Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Unable to verify Facebook Internet Account on macOS

Hello,

I'm running macOS High Sierra and I am having trouble verifying my Facebook Internet Account.

I have added Facebook in System Properties -> Internet Accounts and entered my Facebook username email address but I get the error message "Unable to verify account name or password" in the password entry dialog box.

I have verified that my password is correct by logging into the Facebook website and I do not have two-factor authentication enabled there.

I have tried deleting the account and re-adding it. I have also tried deleting ~/Library/Keychains/{UUID} and rebooting the computer but nothing has worked.

Thanks, AB

Mac mini (Late 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

See if anything here helps.

Facebook Password Required

Can't connect to the account "Facebook", Unable to verify account name or password

Posted on

May 26, 2018 12:25 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately none of those methods worked. I tried adding the Facebook account with another Mac admin user, and in Safe Mode and I deleted all the Facebook entries in the Keychain Access app. I have tried over and over again but nothing has worked. It seems that Facebook Internet Account authentication is completely broken. My other Internet Accounts, e.g. Gmail, Twitter, etc. work fine. I have had the Facebook Internet Account for years on my Macs (I also have the problem on my MacBook Pro) and has only recently started being a problem, with pop-ups suddenly appearing and asking for Facebook authentication on my Mac mini and MacBook. Thanks

May 26, 2018 12:25 PM

Reply Helpful

May 29, 2018 6:14 AM in response to andypb123 In response to andypb123

It's happening the same to me here in Italy, since 3-4 days. Facebook is working properly on browser, Iphone and Ipad, but Internet Account in System Properties cannot log in and keeps asking me the password.

I cannot post any picture using Photo app or Instagram.

I read a similar discussion , it seems that many other users are experiencing the same recently. Hope that Apple will fix this problem soon !

May 29, 2018 6:14 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

May 29, 2018 12:55 PM in response to andypb123 In response to andypb123

I have this problem too. I am using Facebook Two-Step authentication with my account (and have for a long time). My mac prompted me to re-enter my Facebook credentials. Immediately it didn't work so I:

1. Deleted the Facebook account from my Internet Accounts on my mac.
  2. I removed anything Facebook related from my Keychain.
  3. I tried re adding the account.
    1. I used my facebook password (and yes, it is the correct password.) This was rejected.
    2. I used my facebook password + my 6 digit Authenticator PIN. This was accepted but I got the following error message: User uploaded file
    3. I tried creating an app specific password which also failed.

May 29, 2018 12:55 PM

Reply Helpful

Jun 1, 2018 1:40 PM in response to andypb123 In response to andypb123

i just FOUND a solution. in system preferences -> accounts its asking you for a username. on facebook page, go to settings -> general, and it will show your username there. NOTE - IT IS NOT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.. use THAT username and your standard log in password.

your welcome

Jun 1, 2018 1:40 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jun 3, 2018 4:04 PM in response to andypb123 In response to andypb123

I have one more glitch that I haven't seen reported on either of the threads I'm following. I deleted my FB account on Internet accounts in OSX and rebooted. I tried to reactivate the account, entered all the appropriate information and got a message that "This account already exists. Create a new account?" or something to that effect. I was not able to delete anything from my Keychain because I couldn't find anything in the keychain files that looked as if it was related to FB. (PS, I don't store ANY passwords in Keychain.) Just in case someone at Apple or FB is looking at these posts.

Jun 3, 2018 4:04 PM

Reply Helpful

Jun 5, 2018 5:32 PM in response to andypb123 In response to andypb123

I have the exact same problem on all my MacOS and iOS devices. Hope Apple (or FaceBook) will fix this. Changed my PW just to be sure I hadn't been hacked, but that's clearly not the issue.

Please post if you find a solution. This is annoying!

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2018 5:32 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: andypb123

Question: Unable to verify Facebook Internet Account on macOS