iPhone 15 charging with MagSafe charges for about a minute then stops charging

New issue to iPhone 15 pro, did not happen with my iPhone 14 pro max. Place it on the MagSafe charger, it shows charging has begun. Come back a short while later and it has stopped charging. I turned off the green energy setting (I'm on solar), no difference. Anyone else see this happening?

Charging on USB-C is not a problem.

iPhone 15 Pro

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 12:28 AM

I contacted support about this same exact issue and when they looked in their records to see if this was a reported issue, I was shocked when they told me only 1 person reported this issue.

Here’s a list of the few threads I saw (including this one) with the exact same issue with MagSafe/Wireless Charging on iPhone 15s. There’s more, but I’m too lazy to collect every single one lol.

iPhone 15 charging with MagSafe charges f… - Apple Community

Iphone 15 Pro not compatible with some wi… - Apple Community

iPhone 15 Pro not charging on Belkin BOOS… - Apple Community

iPhone 15 Pro Max not charging while off in Mag… - Apple Community

When I mentioned this “discussions website” to Apple Support via phone support, and told them there’s more than just one person experiencing this issue, support told me they don’t monitor this website, which is unfortunate because if they did, a patch for this bug could’ve been in the works WEEKS AGO just in-time for the next iOS 17 iteration update that’ll be released.

I have multiple MagSafe charges (including the Apple branded one), and they all act the same way when using my iPhone 15 Pro Max. They’ll charge for a few seconds or a few minutes then disconnect completely. I had to switch to just using a USB-C cable that’s connected straight to the wall and the phone because MagSafe just doesn’t work anymore for the past 24hrs to 48hrs.

My iPhone 15 Pro Max is running iOS 17.0.3.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 12:28 AM in response to Mark-L

I contacted support about this same exact issue and when they looked in their records to see if this was a reported issue, I was shocked when they told me only 1 person reported this issue.

Here’s a list of the few threads I saw (including this one) with the exact same issue with MagSafe/Wireless Charging on iPhone 15s. There’s more, but I’m too lazy to collect every single one lol.

iPhone 15 charging with MagSafe charges f… - Apple Community

Iphone 15 Pro not compatible with some wi… - Apple Community

iPhone 15 Pro not charging on Belkin BOOS… - Apple Community

iPhone 15 Pro Max not charging while off in Mag… - Apple Community

When I mentioned this “discussions website” to Apple Support via phone support, and told them there’s more than just one person experiencing this issue, support told me they don’t monitor this website, which is unfortunate because if they did, a patch for this bug could’ve been in the works WEEKS AGO just in-time for the next iOS 17 iteration update that’ll be released.

I have multiple MagSafe charges (including the Apple branded one), and they all act the same way when using my iPhone 15 Pro Max. They’ll charge for a few seconds or a few minutes then disconnect completely. I had to switch to just using a USB-C cable that’s connected straight to the wall and the phone because MagSafe just doesn’t work anymore for the past 24hrs to 48hrs.

My iPhone 15 Pro Max is running iOS 17.0.3.

Oct 26, 2023 7:00 PM in response to Mark-L

Same here. Iphone 15 pro max. When charging with the apple magsafe charger, it will charge for a few minutes (or seconds) and then will not charge.

• Using type c cable to charge has no problems.
  • tried plugging in the magsafe charger to an official apple charger brick but still the same.

two days ago i tried hard reset and it worked. But yesterday it didnt. So i plugged in the type c cable to charge for a few seconds, took out the type c cable and then put the phone on the magsafe charger and it charged without stopping. Also, updated to ios 17.1 and the problem is the same.

Dec 16, 2023 12:38 AM in response to Mark-L

Found this on another area and it worked:

How to fix it

The steps are easy and painless. Just keep in mind that you need to do them in quick succession.

• With your iPhone unlocked, quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
  • Then immediately after, press and release the Volume Down button.
  • Now press and hold the side / power button until the screen turns off and the Apple logo appears.
  • Release the button and let your iPhone boot up.

Now, try that same MagSafe charger that was acting up. See if it starts charging, and make sure it continues to charge after a few minutes. If it does, you should be in the clear. Otherwise, it may be time to consult Apple customer support.

Dec 17, 2023 12:52 AM in response to Mark-L

How to fix it

The steps are easy and painless. Just keep in mind that you need to do them in quick succession.

• With your iPhone unlocked, quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
  • Then immediately after, press and release the Volume Down button.
  • Now press and hold the side / power button until the screen turns off and the Apple logo appears.
  • Release the button and let your iPhone boot up.

Now, try that same MagSafe charger that was acting up. See if it starts charging, and make sure it continues to charge after a few minutes. If it does, you should be in the clear. Otherwise, it may be time to consult Apple customer support.

Oct 25, 2023 7:50 PM in response to Mark-L

Has your issue always been that way since ownership or has it just started?

I’ve had my iPhone 15 Pro Max since September 22, 2023 and the issue with MagSafe charging, just started happening to me 72 hrs ago now.

I’m still using the same accessories since September 22nd, nothing has changed so I’m very confused as to why this is happening now? It’s not my MagSafe chargers because they still charge my iPhone 13 Pro Max without any issues.

Oct 27, 2023 8:33 AM in response to Pelleram

Yes, I contacted Apple support. They said I needed an official MagSafe Charger with USB-C, and a 20W minimum power adapter. I had those. I had the latest, IOS 17.0.3. The only solution for me was to remove the case. I have since purchased an "official" Apple MagSafe case and it charges with that as well.

Nov 6, 2023 10:43 PM in response to Kate_L14

Kate_L14

If I were you, I would thoroughly check to see if the issue happens without a case before buying another one or filing a warranty claim with your current case maker.

Some iPhone 15 users are reporting they’re still experiencing the issue regardless if they have a case on or not, so I would thoroughly check and do some testing to see when does the issue occur before making any major decisions.

It would also help to have the official Apple branded MagSafe charger paired with the recommended 20w Apple branded wall adapter Apple sells so if the issue persists, Apple Support will know you’re using “their” products when the issue occurs and if you’re experiencing the issue with other third party MagSafe chargers as well, that’ll give them good insight on that this issue happens on multiple MagSafe chargers.

Jan 21, 2024 7:01 PM in response to Mark-L

Both of my cars have CarPlay. The older of the two uses a USB cable to connect to the car. I have no issues. I just bought my iPhone 15 this past week and only today I’ve had the opportunity to put it in my new car, which has the MagSafe charger built-in. I noticed that like the person said that it will charge and then I’ll look down in the CarPlay and it’s no longer charging. At first I thought it was the armor case that I have on the iPhone. however, having read several articles I see that people are having the same problem I have. OK Apple get off your butts and fix this

iPhone 15 charging with MagSafe charges for about a minute then stops charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.