Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud for windows keeps asking for password

I am using a Dell i7 laptop with fully-updated Windows 10 Home.

Computer runs antivirus and Malwarebytes.

I have been using iCloud for Windows on my device for years, BUT

For the last 48 hours, every time my computer awakes from sleep or is rebooted, I am asked for my iCloud for windows password and my two-factor authentication code.

I have uninstalled all Apple software and freshly reinstalled just iCloud for Windows, but the issue persists.

I spent an hour+ on the phone with Apple Support yesterday, but no solution yet, so I am turning to the Community for some ideas.

Thanks to all!

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.3

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 7:05 AM

Similar questions

55 replies

Oct 12, 2018 8:53 AM in response to .NET Master

I have the same problem, caused by the Microsoft Tuesday 10/9/2018 release. It affected only the system that have the iCloud app such as my surface pro 4. It is constantly asking for password requiring me to enter the 6 digit two step authorization. As suggested, I removed all entries from iCloud devices on my iPhone X. I had 5 entries for "Area51" my dell desktop. All entries were identified as windows 10. There were 3 entries for my surface pro 4. All entries indicated windows 6 version, not 10. This did not fix the problem on the surface pro. The Dell desktop had no problem but I access iCloud using its browser, either edge or chrome as I never installed the app. I did not have the problem on the surface pro before the update nor did I ever have it on the Dell desktop.

I installed the iCloud app on my Dell. It now shows up as "windows 6" instead of 10. It now has the same problem: I have to log in on every reboot of the Dell.

There is a second problem that turned up on the Dell. It has outlook 365 unlike my surface pro. I cannot "apply" the iCloud setup as "Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile". Googling I find a solution but clearly there is a bug in m$oft default app setup. As shown below, I am asked to chose an app for the WEBCAL default. It is not possible to choose OUTLOOK although that is what Microsoft gives as the solution to the problem. Clicking on OUTLOOK pops up more choices that are unrelated to WEBCAL but also include the same OUTLOOK which results in an infinite loop if OUTLOOK is selected again. Any other option closes the popup but the "Choose a default" remains. I assume this is a Microsoft problem that is somehow interfering with iCloud? In any event, I can only cancel out of the iCloud setup as clicking on apply traps into that outlook default problem. I will be uninstalling iCloud app from the desktop but would like to keep it on my surface pro but cannot live with it constantly asking for my password and having to go find my iPhone to get the verification code.

User uploaded file

May 7, 2018 7:14 AM in response to DougR34135

May 4, 2018 2:58 PM Re: icloud for windows keeps asking for passwordin response to DougR34135

Hi Everbody,

I've got a workaround while Apple does not fix the problem.
I uninstalled the version of Icloud for windows 7.4.
Then I downloaded an older version, 6.2.2.
At https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/25317-icloud_control_panel_for_windows you can download it. I installed and followed the instructions to install in Outlook. Now it's working.
We're going to have to wait for Apple to pity us and get the issue straight. Do not forget to turn off the automatic update in Apple Software Update. For the update we must do it manually.

May 11, 2018 5:31 PM in response to ahwman

To all,

I heard again from my Apple Support contact this evening. He had heard back from "Engineering" about the files I had uploaded.

The advice from engineering - which I declined to do since v6.2 works fine - was to:

• Uninstall all Apple software
  • Uninstall some other files
  • Make changes to the "Windows Installer Service"
  • Install the new version of iCloud for Windows and it would now work.

I told the contact that I was clearly not alone in experiencing the issue I reported, as all of you have indicated. He is going to communicate that information and that v6.2 works fine to "Engineering."

Until a working update arrives, I will stick with the old version.

Thanks, everyone, for your insights.

Doug

Apr 20, 2018 10:25 PM in response to DougR34135

I have exactly same problem and started same time with your problem. (I have a Dell i7 laptop too, weird !)

I logged out and login again to iCloud, now my icloud drive content also gone with folders&files (But they are still in the cloud) . It does not sync with the cloud drive. I will try to download my files to local. If I do that I never touch icloud drive again. I was using Google Drive before and never see a problem like this. Probably I will go back to Google Drive.

_selcuk_

Apr 22, 2018 8:34 AM in response to DougR34135

Do what I plan to do. STOP using IOS related software on Windows PCs. I keep getting "error connecting to Apple ID server" every time I try to logon to iCloud on my HP15 Windows 10 laptop even though my HP15 Windows 9.1 does logon with no problem. Microsoft is no help; they insist it's an Apple problem since it's Apple software.

I wish I hadn't bought an iPad; my Android tablets are SO MUCH EASIER to connect to my PCs.

Apr 23, 2018 5:48 AM in response to Masky_7

Thanks for your comment.

Yes, I uninstalled ALL Apple software and then rebooted and reinstalled just iCloud for Windows, but the problem remained the same.

I remain hopeful that Apple's review of my logs discloses a solution, as I would like the benefits of iCloud to extend to my laptop as well as my iPhone and iPad. I will report here on what I learn.

Apr 30, 2018 6:15 AM in response to Ash_1964

Ash,

Thanks for your note.

No reply from Apple, so far. I am disappointed, as I foresaw my provision of the logs as leading to at least some response.

My primary use of iCloud for Windows as to sync browser favorites among my devices. I have left iCloud OFF my computer and instead use my Google account to do the syncing. It works, for now.

If I don't get a fix from Apple, I am going to wait until the next iTunes/iCloud update and reinstall it to see what happens.

Doug

May 2, 2018 5:11 PM in response to selcuk119

I have still not heard back from Apple Support on my log submission, but I tried to reinstall iCloud for Windows this afternoon - and the same problem continues - I keep getting asked for my password. I uninstalled iCloud for Windows - again - and intend to keep it off my computer until I get some good reason to reinstall it.

Thankfully, Google Chrome offers a useful alternative to bookmark syncing that meets my current needs.

Doug

May 4, 2018 2:58 PM in response to DougR34135

Hi Everbody,

I've got a workaround while Apple does not fix the problem.
I uninstalled the version of Icloud for windows 7.4.
Then I downloaded an older version, 6.2.2.
At https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/25317-icloud_control_panel_for_windows you can download it. I installed and followed the instructions to install in Outlook. Now it's working.
We're going to have to wait for Apple to pity us and get the issue straight. Do not forget to turn off the automatic update in Apple Software Update. For the update we must do it manually.

May 6, 2018 2:55 PM in response to DougR34135

Doug, thank you very much for keeping up with this. It's disappointing that Apple isn't helpful but not surprising.

I temporarily turned off photo sync since I have another Cloud solution (SugarSync), and I don't care about bookmarks, but I rely on iCloud to keep my calendar synced between Windows 10/Outlook and my Apple devices.

Oddly, while it keeps asking for the password, the calendars ARE still syncing. At least so far.

Thanks again for your updates.

May 7, 2018 5:09 AM in response to apple87506

Apple Support contacted me yesterday and we tried several things. Turning off antivirus (McAfee) had no effect. We also tried a new Windows 10 user account and that seemed to avoid the repeated log-in issue, but it should not be necessary to create a new account for one application. I uploaded to Apple my system logs, so we'll see if that discloses any other avenues.

I share the view that iCloud for Windows is a "nice to have" and not essential. iCloud still works well between my Apple devices and my Google account handles bookmark syncing.

I will report further when I next hear back from Apple.

icloud for windows keeps asking for password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.