Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple CarPlay not working with iPhone 15 (USB-C issue?)

My vehicle only has a USB adapter to connect to my stereo to enable Apple CarPlay. Now that I'm using a USB to USB-C cable, Apple CarPlay no longer works with the iPhone 15. Any ideas on how to address this? Should I try different cables or is this more of a fundamental issue with the new iOS or iPhone 15?

iPhone 15

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 4:28 AM

There are a lot of us that its not working for. Supposedly its with Apple engineers. No mater how many cables are tried, it simply doesnt connect reliably. I have tried many variants from C-C and A-C. No dice on any.

115 replies

Oct 14, 2023 6:48 AM in response to MC10M

All - just following up on resolution here. It was the fact that the cable I was using wasn’t for data, only charging. I bought a Belkin USB-A to USB-C cable from Amazon and now my CarPlay is working. It just took a while for it to come in because everything was back ordered.

Thank you @lobsterghost1 and @Dogcow-Moof. Your direction helped me solve the issue.

Oct 20, 2023 9:16 AM in response to Bruce Baum

Before you connected your new iPhone, did you:

1. Have your infotainment system forget your previous iPhone (this will require you to pair it again, even if BT is working.
  2. Give your new iPhone a completely different name in Settings > General > About > Name than your previous iPhone.
  3. Force Restart your iPhone --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

I have a 2023 Genesis GV70 (two of them actually) and that's the first I do when I get a new iPhone and CarPlay is working flawlessly in both Genesis. One would have to believe Hyundai and Genesis use the same technologies as they're really the same company.

Also, read the suggested article at the top of this page from DogCow-Moof about the differences with USB C cables.

Oct 15, 2023 12:50 PM in response to QtrHorse

I also am having intermittent issues: sometimes my iPhone 15 Pro connects to CarPlay on my 2019 RAM Rebel truck and sometimes it doesn't. I am using a USB C cable and have tried other cables with same result. I have even had my phone connected with the cable and it was not working. Then suddenly after quite a while it connected to CarPlay and worked fine for a couple days. The next day when I connected it did not work?? Doesn't seem to be any logical reason why it works part of the time and doesn't work other times.

Sep 25, 2023 9:32 AM in response to MC10M

Many USB to USB-C cables and adapters support charging only, not data transfer, and data transfer is required for CarPlay.

Check with the manufacturer of the cable and/or its packaging to determine whether it is a charge-only cable or whether it is a data cable as well.

This is true for all cable manufacturers; for example, reliable cable company Anker sells both charge-only and full data cables.

Sep 25, 2023 9:35 AM in response to MC10M

Before I received my new iPhone I purchased a USB A to USB C cable and it works fine in my car.

Are you using a USB A to USB C cable? Did you have your car infotainment system forget your previous phone? Have you gone into Settings on your new iPhone > General > About > Name and give it a new name (not the same as the previous iPhone). This will have you approve using Apple CarPlay using the new iPhone through your Infotainment system.

FYI - this is the cable I bought and it works great : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3B73MWX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Feb 26, 2024 1:07 PM in response to Barbmdara

I was finally able to get my iphone 15 connected to apple play in my Ford. what i did:

1. made the car sync system forget my phone
  2. made my phone forget my car
  3. used an apple made cord
  4. plugged the cord into my phone
  5. turned the car on
  6. plugged the cord into the car

the car then asked to sync with my phone, i allowed it, then apple play connected.

its been working ok for a week. fingers crossed it continues to work.

Feb 3, 2024 2:20 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Let's not forget that 5G cells do not have the range of 4G nor are they as populated on cell towers - yet (regardless what the cell providers claim). Rural areas often drop the signals for CarPlay.

Be sure that as Lobsterghost1 says Settings Cellular, then Data Options, choose 5G Auto.

Proper cable- with no additional adapter and iOS 17.2 fixes the problem.

Jan 1, 2024 11:07 AM in response to Bay1955

They haven't eliminated USB A support for Car Play on iPhone 15 models. I have iPhone 15 Pro Max and I use a USB A to USB C cable which is 5A and MFi Certified, which means it was designed for iPhone and it works just fine in my 2023 Genesis GV70. Not ALL Cables will work with iPhone and CarPlay. Some cables are only 3A, which will only work with Samsung devices. And some cables don't transfer Data, they just charge.

Read this excellent user tip --> https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250007831

Oct 27, 2023 3:05 PM in response to Ralph DeMartino

If it worked once, it's more than likely the entertainment system.

Regardless, I recommend you (and others experiencing similar issues) open a case with Apple Support directly to further diagnose and track the issue.

Millions of users are not having issues, so it helps Apple to narrow down and diagnose issues with vehicles that are.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Oct 28, 2023 7:17 AM in response to Ralph DeMartino

This support page states to use a USB-A to C cable as an optionL About the USB-C to Lightning Adapter - Apple Support

"You can use the USB-C to Lightning Adapter with wired CarPlay in most vehicles. However, some combinations of adapters, cables, and vehicle entertainment systems might disrupt the wired CarPlay connection. In this situation or for cars that support only wired CarPlay, use a direct connection with a USB-A to USB-C cable, such as the Belkin BOOST↑Charge Pro Flex USB-A to USB-C Cable."

Apple CarPlay not working with iPhone 15 (USB-C issue?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.