Suburban only has USB A ports. After discussion with Apple Tech support and others on this forum I put together the missing pieces. My screen shots are attached.

The key to the solution is You need to delete all devices from the the CarPlay device management in your radio. This along with renaming your iPhone and hard rebooting it. You will likely need to go through the CarPlay device management delete process several times until all are deleted. I found as I deleted there were many older devices still in the device management that appeared . Next un-pair from Bluetooth in car and on device forget. Once all devices are cleared the radio looks at your device as the first one connected to CarPlay and starts with a brand new message.

1. Delete and forget your phone from Bluetooth on phone and on radio.
  2. Re-name your phone in Settings >About>Name
  3. Hard reboot your phone volume up>volume down> press and hold power button until Apple logo reappears and release.
  4. Plug in your USB C cable or in my case UBS C w/ USB C to A adapter or any name brand cable that is USB C to USB A. I used the Apple USB C and adapter, Anker USB C to USB A and Amazon Basics USB C to USB- A. All worked so the cable is not the issue.

Once plugged in CarPlay should pop up with a new welcome message and follow menu directions.

Last pair your phone via Bluetooth.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2024 11:47 AM

It worked!

I spent hours on text and phone support with Apple trying to connect iPhone 15Pro to my 2023 car and they were no help. I was ready to return the iPhone, but these instructions and a new data cable worked perfectly.

Thank you!!!

14 replies

Mar 9, 2024 7:46 PM in response to MrUpNorth

THANK YOU!!!! This worked for me after a very frustrating week of trying to figure it out and buying various adapters and cords. I have a 2022 Honda Pilot and was about to return my new iPhone 15. Followed these steps, reconnected to Bluetooth and boom I connected to CarPlay! I would add that I tried several cords after this fix and the 2 that worked were certified Made for iPhone (MFI). I am also using the cords plugged into a USB to USB C adapter.

Apr 5, 2024 1:25 PM in response to MrUpNorth

Like everyone here, I tried everything. Deleted all Bluetooth connections from my 2022 Honda Ridgeline, renamed my phone, etc. Today I borrowed someone’s cable and tried it—brought up CarPlay right away. I have a plain iPhone 15. Went to the Verizon store and bought another cable but they let me try it in my truck before handing over any cash. Works like a charm. Good luck to everyone still fighting this problem.

Apr 20, 2024 9:10 AM in response to MrUpNorth

This didn't work for me with my 2021 Honda Passport. I got my iPhone 15 in September and only started having problems with it a month ago. I've spent hours talking to Apple support and they have determined that it is not the cable, not the car, but an Apple issue. Developers are still working to try to fix it so hopefully a new update will come out soon!

Apr 22, 2024 12:44 PM in response to MrUpNorth

I got a rental 2024 Mazda 3. Had the same issue where the car would allow me to connect my phone. What ended working for was connecting to CarPlay while having a power bank hooked up to the phone at the same time. Not sure the actual reason why it worked but it did. And after the initial connection I didn’t need the power bank after when I plugged my phone into car. If it works. Might be a good work around instead of having to mess around with the settings

Apr 23, 2024 6:09 PM in response to MrUpNorth

For anyone still encountering this issue, I have fix to add. I had this problem with my new iPhone 15 Pro in my 2017 Mustang. Plugging it in with a USB-C to USB cord would trigger the warning and my phone wouldn't even charge, let alone connect to CarPlay.

I bought the Belkin USB-A to USB-C cord that was recommended, and it still wouldn't work. Same issue, same error. I deleted the Bluetooth connection and all Apple CarPlay profiles, and I changed the name of my iPhone, but it still wouldn't connect.

Here's how I made it work, which makes me suspect I didn't need to take any of the earlier steps (I'll test one of my old cords later to see if I can make them work using this method):

1. Turn off the iPhone

2. Plug the iPhone into the car's USB port

3. Turn on the iPhone

My iPhone came to life and immediately showed the "charging" indicator. Then, a notification popped up on my iPhone stating that I must unlock it to use the "connected accessory". I unlocked my iPhone and the CarPlay setup commenced & completed without a hitch.

iPhone 15 - CarPlay Solution and Fix to make it work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.