Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 15 Pro Max not charging while off in MagSafe charger

My 3 day old iPhone 15 Pro Max is not charging while powered off and sitting on Apple Magsafe charger. Brand new MagSafe case as well. Doesn’t matter if case is on or off. I place the iPhone on the charger, it shows as charging and then I shut it off. Next day, still at the same charge percentage as the night before.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 5:40 PM

Apple replaced my iPhone 15 Pro Max and I purchased a brand new MagSafe charger, I needed one for when I travel. The new iPhone 15 Pro Max still does the same thing as the previous one, it will not charge on the charger when turned off and actually, it depletes the battery.

Obviously this is an issue that Apple either still has not acknowledged or is totally oblivious to.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2023 5:40 PM in response to Shaun2322

Apple replaced my iPhone 15 Pro Max and I purchased a brand new MagSafe charger, I needed one for when I travel. The new iPhone 15 Pro Max still does the same thing as the previous one, it will not charge on the charger when turned off and actually, it depletes the battery.

Obviously this is an issue that Apple either still has not acknowledged or is totally oblivious to.

Oct 25, 2023 12:25 AM in response to BedPilot

I contacted support about this same exact issue and when they looked in their records to see if this was a reported issue, I was shocked when they told me only 1 person reported this issue.

Here’s a list of the few threads I saw (including this one) with the exact same issue with MagSafe/Wireless Charging on iPhone 15s. There’s more, but I’m too lazy to collect every single one lol.

iPhone 15 charging with MagSafe charges f… - Apple Community

Iphone 15 Pro not compatible with some wi… - Apple Community

iPhone 15 Pro not charging on Belkin BOOS… - Apple Community

iPhone 15 Pro Max not charging while off in Mag… - Apple Community

When I mentioned this “discussions website” to Apple Support via phone support, and told them there’s more than just one person experiencing this issue, support told me they don’t monitor this website, which is unfortunate because if they did, a patch for this bug could’ve been in the works WEEKS AGO just in-time for the next iOS 17 iteration update that’ll be released.

I have multiple MagSafe charges (including the Apple branded one), and they all act the same way when using my iPhone 15 Pro Max. They’ll charge for a few seconds or a few minutes then disconnect completely. I had to switch to just using a USB-C cable that’s connected straight to the wall and the phone because MagSafe just doesn’t work anymore for the past 24hrs to 48hrs.

My iPhone 15 Pro Max is running iOS 17.0.3.

Oct 11, 2023 5:46 AM in response to BedPilot

Greetings BedPilot,

Thanks for returning with this information. Since the MagSafe adapter is not working as expected you'll want to look over guidance for this issue. Check out and follow the steps on this page: If your MagSafe cable or power adapter isn't working - Apple Support.

If you have followed the suggestions offered on this page and still have an issue, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support directly. You can reach out to them by clicking here: Get Support or over the phone by calling the number that is most local to your region: Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support.

We hope this information helps you out.

Kind regards!

Nov 29, 2023 11:48 PM in response to Toot_Toot_Beep_Beep

Toot_Toot_Beep_Beep

You have a “brand new” iPhone 15 that’s not charging on MagSafe chargers. The ticket is not for your charger, the ticket is for your phone.

Call 1-800-MyApple, ask to speak to technical support, technical support will ask you questions about the issue and try to do troubleshooting steps with you, and if all else fails, they’ll transfer you to a senior advisor for further assistance.

Oct 11, 2023 5:30 AM in response to Lissy_12

Thank you fur the in-depth reply. I am using an iPhone 15 Pro Max and it charges with the provided cord and a suitable Apple power supply. It is not working on the Apple MagSafe wireless charger if the phone is turned off. If I leave it powered on on the wireless charger, it charges with no problem. The moment I physically power the device down, it stops charging and if anything, it drains the device battery. This happens with MagSafe protective cover and without.

Oct 10, 2023 8:02 AM in response to BedPilot

Hi BedPilot,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We would recommend the guidance in the following article that can help:

If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge

Plug into power
To charge your device, follow these steps:
1. Connect your device to the USB cable that comes with it.
2. Plug into one of these three power sources:
•Wall power outlet
Plug your USB charging cable into a USB power adapter, then plug the adapter into the wall.
•Computer
Plug your charging cable into a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port on a computer that's on and not in sleep mode. Don’t use the USB ports on your keyboard.
•Power accessory
Plug your cable into a powered USB hub, docking station, or other Apple-certified accessory.

If you're trying to charge wirelessly with an iPhone 8 or later, first make sure that you can charge with the USB cable that came with your device. If that works, then get help with wireless charging. For a third-party accessory, check that it's Apple certified.

If your device charges slowly or won’t charge
Follow these steps and try again after each:
1. Check your charging cable and USB adapter for signs of damage, like breakage or bent prongs. Don't use damaged accessories.
2. Use a wall power outlet and check for firm connections between your charging cable, USB wall adapter, and wall outlet or AC power cable, or try a different outlet. 
3. Remove any debris from the charging port on the bottom of your device, then firmly plug your charging cable into your device. If the charging port is damaged, your device probably needs service.
4. Let your device charge for a half hour.
5. If your device is still unresponsive, force restart your device: 
•iPhone 8 or later and iPhone SE (2nd generation): Press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
•iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold both the side (or top) button and the volume down button until the Apple logo appears. 
•iPhone 6s or earlier, iPhone SE (1st generation), and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the side (or top) button and the Home button until the Apple logo appears.
6. Let your device charge for another half hour.
7. If your device still won't power on or charge, take your device, charging cable, and charging adapter to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for evaluation. You can also contact Apple Support.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Oct 22, 2023 8:09 AM in response to BedPilot

BedPilot wrote:

Well, it’s definitely an “issue”, since all previous iPhones as of late, charge while turned off on the MagSafe charger. Whilst, it charges fine with the cord while turned off.

I switched to MagSafe charging a few years ago and have never once been able to get an iPhone to charge on a MagSafe charger if the phone was powered off. If you power off your iPhone, then place it on a MagSafe charger, the phone will turn on so the phone can regulate the MagSafe charge. This is by design.

But you are correct that you can plug your phone into cable/brick charge, then turn it off and it will charge.

I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to turn your phone off while charging it? It is simply not necessary to power the phone off to charge it. Nor does it provide any tangible benefit.

Oct 26, 2023 12:23 AM in response to BedPilot

Now that I’ve had some sleep lol, I’m able to clearly read and comprehend what your post was actually referring to, which is very different from what I commented previously! Some of us aren’t able to use MagSafe Charging while our iPhone 15s are powered on!

I don’t know if it’s the same situation when powered off, I’ll have to test this later on today and if my iPhone 15 Pro Max charges fine with MagSafe when the phone is powered off, then I’ll have to get in touch with my Senior Advisor and let her know about the new discovery so it can be included in my pending ticket.

iPhone 15 Pro Max not charging while off in MagSafe charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.