Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fullscreen on youtube appears with a white board on the right side

So, whenever I go to youtube on safari and click on fullscreen this white bar appears on the right side. I've tried clearing the cache but that didn't work. Also tried quitting safari and restarting my computer but nothing worked.

Also checked on other browsers like google chrome and it doesn't happen there, so I don't really know what its wrong with safari...

Can anyone help me?

MacBook Air 13", 10.13

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 3:43 AM

18 replies

Feb 8, 2019 2:19 AM in response to aramh

I have collected more reports about this problem.

Guys, please file bugs, if you don't, this won't get fixed.

Feb 1, 2019 8:04 AM in response to aramh

Since, yesterday, January 31st 2019, I can't watch full screen youtube videos in Safari. In full screen mode, the videos render on only the left part of the screen. The right part of the screen, and the lower part of the screen are white.

I filed Apple bug 47733671 for this. Please file more bugs at the Apple Bug Tracker and reference this bug number!

Summary:

I can't reenter full screen mode on youtube videos viewed in Safari after I exited it once.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Go to youtube.com
  2. Click on any video.
  3. Click on the "full screen" button, or press the 'f' key.
  4. Exit full screen mode.
  5. Try to enter full screen mode again, like in step #3.

Expected Results:

I expect the video to be full screen.

Actual Results:

The video is not full screen after step #5. After step #3, the video is full screen, but it appears the video can be set to full screen only once.

Only a small portion of the screen is used. The rest is white. Here is an example of the problem, and here is another example. Note that that is a screenshot of the entire screen. I can see the extra black and white portions.

If I refresh the Safari tab, the behavior persists.

If I create a new Safari window, the behavior resets, and I can view full screen youtube videos, but again, only once.

I first noticed this problem yesterday, on January 31st 2019.

Any other video site (apart from youtube) works fine. Also Chrome and Firefox work fine.

Version/Build:

The version of macOS doesn't seem to matter, I tested macOS 10.13.6 (17G65) and macOS 10.14.2 (18C54).

The version of Safari matters:

Not working:

• Safari Version 12.0 (13606.2.11)
  • Safari Version 12.0.2 (14606.3.4)
  • Safari Beta Version 12.1 (13607.1.22.1)
  • Safari Technology Preview Release 65 (Safari 12.1, WebKit 13607.1.5.2)
  • Safari Technology Preview Release 74 (Safari 12.2, WebKit 14608.1.1.1)

Working:

• Safari Version 11.1.2 (13605.3.8)

Configuration:

This behavior was reproduced on multiple computers, desktop and laptops.

Additional information:

It appears the smaller image I see instead of full screen has the same size as the original Safari window. That got me thinking, so I enlarged the Safari window to test this hypothesis. It appears that if the Safari window is large enough, the problem disappears.

There's a problem even without full screen though. It appears that sometimes youtube doesn't resize. This correlates 1:1 to the full screen problem. If youtube resizes, full screen works, if youtube doesn't resize, full screen mode fails.

It appears that on my iMac 2834 pixels wide is already too small. This value depends on the display used. On laptops, it's lower.

Another way to see the problem is this. IFF the Safari window is less wide than some number of pixels, after you have entered full screen and then exited it, youtube doesn't resize anymore as you change the dimensions of the Safari window.

On older Safari versions, where youtube works fine, this is how it works:

1. I click on full screen.
  2. The page becomes full screen, but the rendering is the same as when it was in window mode.
  3. After a very brief moment, the page re-renders, this time with the video occupying the entire screen.

It appears that on Safari version which do not work, step #3 doesn't happen. Window is stuck at step #2.

More reports of the same bug:

Please file more bugs at the Apple Bug Tracker and reference the bug number 47733671! This is how Apple prioritizes fixes, by the number of bug duplicates!

Jan 31, 2019 11:36 AM in response to morgana17

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Feb 3, 2019 11:28 AM in response to morgana17

I have exactly the same problem. But I´m not very hopeful it will get fixed. I have also the netlfix streching bug which is described in this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250133767

But Netflix is buggy on safari for a very long time and it isn´t fixed. so I´m in no hope. Tried Opera, everything there works fine. I´ll try that for the time being...bugfixing seems to be no longer a concern in the donout castle.

Feb 1, 2019 7:29 AM in response to morgana17

I have the same problem, I filed Apple bug 47733671 about this.

Affected Safari versions:

Not working:

• Safari Version 12.0 (13606.2.11)
  • Safari Version 12.0.2 (14606.3.4)
  • Safari Beta Version 12.1 (13607.1.22.1)
  • Safari Technology Preview Release 65 (Safari 12.1, WebKit 13607.1.5.2)
  • Safari Technology Preview Release 74 (Safari 12.2, WebKit 14608.1.1.1)

Working:

• Safari Version 11.1.2 (13605.3.8)

Please file more bugs at the Apple Bug Tracker and reference bug 47733671.

Fullscreen on youtube appears with a white board on the right side

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.