Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gray boxes in iTunes store - Windows

When I launch iTunes under a particular user logon on a Windows PC, I see grey boxes in the store where the cover art would be. This does not occur on another user logon on that same PC. So ... I assume this is a user specific / profile issue. Any idea how to get the pictures to load under this user logon?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 2, 2019 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2019 12:32 PM

Don't get me wrong i'm glad the OP is satisfied with the other user "solutions", and although i know perfectly this is not my thread i want to mention those are not solutions but "patches" the issue here is Apple and it is Apple the one that should fix this, things were fine before May.

This issue is not new it has happened many times over and over again in the past:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8339815

Event the communities forums are a mess right now, they're modifying stuff and they are pretty slow.

Guess i'm gonna open my own thread this is still definitely "Not" fixed.

156 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2019 12:32 PM in response to WebbPresence

Don't get me wrong i'm glad the OP is satisfied with the other user "solutions", and although i know perfectly this is not my thread i want to mention those are not solutions but "patches" the issue here is Apple and it is Apple the one that should fix this, things were fine before May.

This issue is not new it has happened many times over and over again in the past:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8339815

Event the communities forums are a mess right now, they're modifying stuff and they are pretty slow.

Guess i'm gonna open my own thread this is still definitely "Not" fixed.

May 2, 2019 7:52 PM in response to WebbPresence

Then how do you explain both of us having the same issue at the same time? just coincidence? i don't think so.

Issue is just on main page store and perhaps it is happening at certain display resolutions only, i don't know.

Personally i stopped worrying when i found your thread, then i checked on my second PC and that pretty much told me i'm not an isolate issue or my pc.

I'll just wait till Apple solves it, i know it is not widespread either i'm running windows 7 64 bits and last iTunes version, problem started to happen pretty much since today as far as i remember.

My security suite? i just disabled it issue remains...

May 3, 2019 4:38 AM in response to psikofunkster

Since I rock a 4096x2160 monitor, I run my Windows scaling at 150%. This workaround has worked for me since I started seeing this on May 1. Go to your iTunes.exe file, right click and select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab and the Change high DPI settings button. In the High DPI scaling override, check the box to Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: and choose either System or System (Enhanced).

Also reducing the Windows scaling to 100% has also worked for me to fix this issue, but it is simply too small for me to work with.

May 15, 2019 12:47 PM in response to WebbPresence

I want to add my issue to the list of users affected by this.

Tried all options suggestion, such as adjusting scaling and the High DPI Settings and it isn't resolved. Running the Windows Store version of iTunes will try the other version as well, but yeah this is on Apple. Apple needs to support high DPI monitors in Windows not just their Retina Displays.

May 29, 2020 1:15 PM in response to LHealey0

Hi LHealy0:

Did you try the 03-May-2019 workaround posted in this thread by okcameradude at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250342472?answerId=250648991022#250648991022 ? Changing those High DPI settings in my iTunes.exe properties fixed the problem and I can now see album artwork displayed correctly in the iTunes Store.

Here's an image of my current High DPI settings for the iTunes.exe file located in C:\Program Files\iTunes:

----------------

Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.778 * 64-bit iTunes v12.10.7.3

May 17, 2019 5:22 PM in response to Pinot2016

Pinot2016 wrote:

This was helpful and hopeful. But can you please tell me where I find my itunes.exe file. I looked in my Music/itunes folder and could not find it. Much thanks!

Normally in C:\Program Files\iTunes. See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates - Apple Community for locations of the iTunes.exe and other information.

tt2

May 22, 2019 10:50 AM in response to psikofunkster

No, it's literally on the iTunes website.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Instead of clicking the big "get it from Microsoft" button, right below that is a "Looking for other versions?" section with a link for Windows. When you click it, you can choose 64 bit or 32 bit and get a direct download.

It's not hidden, it's not discontinued. It just takes the smallest tiniest bit of looking instead of clicking on the very first thing that loads on a webpage.

Sep 29, 2019 12:55 PM in response to okcameradude

This step mentioned above from okcameradudue worked for me perfectly on Windows 10 64-bit on my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen after selecting Properties on iTunes.exe "Select the Compatibility tab and the Change high DPI settings button. In the High DPI scaling override, check the box to Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: and choose either System or System (Enhanced)"

Jun 24, 2020 7:06 PM in response to lmacri

I tried the exact same setting. It did not work for me. Only the 100% scaling works, but it renders the characters to be too small on my screen. Interestingly, the Apple Music within iTunes can display artwork on album and song level (see attached photos). It is obvious that Apple can fix it, but it just isn't its priority.

Apple Music (Album level)

Apple Music (song level)

May 14, 2019 5:23 PM in response to okcameradude

That worked for me on the PC that has iTunes downloaded from the Apple site, but that's not an option on the other PC which has iTunes installed from the Windows Store. That version is only installed because of a previous issue which Apple Support told me to troubleshoot by installing it instead, then afterwards told me that once you go to the Windows Store version you can't actually go back to the site download.

I haven't tested that, but before I go through the entire uninstall/reinstall just to potentially fail, any ideas on how to do this same kind of change for a Windows Store installed instance of iTunes?

Thanks!

May 14, 2019 6:12 PM in response to WebbPresence

I'm having this same issue, too. I read below, about changing the Window scaling to 100% (vs my default 125%). I did that, and that did fix the problem, but now things are too small and there's too much empty space on the sides for my liking. Any news on whether this is an issue with the iTunes store itself?

May 18, 2019 12:35 PM in response to turingtest2

On my computer iTunes.exe is in C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\

WindowsApps is a hidden folder. If you check "Hidden Items" in the View menu, you will see the folder, but you cannot access it. I got to iTunes.exe by going to ProgramFiles and searching the folder for iTunes.exe. When it showed in the search results list, I right clicked it and chose "Open file location". That was the only way I could access it. (Command prompt run as administrator did not work for me.) Still, the recommended actions above did not solve the problem. Neither did changing the scaling in Display Preference. Still have grey rectangles. Why are so many things screwed up with computers these days? Example: Background picture will not show in tablet mode since last Windows 10 update. Is Microsoft a second-rate company now with mediocre programmers? Is Apple incapable of providing software that works properly? I'm sick of it.

Gray boxes in iTunes store - Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.