Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 6 wallet problem

The wallet app on my watch 6 is crashing when I use any store card with barcode.

I used wallet on my watch (series 6 with ios7.0.2) to buy a starbucks coffee. I opened the starbucks card from the wallet on the watch and used the bar code to buy a coffee. Closed the wallet app. Now the wallet will not open correctly with a double tap of the side button. I get a black screen. I tried to open the wallet app with the Icon and I still get black screen with the words "wallet" on top left and the time on top right.

After updating my fiancee's watch 3 with the latest software ios 7.0.2. we get the same errors.

Has anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 1:44 PM

Similar questions

55 replies

Oct 22, 2020 6:44 PM in response to wildor

Hello wildor,

It sounds like your Apple Watch Wallet isn't working with store cards, specifically Starbucks. Have you tried any other store cards to see if it is only related to the store?

Have you also tried using your iPhone to see if the behavior is the same on the phone? Also take a look at this for more information:

How to use Wallet on your iPhone, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Regards.

Oct 29, 2020 8:51 AM in response to wildor

This started with the update to watchOS 7.0.2. It's not just my watch 6 but also my fiancee's watch 3 when she updated to watckos 7.0.2 same problem. Can someone try to use a store app with barcode like starbucks to reproduce this problem. You don't even have to scan to barcode, jusy display it then cancell out and try to open wallet again. I get a black screen.

Oct 29, 2020 9:07 AM in response to wildor

I just did what you asked. I opened Wallet on my Series 6 Watch, then opened my Starbucks card. Since I'm sitting at home, I couldn't scan it, but I closed it as you said, then pressed the Digital Crown to close Wallet. I double-tapped the power button to open Wallet again and it worked just fine. I tried this with my Walgreens card as well and it still worked fine, no black screen, the Wallet opened.

Oct 29, 2020 4:31 PM in response to wildor

Yes, I am on watchOS 7.0.2. It has been working since I got the Watch, and updated it as well. I use Apple Pay a great deal with the current pandemic, so I'm constantly using it either on my iPhone or Watch. Usually the iPhone in a drive-up, and the Watch when in the store. Using the Watch usually gets me all sorts of comments.

Nov 4, 2020 10:21 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I tried restoring to factory setting, then adding everything fron scratch. still have problem. I went to AppleStore and they gave me a new watch (I only had mine for a month). When I got it home and and update apps and wallet, still have problem!!! The new watch was still on watchos 7.0. so I updated to 7.0.2. still problem. Maybe because the watch wallet and iphone wallet are connected the problem might be in the iphone? This is one tough problem to solve. I may have to reset iphone to factory setting and re-pair watch and phone. ugh

Nov 17, 2020 6:53 AM in response to newb_bar

Sorry to hear you have same problem, but at least I know it's not just me.

I also haven't factory reset my phone yet.

The only way I can fix it is to hard reset my watch (hold crown and side button at same time until apple logo comes up)

I'm going to go to Genius Bar at Apple store again to see what the think. I'll keep you informed.

Nov 18, 2020 2:47 PM in response to wildor

Hallelujah! I fix the wallet issue. I factory reset my iphone and didn't back up from existing backup. I also reset apple watch to factory.

When I went into wallet on iphone there were two old coupons still in the wallet , I deleted them , then added credit cards and starbuck store card to iphone and watch. All is back to normal. Now I have to add all my 100+ apps back onto the iphone manually. ugh. I may look into getting software that will allow me to selective add apps etc back onto iphone.

Dec 16, 2020 9:51 AM in response to wildor

Yes. I tried rebooting the watch and double tapped the power button, it worked for the credit/debit cards. But after using Starbucks or Tim Hortons loyalty cards (barcode), it would give me the black screen (sometimes would show/flash "hold near reader"). Once that happens, I cannot access my credit/debit cards anymore. I have to reboot the watch again to access them. I also tried removing all the loyalty cards I have in the wallet (starbucks, tim hortons, air miles, etc.), it works perfectly. But then, those cards will be deleted from your phone as well.

I reinstalled those loyalty cards back and it gave me the same issue so I ended up deleting them again. Hopefully this will be resolved soon on the watch because it works fine using my phone.

Jan 3, 2021 7:37 AM in response to wildor

I have the same black screen problem on my Apple Watch when using the alle wallet! I bought my watch 6 today and set up everything. The the Wallet didn’t work properly. Already signed out and sign in and reset my watch from factory setting. Updated to watchOS 7.2

only with the top line “hold near to reader” and time and nothing else.

any solution to this? Thanks so much.

sometimes I was really disappointed by apple products. 😔

Jan 13, 2021 12:24 PM in response to wildor

I'm having this issue also.

iPhone 14.3 and S6 cellular Watch OS 7.2

I have reset the watch a setup as new with the same result. The only way to stay functional is to remove my QR cards, AAA, Dave and busters, and Starbucks.

Which make it difficult to use the watch by itself, I do suggest that we all create a support ticket and reference this forum thread.

#togther

Apple Watch 6 wallet problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.