Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iMessage Red Voice Recording Symbol Won’t Leave

Cannot get the red voice recording symbol to leave. It only persists for this one contact. Every other contact/group shows the microphone icon like normal.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 11:53 AM

Hello johnare,

To switch from Voice mode back to Dictation mode in the reply box, just press the microphone icon at the bottom right corner under the keyboard.

Dictate text on iPhone

Cheers!

30 replies

Mar 13, 2024 11:36 PM in response to badeggsalad

I have the same red marking on my text to one person and sent a voice text by mistake on a conversation I was having in my car about the family . I was devastated to see that this was sent . I have tried the enable dictation and there is no microphone in the bottom right corner of my keyboard. It is only on one contact and I need it removed it has caused so much stress

Feb 14, 2024 6:54 PM in response to Heckfire

Hey all!

If you don’t see the microphone icon on the bottom right, go to Settings > General > Keyboard and turn on “Enable Dictation”. In fact just turning on Dictation alone may get rid of the red audio symbol.

I believe it’s just a new feature/function, you can see it referenced in this article:

Send and receive audio messages on iPhone - Apple Support

Hope that helps!

iMessage Red Voice Recording Symbol Won’t Leave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.