Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! CleanMyMac messed up my computer.

I recently downloaded CleanMyMac but it mucked up my Microsoft Office 11 software (purchased with my Mac 11 years ago)

Now I don't have access to any of my files. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc...

The Excel icon has completely disappeared.

What can I do to fix this?

I also cannot back up as ICloud doesnt seem to work and I don't have compatible drive with TimeMachine.

If I can find my original disks for Office, can I just reinstall the old office?

I am not sure what else to do.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 6:57 PM

Stephani01 Said:

"HELP! CleanMyMac messed up my computer. [...]If I can find my original disks for Office, can I just reinstall the old office?"

-------

As for Microsoft Office:

Perform a Chat Session with Microsoft:

Microsoft's licenses goes by the device. So, if you end up needing to reregister Office, chat with Microsoft about this. Go Here: Contact Us - Virtual Agent - Microsoft Support

Similar questions

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 6:57 PM in response to Stephani01

Stephani01 Said:

"HELP! CleanMyMac messed up my computer. [...]If I can find my original disks for Office, can I just reinstall the old office?"

-------

As for Microsoft Office:

Perform a Chat Session with Microsoft:

Microsoft's licenses goes by the device. So, if you end up needing to reregister Office, chat with Microsoft about this. Go Here: Contact Us - Virtual Agent - Microsoft Support

Aug 25, 2021 12:31 PM in response to Stephani_B

Besides only 4 GB pf RAM & a failing Hard Drive, I'd uninstall Trusteer, then...

Delete these files & restart...

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.aviator.agent.plist

On the second one...

~ tilde indicates  your home folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Aug 24, 2021 5:20 PM in response to Stephani_B

Myself I wouldn't get the new M1 Macs until they straighten out a few problems, but if you want we can investigate why your current one is slow...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part of the above is between the quote marks...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

If you have problems with pastebin... Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jul 18, 2021 6:48 PM in response to Stephani01

First thing to do is uninstall CleanMyMac. Use the uninstaller if it came with one, otherwise visit their website for instructions.

Next, you’ll likely have to reinstall the OS from a Recovery restart. Don’t erase or repartition your drive, just reinstall the OS.

Finally, reinstall your apps from their install disks and with your key codes.

Good luck.

Jul 18, 2021 6:49 PM in response to Stephani01

The biggest issue is that you don't really know what that software did to your computer. Yes, you could try reinstalling Office with the discs you have. It would be best to restore the computer completely from a backup.

I'd be more concerned that you're attempting to reinstall obsolete software on a (likely) obsolete device. I'd be sure to back up all of your important files before you do anything.

Aug 28, 2021 10:42 AM in response to Stephani_B

Stephani_B wrote:

Hi. Didnt think I would reach out this soon. But I did contact a computer place for an upgrade on those items. They said I'm looking at around $500 minimum and that because so old they didnt think they could re-install OS.

They suggested I get a refurbished model 2015 or later. What do you think?

I would not go with a 2015 Mac, within 2 years from now Apple will designate it as "obsolete."

$500 seems high for what is involved here for the upgrades you have in mind for your 2010 unit. I recently upgraded a 2013 Macbook Air with a new SSD and a new battery. The repair shop had me order the parts myself, then I brought them in and they charged $59 for the work and time to replace the existing internal drive and the battery. When the shop orders the parts they mark them up notably and it also takes longer. I had my parts from OWC within 2 days and the upgrade took the shop less than 1 hour.

Your memory for an upgrade would cost about $50 and the new SSD maybe ~ $100. So the total cost should be less than one-half what you mentioned. If you ordered the parts yourself and brought them to the shop.

But personally, I would not upgrade a 2010 Macbook Pro because its USB ports are USB 2, which are very slow. I refurbished our 2013 Macbook Air because it already had 8 GB memory (the bare minimum one needs nowadays) and it has USB 3 ports so it is actually usable still. Also your 2010 model cannot go past High Sierra, while the 2013 model can go to Big Sur. With the older MacOS you will start to find some sites and software no longer can be used. Keep in mind that 2010 is 11 years old and other elements in the hardware are wearing out no doubt.

The new M1 Macbook Airs are under $1000 (US $) and come with 8 GB memory and 256 GB SSD.

HELP! CleanMyMac messed up my computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.