Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New version of itunes & IOS 11.3 WON'T sync photos on Windows 10

I just installed the latest itunes version (12.7.4.76) and the latest IOS (11.3) on my iPad and iPhone and now itunes won't sync my pictures from my PC library on either device.

I have tried selecting "all folders" and "selected folders" Nothing works...

I have rebooted both the PC and iPad and Restored by iPad and NOTHING works.

Itunes just sits with the message "Reading photos from "Pictures" FOREVER!!!

iPhone X, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 4, 2018 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2018 9:41 PM

I have the same problem suddenly, for all my devices, iPhone 6S, iPhone7, iPad Pro, the newest iPad, iPad old................total 6 devices, all cannot syn photos via my notebook which is using Window 10.

I hope Apple is not trying to push all users to use iCloud, I have 40GB photos and I really don't want to buy the cloud.
If Apple really wants to do this, I will give up using Apple products!

Similar questions

75 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2018 9:41 PM in response to Lsiegfried

I have the same problem suddenly, for all my devices, iPhone 6S, iPhone7, iPad Pro, the newest iPad, iPad old................total 6 devices, all cannot syn photos via my notebook which is using Window 10.

I hope Apple is not trying to push all users to use iCloud, I have 40GB photos and I really don't want to buy the cloud.
If Apple really wants to do this, I will give up using Apple products!

Jun 3, 2018 12:12 PM in response to Florence Law

Updated iTunes to 12.7.5.9 and iOS 11.4. I even deleted and reinstalled iTunes

and deleted the Cache

There was no change for my iPhone 8. My iPad synced fine.

Something interesting I found. If I look on my iPhone 8 in photos under ALBUMS, I see the empty Albums. However, if I Click on PHOTOS, I see the actual pictures from the folder from my PC including the Camera Roll .

User uploaded file

NOTE: Even when I clear

User uploaded file

The Albums disappear, but the PC pictures remain in the photos.

Can this be the issue? Please assist on removing those photos. I am unable to do so from the iPhone.

I've sent this to the level 2 person at Apple support waiting for a reply.

NOTE: the iPhone is the device I was doing all the testing with the Level 2 person until the latest release of the iOS and iTunes came out,

Apr 23, 2018 7:37 AM in response to BigDominic

I had success this morning.

• I deleted all the photos on my iPhone X by
    turning on iCloud Photos and accepting the notice that all photos on the phone would be deleted. When that was complete, I restarted the phone.
  • I deleted the” iCloud photos” and “iPod Photo Cache” folders in my “Pictures” folder on the PC and restarted the computer.
  • I opened iTunes and connected my phone. Rather than select “All Folders” as I have done in the past, I went for “Selected folders” option and selected each folder individually, then synced.

It worked. All my 9,500 photos made it to my phone,
organized correctly in the proper folders.

It’s anybody’s guess if sync will work properly the next
time, but for now, I have all my photos back.

Window 10, iOS 11.3 (iPhone X), iTunes 12.7.4.80

Apr 4, 2018 9:22 PM in response to Troysta747

I tried one folder of 14 pictures and it took 7 minutes to sync...

Then I tried a couple of additional folders of 50 more pictures and it took 15 minutes to sync...

I continued to add folders and the time grew, based on the TOTAL number of pictures... either already sync'd or to be sync'd...

It failed a number of times when copying a few hundred pictures... with "device error" I had to reboot my iPad and try again...

Now at 2000 pictures and it takes 2 hours to sync!!!!

Apr 9, 2018 1:23 PM in response to Lsiegfried

I have exactly the same problem. ITunes Version 12.7.3.46 works absolutely perfectly. Upgrading to 12.7.4 breaks the photos sync. I am syncing ONE directory (\IPhone Photos), containing 2135 photos. With version 12.7.3.46, reading that directory takes under 10 seconds, with the entire IPhone sync taking under 60 seconds. After ONLY upgrading to 12.7.4 on my system, Reading that directory takes over 45 minutes, with the entire sync taking almost two hours. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, installed from downloaded .exe, installed via upgrade, two DIFFERENT machines, etc. etc. Just got off the phone with Apple Support and the tech had never heard of the issue. I am CONVINCED this is a major bug with 12.7.4. Until I get some kind of explanation as to why this is occurring, I have turned off all Apple Software and ITunes updates. This is the third MAJOR issue I have had with Apple software in the past two months. I too am ready to move on to a different phone/software. Samsung, anyone?

