Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro STOPPED CHARGING after upgrading to Catalina 10.15.5

URGENT help is needed! My Macbook Pro (13', 2019, 2 ports) STOPPED CHARGING after upgrading to Catalina 10.15.5 (19F96). I'm using the default charger and cable, yet the battery keeps depleting! The top left battery icon shows as if the battery was charging, yet when I click on it, it says "Battery is not charging".

I keep disconnecting-reconnecting the charger, and also tried to change the cable, to no avail. The charger worked without any issue before updating to 10.15.5.

I am seriously worried my laptop is going to be bricked if I won't be able to download the fix on it before the battery runs out of juice. Please bring this post to the attention of Apple representatives immediately.

Posted on May 29, 2020 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2020 10:56 AM

PPT006

The battery requires service. The battery is not functioning normally, though you may not notice a change in its behavior or the amount of charge it holds. You can continue to use your battery before it’s checked without harming your computer.

Contact Apple or take your computer to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store to determine which service and support options are available.

Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes - Apple Support

Similar questions

101 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2020 10:56 AM in response to itfiend

PPT006

The battery requires service. The battery is not functioning normally, though you may not notice a change in its behavior or the amount of charge it holds. You can continue to use your battery before it’s checked without harming your computer.

Contact Apple or take your computer to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store to determine which service and support options are available.

Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes - Apple Support

May 31, 2020 1:19 PM in response to itfiend

Of course it had to do with the update.

Sorry for not being politically correct but I warned about this in this thread and I was still criticized.

My advice to you is, NEVER immediately install any Apple update that says it fixes or improves the battery. Wait at least 1 month. It has been like this for the past 15 years. Apple has always had a difficult relationship with batteries.

My 2019 Macbookpro 13" fortunately did not had any problems with this update because I turned off this crappy battery health function just in time. There are applications that do this much better, like ALdente, just look for it.

Aug 22, 2020 12:42 PM in response to gaichuang

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251706202

Like I said in my post the other day, I have tried 6 things which I read in other post which allegedly would cure the problem for me, including

1) Turn off the battery health management function.

2) Reset the SMC, NVRAM, PRAM

3) Replaced the old charger and cable with a brand new set

4) Downgrade the OS to Mojave

5) Upgrade the OS to Catalina 10.15.6

6) Turn on the autoupdate and wait for some secret updates which suppose to cure the issue as suggested in some posts.

So far none of them works. I did manage to get charged at times by switching the charging ports, but this annoying issue persists.

Jun 18, 2020 2:43 PM in response to gyepi

I have the exact same problem - 2017 MacBook Pro 13". Updated to 10.15.5, battery stopped charging. It will run as long as it's plugged in, but won't charge past 1%. Kinda defeats the purpose of being portable.

Battery health reports battery health as "Normal".

I've tried the following, nothing has worked:

• Reset SMC
  • Reset PRAM/VRAM
  • Wiped HDD and re-installed MacOS 10.15.5 from fresh download
  • Turning off battery health management
  • I've tried 3 different power adapters (all 3 worked prior to the update and still work on my wife's 2020 MBP that was *not* updated to 10.15.5)
  • Shutting down and leaving plugged in to see if it charges
  • Restarting in safe mode to see if it charges
  • Restarting in recovery mode to see if it charges

This has to be a problem in the update.

Jun 20, 2020 9:57 AM in response to itfiend

I am a 10.14.6 user that has skipped upgrading to 10.15 due to unfavorable reports. It may be of interest that I have similar charging issues on my 2018 MBPro13" with system 10.14.6. (purch 1/19).

When using on 100% charge at any random time the battery charge indicator will show the charge declining with the indicator blacked out. The System Report (power) states connected:yes and charging:no. It continues to drop charge to 91% and then changes to the white indicator and recharges to 100% and System Report (power) states connected:yes and charging:yes. I have original and spare adaptors with same results. Turning charging on/off and resets do not seem to have any effect. I have Apple Care so I hope for a solution before 1/22.

Nov 4, 2020 4:39 AM in response to gyepi

I upgraded to Catalina last night and now my battery is bricked. The Battery Information below is from my work MacBook, but my personal MacBook says "Charge Remaining (mAh): 0, Fully Charged: Yes, Charging: No". So it has zero charge, yet it's fully charged.

The battery was working just fine before the upgrade. I have tried to reboot, reseting SMC, etc. I can only get it to boot up unplugging the charger and plugging it back in - then it will run for awhile.

May 29, 2020 3:25 AM in response to gyepi

Note that turning off "Battery health management" under Energy Saver / Battery health does not help either! I tried restarting the laptop etc., to no avail - when the charger is plugged in, the laptop recognizes this via the charging icon, but it does not charge the battery any more!

May 29, 2020 5:47 AM in response to gyepi

I have the same problem. I clicked “install” in software update last night and walked away. When I came back this morning my MacBook Pro is dead. Won’t charge with multiple ports/chargers tried. I called support and did the various keyboard combos to try to trick it into booting but to no avail. I can’t get in for service until the end of next week, hope there is a fix before then

May 29, 2020 7:26 AM in response to gyepi

Hi,

I have suffered this problem on more than one occasion (and two), but with versions prior to 10.15.5. In different versions.

It normally starts charging by reconnecting the cable again (but not always at the first reconnection), but sometimes it has reached 0% of charge.

Once it ran out of battery and stopped completely, it started charging by leaving it connected to electricity for a while.

I also need to know what the reason is, in case the problem worsens in version 10.15.5.

May 31, 2020 11:01 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Well yes I can use google just fine to find the fault code. But this happened at the point of upgrade to me and to others in an update that changes the way macOS deals with batteries. Bit of a coincidence no?

Coconut battery shows that the capacity of the battery is still 90+% of original life, but amperage in power in control panel is showing as 0. Charger is detected, and battery is detected but no charging is happening. 

Jun 1, 2020 5:16 AM in response to manzeel

I left my 2018 15" MacBook Pro plugged in all weekend hoping to hit this same resolution, but had no luck.

I charge & display video through the same thunderbolt cable. When plugged into the port I normally use, nothing happens at all. When plugged into a different port, I still can't use my computer, but my monitor constantly cycles through power saving mode and "no usb-c signal", so I know something is happening, I just have no way to identify what it is.

Jun 1, 2020 5:38 AM in response to krewenki

I've tried leaving unplugged overnight then plugging in, leaving plugged in and on, and leaving plugged in but in sleep and different ports (mine is the 4-port) but no difference. I've got a dell 27" which shows as a 90w charger and I can get video signal through that and it will stay on, but nothing charges the battery anymore. I've also tried with battery management on and off.

Macbook Pro STOPPED CHARGING after upgrading to Catalina 10.15.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.