Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail is slow since updating to iOS 15

What is causing email to download so slowly that it has virtually stopped since updating to iOS 15?

iPhone SE

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 4:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 4:41 PM

The fix for me was disabling Protect Mail Activity. Settings/Mail/Privacy Protection/ and turn off Protect Mail Activity and Hide IP address. Now checking Mail in the app works as fast as it did in ios14.

When I updated to Ios15 one of the options I remember getting prompted for was more privacy around Mail so I said yes. It works so well apparently you can’t check or send gmail accounts in a reasonable time frame with the iOS mail app.

I tried most of the other things in this thread before hand and nothing worked. Try turning off that new feature for now and see if things start working better.

180 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 4:41 PM in response to D C Mellor

The fix for me was disabling Protect Mail Activity. Settings/Mail/Privacy Protection/ and turn off Protect Mail Activity and Hide IP address. Now checking Mail in the app works as fast as it did in ios14.

When I updated to Ios15 one of the options I remember getting prompted for was more privacy around Mail so I said yes. It works so well apparently you can’t check or send gmail accounts in a reasonable time frame with the iOS mail app.

I tried most of the other things in this thread before hand and nothing worked. Try turning off that new feature for now and see if things start working better.

Sep 30, 2021 6:20 AM in response to D C Mellor

D C Mellor Said:

"I do not feel I’ve received any helpful advice from Apple here."

-------

Correct. You have not you have received any helpful advice from Apple here. These are user-to-user forums. We are all volunteers. It's all based on prior experiences on troubleshooting this. So, if you wish to speak with Apple Support, do so using this info:

Apple Contact Info:

Why the Wait:

Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Sep 22, 2021 3:59 PM in response to PIguaran

PIguaran Said:

"I have done this multiple times and it does not resolve the issue."

-------

Thank you for the update.

Clear Space:

If there is little storage left, then that would slow things down. So, see if you need to clear some internal space. Try clearing internal storage though use of the following:

What Space to Clear:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also..

C. Clear "Other":

Clear the storages named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use. So, clearing other may be the way to go about this, as it would be performs through use of a computer.

Sep 30, 2021 5:32 AM in response to jaybird0029

jaybird0029 Said:

"I have tried all of the solutions above. Mail is still extremely slow to load on my iphone Xs after update to ios 15. This is my work phone and i need it to load email quickly like it did the minute before i updated to ios. This has to be a known issue. What is the solution please? If there is none, then please let me know how to revert back to the previous version of ios which worked just fine for me."

-------

Two Things:

A. Cool Down the iPhone:

For a few hours, perform the following...

• Power Off: the iPhone for a bit
  • Unplug: any Cables
  • Place it Atop: Laptop Cooler
  • Keep it in: an open space
  • Keep it Out of: direct sunlight

and...

B. Give Apple Feedback:

If would probably after they get enough reports of it occurring.

So, do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know what exactly is occurring.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when you came across this issue, and how you have troubleshot it thus far.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Sep 30, 2021 6:09 AM in response to TheLittles

I do not feel I’ve received any helpful advice from Apple here. It is clearly an issue since the changes of iOS 15. While email is now functioning (after being near-stopped during what appeared as an initial re-downloading of all mail) it is still slow, like as if everyone’s mail is having to cross the Atlantic and back again sort-of slow!

Apr 20, 2022 12:39 PM in response to branislav50

I have the same issue, thought it was my email provider, but recently have tried a few things and have noticed the following :-

1. I turned off all settings below ‘Settings’ - ‘Mail’ - ‘Privacy Protection’ and this made no difference.
  2. If I check email on a non-Apple program such as Outlook it is fine.
  3. My email tends to work fine for the first 3-4 emails but then grinds to a halt on the 5-6th email saying “Loading” for about 20 seconds, this can be on emails I’ve previously already read also.
  4. If whilst an email says “Loading” if I disconnect WiFi or if already disconnected reconnect it, the changing of the network makes my email kick in again for 3-4 emails, but then stops again.
  5. If I swipe up and end the ‘Mail’ program and then reload it, it works again for a while, but again after reading a few emails I get stuck on “Loading’ again.
  6. Having to do the change network fix or end Mail is not a workable solution.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB, 165GB of free space. My iPad Pro M1 does exactly the same. Both are on the latest IOS version, 15.4.1 currently.. My email is connecting via SMTP. This issue is very frustrating, I rely on my email constantly..

Oct 20, 2021 2:25 PM in response to Peabarter

Peabarter Said:

"I switched to the gmail app. Problem solved. Let me know when apple gets their act together and I may switch back assuming I grow attached to the gmail app."

-------

Give Apple Feedback:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know how gmail is a bit better.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on how things are going competitively to gmail.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Sep 30, 2021 4:31 AM in response to PIguaran

I have tried all of the solutions above. Mail is still extremely slow to load on my iphone Xs after update to ios 15. This is my work phone and i need it to load email quickly like it did the minute before i updated to ios. This has to be a known issue. What is the solution please? If there is none, then please let me know how to revert back to the previous version of ios which worked just fine for me.

May 31, 2022 7:42 AM in response to ZYMrM

I am not sure why Apple has not provided helpful information; however, I followed someone’s suggestion after having the same problem since install of IOS15 and following everyone’s resolve by backing up my iPad to the cloud following these steps.

1. go to ‘settings’
  2. go to ‘general’
  3. click on ‘Transfer or Reset iPad’
  4. click on ‘Reset’
  5. Restore from iCloud backup
  6. or by following https://www.itproportal.com/features/how-to-restore-a-backup-from-icloud/ This is an extremely useful post.

Good Luck, and I hope this is helpful.

Jun 4, 2022 9:40 PM in response to Trojie27

I was annoyed with the same dilemma for months. This worked for me, as another user suggested.

1. Delete all mail accounts (hopefully you know your password or can find them in the password listing under settings.
  2. Back up your iPad to the cloud.
  3. Reset the iPad to original, as though you were going to start with a new iPad. (When you open settings, there is a search at the top directly under the Settings title; type in Reset, and click on the first link that appears). Power down, and restart.
  4. Restore your backup from iCloud.
  5. Reinstate your email accounts. All of your mail will come back.
  6. ‘Best of Luck.

Nov 11, 2021 5:27 PM in response to Shookies

Replying to myself, with additional info. You might need to also reset your network settings after disabling the Protect Mail Activity and Hide My IP.

Settings/General/Transfer or reset iPhone/reset/reset network settings.

if you look at the Protect Mail activity description it says it’s using a multiple proxies. Then add Hide My IP and now you seemingly have put a bunch of hops and relays in between yourself and your email and then hid your IP so if it could get to you after all that, you are still hiding from it.

The features sound good and cool and it would be great if they worked (and maybe there is some Apple Techno Magic they do to make it all work some how), but I think if you want speed, you can’t turn on all the blocks/hides/reroutes just yet and expect it to work like it did before.

Mail is slow since updating to iOS 15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.