Apr 9, 2018 2:41 PM in response to Troysta747

I have the same problem, but the environment is a bit different iTunes for Windows 12.7.4 76 on Windows 7 Pro and iOS 11.3 on iPhone SE. I have 4070 pixs on my computer that I sync with the iPhone. All pictures are a reduce size no more than 850 KB per. iPhone is a 64 GB with 43.49 GB still free. I left the computer overnight trying to sync, waiting in the 5th cycle of the syncing cycle...in the morning it still saying ..."reading the iPhone pictures."... but never did. I restarted the process.

The only way I was able to sync my iPhone SE with the pictures on computer, was to first d-select "sync Photos" to remove all the pictures from my iPhone. Than I removed the folder of pictures that are stored on my computer by the iPhone name: "iPod Photo Cache"(usually located in the same folder where you keep your pictures on the computer that you sync with iPhone) . Than I synced all folders/picture and it worked.

Caution: when you delete all pictures and remove folder "iPod Photo Cache " from your computer, you will lose the "People" in "Albums" that are grouped by same type of faces...BUT do not worry, iPhone will rebuild them again as you had them once you synced all your pictures, just plug the phone in and lock the screen...in 30 to 40 min (4070 pix's for me) will be done....

This was not a problem with previous iOS and iTunes before I updated to new releases a week back...Hope they fix it !!!

Apr 12, 2018 11:09 AM in response to gheorghefromsan diego

It is definitely a 12.7.4 issue. I have Apple Care and the representative didn't think their developers will put too much stress on correcting it since it involves PCs and not MACs! I think that is ridiculous as many of us that own iPhones and iPads are also WINDOWS users. Just GOOGLE for "12.7.4 reading photos iTunes" and you'll see a ton of people with the issue.

Please contact APPLE directly as they seem not hooked into the discussion web site.

Apr 14, 2018 6:11 AM in response to BigDominic

I have iPhone 7 + and a 6 does the exact same thing. have not found the solution. talked to 5 different chats apple and they said they bring it to higher up level. talk to higher level same thing need go higher, supposed to get call back then no response, totally dispointed in apple. seems now every firmware update destroys the phone instead fix it. seems to be the last updated ones. yes I also re installed everything with no luck.

Apr 16, 2018 8:47 PM in response to Lsiegfried

I have about 9,000 photos in about 30 folders that I sync to from phone to Windows 10 PC. I sort the photo's from my camera roll, into the appropriate folders on my PC and then use iTunes to sync them back to the photo's app on my iPhone X in their respective folders. iPhone is running 11.3 and I was able to sync fine until I updated to iTunes 12.7.4.76 and now I just get to step 5 of 6 "syncing" and it just sits there. I can still back up the phone -I just can't sync.

I contacted Apple Support and a case was created, and ended up going to a senior tech who had me delete the photo cache on my PC. When I connected my phone at that point, iTunes deleted all the photos and folders from my iPhone but then could not re-load them on. So it actually made a bad situation worse. I have now lost all the photos from my phone and cannot re add them again until an update to iTunes is released.

Its not the end of the world, but it is very frustrating to not be able to have the pics on my phone at the time of year where I take the most and also share them with people.

I suppose I could spend the money and upgrade cloud storage to a capacity that would support the photo syncing, but I would much rather do that on my computer.

Is there another work around for this issue anyone has discovered or are we waiting for a software update? Has anyone heard that Apple is acknowledging this issue? The senior tech I was working with hadn't heard of it.

Apr 16, 2018 9:01 PM in response to 21stcenturytech

YES! The issue is iTunes 12.7.4!

I opened a case with APPLE on April 6, 2018. I spoke to a Level 2 person. They seem to live in a tunnel and not recognize Windows users. They don't even have access to this discussion group; even though the domain is apple.com! She was sending it to the application developers. We'll see how long that takes to be recognized. I suggest everyone to contact APPLE to get an urgency on this.

Just google "12.7.4 reading photos iTunes" and you will see many people with the same issue.

Apr 21, 2018 3:43 AM in response to wvkds

Ok. The download was easy - I just searched the web for iTunes 12.7.3. I then tried to start it but the library was of the 12.7.4 version and would not load. So much for uninstall. So I searched my HD and found the libraries for the old versions and of course their name was did not include the version number. So I renamed the 12.7.4 library to save it and picked the latest library and renamed it and moved it to the spot of the 12.7.4 version. I started up iTunes, had to sign in 3 times to the store for some ungodly reason and now running sync. As I have 55, 326 photos it will take a time to find out if this works. But I am hopeful. At least the backup phase went quicker.

Kirk

New version of itunes & IOS 11.3 WON'T sync photos on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.