Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV can’t play audio on HomePod on iOS 11.4, help?

Things were fine prior to this update. Now the audio can only come out on the TV speakers but can’t be channeled to the HomePod despite setting audio to it. Anyone experiencing this? An iOS 11.4 bug? If not, how to overcome this?

Posted on May 30, 2018 6:12 AM

39 replies

May 31, 2018 8:39 AM in response to niksptan

I have the exact issue like this. I have been airplay to my apple tv 4k from my ipad and i can set audio output from my apple tv 4k to my homepod since ios 11.3, everything is ok on 11.3.

But I have updated to tv os 11.4 yesterday and now i cannot set audio output from apple tv to my homepod during screen mirroring from my ipad. All devices are updated to latest ios version.

Is this a software bug ? Please how can i tell apple about this?

Jun 5, 2018 9:33 AM in response to niksptan

I am having the same issue. I cannot play any audio of any kind from my apple tv to my homepod. Even when I set the audio to come out of the homepod, it still comes out of the TV. This is a new bug with 11.4.

Interestingly enough, if I am on the home screen of the Apple TV and hold down the play/pause button to select an audio source, it shows that the homepod is paused and shows an audio track from my itunes library. It appears that the homepod is 'stuck' playing that track and therefore wont switch over to playing the audio from the Apple TV.

Jun 5, 2018 1:36 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

First, thank you for your help!

The audio I am trying to play from the Apple Tv to the Homepod is from the yourube app on the apple tv.

I think everything is on the same network but I will confirm it when i get home today. i will also post screenshots.

The music that is playing on the homepod (that I dont want to play)...im not sure where its coming from. But either way it wont release control.

Jun 5, 2018 5:21 PM in response to johnmhinson

So I have a slight update...but not much progress

I subscribe to a music service called Tidal and I have the app installed on my iphone and the Apple TV. I can play the Tidal app from the Apple TV to Homepod and I can airplay from my iphone to the homepod. But as soon as I switch from playing audio from the apple tv tidal app to another app, say youtube (all on the apple tv), it switches back to using the TV audio not the homepod. All audio coming from the apple tv thats not music streaming (apple music, tidal, etc) always comes through the homepod. But audio from non music streaming sources always comes through the tv...weird.

Jun 5, 2018 6:11 PM in response to johnmhinson

One more update and I am getting more and more confused. Not the audio from most of the apps on my apple tv come through the homepod but not all. there are a few of them that dont.

I can be watching a youtube video with the audio coming through the homepod and then switch immediately to an app like twitchy.tv and the audio comes from the tv...switch back to youtube and the audio comes from the homepod again...i dont get it and this is really frustrating.

Jun 8, 2018 5:35 AM in response to niksptan

So at this point here is what I am experiencing:

All of my apps' sound goes through the homepod except for 2. Youtube and Directvnow both play through the homepod.

The system sounds do not play through the homepod.

it appears that audio only plays through the homepod when its coming through certain apps. I dont get why it wouldnt be all or nothing...

Jun 8, 2018 7:22 AM in response to johnmhinson

johnmhinson wrote:

it appears that audio only plays through the homepod when its coming through certain apps. I dont get why it wouldnt be all or nothing...

It may be up to app developers to implement a change to support HomePod under the AirPlay changes in the new OS.

As for system sounds not being sent through the AirPlay target, that may be an OS bug (personally I don't really see that as a big issue). As for the Apple TV audio output reverting from AirPlay output back to ATV output, that appears to be a long-standing issue and nothing new (this does disappoint me) and the problem may come and go with different OS releases. Hopefully this gets resolved once and for all.

Jul 24, 2018 12:17 AM in response to niksptan

I too have this issue since updating to 11.4 and hope it can be fixed soon.

Prior to 11.4, all of the Apple TV 4k audio would be routed to the HomePod when selected as the audio device.

Since updating to 11.4 almost all of the audio is instead routed over HDMI to the TV.

Netflix movies and Netflix autoplay trailers in the app interface actually play on HomePod with 11.4

Everything else, including the ATV interface (i.e. swipe sounds), Hulu videos, etc., play through HDMI instead.

It is very frustrating when a Netflix video ends and it immediately transfers audio to the TV when exiting full screen for the 'play next' options.

With version 11.3.x everything worked fine

Please Apple fix this!

Apple TV can’t play audio on HomePod on iOS 11.4, help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.