Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro 2 case tracking not working.

I recently got the new AirPods Pro 2 and the tracking for the case isn’t working. It doesn’t even show up on my find my app. I have the iphoen xs max, could that be the reason why it’s not working? I don’t have the money to buy a new phone though.

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 5:50 AM

Hi Chris,

I kind of have the same problem. I have a Iphone 13 pro max.

My phone is fully up to date, with all the latest software updates.

I just got the airpods pro2.

But no matter how many times i have tried to rest my airpods. Or even turn my phone on and off.

I am unable to find the case in the find my devices app. it shows me the airpods but not the case.

Is there anything I can do?

Nothing online seems to talk about the case not showing up as if its a given and no one els has this issue.

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2022 5:50 AM in response to Chris_D13

Hi Chris,

I kind of have the same problem. I have a Iphone 13 pro max.

My phone is fully up to date, with all the latest software updates.

I just got the airpods pro2.

But no matter how many times i have tried to rest my airpods. Or even turn my phone on and off.

I am unable to find the case in the find my devices app. it shows me the airpods but not the case.

Is there anything I can do?

Nothing online seems to talk about the case not showing up as if its a given and no one els has this issue.

Jul 14, 2023 9:56 AM in response to Roots0145

Don't know if this will help others but apple support helped me get mine going again.

This is what we did:

Went into settings > bluetooth > airpods pro and clicked the info button. Then "forget this device"

Went to setting > my name (at top) > Find my > Find my iphone > then turned off "find my iphone".

Waited one minute. Turned "find my iphone back on".

Grabbed the air pods case, opened it and held the button on the back for 10 or so seconds to enter pairing mode, and then followed to instructions on the screen to confirm pairing and then it worked.

Again, my problem might be different from others; but this seemed to work for me.

Feb 15, 2023 4:36 PM in response to Chris_D13

I have 16.1 installed. My phone said it couldn't connect to my airpods for a week. I tried from my iMac too. Same thing, but iMac told me a day earlier and 20 miles difference in location for 'last location'

I tried playing a sound, locating, etc. Nothing worked. Neither my iMac or my iPhone could connect to the airpods. I finally found them in the bottom of my purse. I thought they must be dead, but they weren't, the airPods were at 100% and the case at 93% charge. Once I opened the case, my iPhone could connect and play a sound etc.

This is completely worthless. How can I open the **** case if I don't know where they are?

There must be some fix for this? I've tried the privacy setting 'while using' suggestion. My airpods will not connect to my iPhone unless the case is open. I have my iPhone sitting next to my closed airPods case that are plugged into my iMac right now they are all within 6" of each other and I'm attempting to play a sound and am getting the following notification:

Attempting to Connect...

Find My will keep searching in the background for the next few minutes. A sound will be played if you device connects to it.

Anyone else having this issue or have fixed this issue?

Do I have to glue an Air Tag to my case? :/

Dec 6, 2022 1:35 PM in response to Roots0145

Hi Roots0145,

iOS 16 is required to use Find My with your AirPods. Here's some information from the Turn on the Find My network page we think will be helpful:

1. Wear your AirPods, and make sure they’re connected to your device.
2. Go to Settings , then tap the name of your AirPods near the top of the screen.
3. Scroll down, then turn on Find My Network.

We hope this resolves things for you.

Take care.

May 9, 2023 7:09 AM in response to Roots0145

I had a full on conversation regarding this issue with Apple Technical, Basically told them I’m not the only one having this issue as lots of forums out there with the exact same issue anyways did everything no fix. I was on the phone for +2 hours. They passed this onto their other technical engineers who can also take up to 7-14 days but not guaranteed a fix by then. Luckily for me I bought mine two days ago so got them replaced in the end because I didn’t want to wait 7-14 days. My replacement AirPod Pros work perfectly. I don’t understand why apple hasn’t fixed the issue sooner as we’re now in May 23 and the issue has now been going on since September 22 (8 months) The Apple Store already knew the issue straight away when I told him. Be interesting to see if anyone has had a resolution with Apple. The tech advisor did tell me if It was her I be talking the AirPod pros back to get them replaced.

Jul 24, 2023 5:13 AM in response to Fappy

I fixed the problem :)

I removed all "find my" icloud data from my iPhone and reset the air pods to the factory settings.

After that I did connect them again and instead of my iphone my iPad said there was an incomplete setup. I clicked on the message and the find my app froze and crashed. After that I started the app again and everything was working fine... It's buggy as ****!

I think it would not have worked if I hadn't got an iPad.

Maybe this helps some of you guys.

Happy trying!

Jan 22, 2024 1:33 AM in response to Roots0145

I tried the best reply and at first it worked, but after a while the problem with the case not being found or able to play a sound on it returned. I noticed that the name of the AirPods Pro 2 changed after a while. Jelmer’s AirPods Pro became AirPods Pro again and the problem returned. So I tried removing the AirPods from Find My directly. I performed a reset and paired the AirPods as if they where new, and now the problems seem to have been resolved. I’m not convinced it will last forever 😆 but it has been working better than ever.

Mar 20, 2023 11:00 AM in response to Roots0145

I have the same issue with my partner `find my` not showing the case and showing just the AirPods.

It was connected for the first time with the iPhone 12 mini, and the same AirPods Pro 2 model and version of the AirPods case version working on my account. I tried to connect to my partner AirPods and it connected it to my iPhone pro 13 for my surprise `find my` automatically registered them as my device and showed the case.

this really gets me mad because this is the second AirPods Pro 2 I but her after she lost the first one, now I understand why she couldn't find them.

Oct 2, 2023 7:16 PM in response to lazespud

Thank you very much for your post. I have the new pods with usb-c and the case wouldn’t connect. I’ve scrolled down trying every fix that didn’t work until I found yours. The only difference I used was a soft reset instead of turning the phone on/off and it worked perfectly. Thanks again you saved me at least a few hours on the phone and/or at trip to the 🍎 store.

Nov 29, 2023 1:05 AM in response to Roots0145

1. Turn off Low Power Mode.
  2. Reset > Privacy & Location Services > Find My app
  3. Toggle from "While Using" to off, wait 2 seconds, toggle back on
  4. Toggle from "Precise Locate" to off, wait 2 seconds, toggle back on
  5. Wait 20 - 30 seconds, then Open FindMy.app

My case had fallen out of my jacket pocket, and I was unable to find it, thinking it was in the car, however after some time, I had physically located the case sitting on the floor near my jacket. WITHOUT touching the AirPods Pro Case (Lightning version), I found this forum post, and read about resetting the Privacy and Location services.

The ear buds were at 18%, last time they were in the case was 4 or so hours ago. Once FindMy "polled the network" at which point, Find My did a new review of the surrounding items, and the Case showed up, even though the buds (both L and R) were sitting on my desk.

Another guess is that in Low Power mode, which both my iPhone and iPad were in, was delaying the FindMy updates from happening. The RESET of the Permissions for Privacy came from another post that I read.

The reset instructions above required NO restart from my iPhone.

Good luck.

AirPods Pro 2 case tracking not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.