Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

My iPhone 15 Pro has a black screen with a white Apple after updating to iOS 17.4.1

My phone automatically updated to the new IOS 17.4.1 last night and now it is just a black screen with the white apple. I have tried the up vol, down vol, and press and hold the lock screen button. Nothing happens, still black screen with white apple. Help please!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 8, 2024 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2024 7:18 AM

Too many people are having the same problem after the update. It's definitely the update.

18 replies

Apr 10, 2024 9:04 AM in response to SravanKrA

Although this may be true. Consider that it might be the update. Mine auto updated and now I have a locked screen that won't respond to touch. I cannot shut it down because the force shutdown function was removed on these phones. It won't respond to touch of any kind. It won't backup to anything because it is unresponsive to said touch. So now I have a phone with 15 or so alarms that keep going off every few minutes... sometimes multiple at the same timing. I can't adjust the volume so my day and everyone around me is full of alarms going off every nine minutes. I can't text, but texts come through. I can connect via Bluetooth, but those devices control nothing. Music doesn't play when I try. So basically I have an unresponsive black paperweight that makes a lot of noise every nine minutes.

How do we solve that problem?

Apr 20, 2024 2:16 AM in response to cptra

Just had the same issue, Apple should address this ASAP!

I had 2 friends encountering the issue recently, and now I got it... Went to the Apple Service Center and they told me the only way to fix this is to have a software reset which will delete all my data...

Have tried all the reboot stuff (volume up, down, and lock button), didn't work.

Currently updating my phone to iOS 17.4.1 through my MacBook. Hope it will fix it.

Please resolve this ASAP Apple, its an ongoing issue and we are not happy

Apr 10, 2024 9:30 PM in response to cptra

This page may be some help (thanks to MrBill3):

If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

If you can get back into your phone, so to speak, 9to5Mac reported that Apple released a new version of 17.4.1, but it was only available through a computer. On a Mac, plug the phone into the computer, open a Finder window, and select your iPhone in the side bar. If the side panel isn't showing, go to the View menu and click Show Side Bar. On older Macs you may have to use iTunes, but it is similar. On a Windows computer I believe you either open iTunes or the Apple Devices app, but I'm not familiar with that setup.

Anyway, once you have done that, there should be a "page" for your phone. Choose General from the top row, and there will be a Check for Update button. From there you should be able to update your phone the newer version of 17.4.1.

I updated "over the air" to 17.4.1 and didn't see any problems. But when I saw the article I updated again and my phone went through the whole process, which seems to indicate that this is a different update.

9to5Mac reports that the build number for the over-the-air update is 21E236, but the one through a computer is 21E237.

Apr 8, 2024 6:00 AM in response to cptra

It's not always the iOS update's fault!  Many things can cause phone problems.  If you tell people you think it's an iOS update, it might make it harder to fix or find a solution for the real issue.

Remember, the right question often leads to the solution!

iOS updates aim to enhance user experience, boost security, and fix bugs rather than disrupt core features. The majority of the issues after updates might stem from underlying, unmentioned factors. Updates won't typically alter personal data but may refine settings or features. Backup before major updates for safety. Review Apple's update details and backup advice for a smooth process.

Kindly consider checking your settings and addressing any device issues before attributing the issue to external factors. This could be a pure coincidence that the iOS update affected the iPhone functions.

Before initiating a standard iOS update, it's advisable to create a backup. Have you completed this step? If yes, proceed with the restoration from the backup.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

Apr 17, 2024 4:47 AM in response to cptra

when I woke up this morning, I picked up my phone to check the time and my iPhone was just a black screen - it wouldn't turn on. I tried the force reboot 4 different times before it would respond. This has never happened to my phone (13 pro max) in the last year and half. It finally responded the last time I tried. I'm beginning to think it might be the update as well....

My iPhone 15 Pro has a black screen with a white Apple after updating to iOS 17.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.