Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

After IOS 17.4.1 my battery drains fast and overheating

Hello, iPhone users and supporters! Two days ago, I got an iPhone that was running IOS 16, so there were no problems. As soon as I started looking at the phone, I saw that there was a new version and decided to install. Immediately after the update, the battery began to drop super fast, the device heats up, slowly charges. I've tried all the YouTube tricks to reduce battery drain but nothing helps. I went to two phone repair shops and they told me that the problem was with the update. I have an Iphone 12 MINI and XR, they are also running 17.4.1., but they don't have these problems. I'm asking for help! Are there others like me?

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 12:09 PM

What a load of BS. Sorry to say half my 8 floor building updated to iOS 17.4 and we are ALLLLLLL experiencing battery drain at unprecedented levels even while plugged into a charger. Stop the lies. Apple is doing this on purpose bc ppl holding on to their phones longer

12 replies

Apr 27, 2024 3:36 AM in response to yanislav128

It’s unquestionably the update. My 13 mini has been rock solid for years, with superb battery life. I upgraded to 17.4.1 yesterday, and the phone has overheated and died twice in 24 hours. Literally no other changes…no different apps, no different use patterns. Only 1 variable changed between yesterday (phone never ran battery fully dead, ever) and today (battery fully dead twice).

Apr 17, 2024 9:41 AM in response to yanislav128

It surely is not iOS 17.4.1 because...

I conducted a thorough search of this forum and uncovered numerous posts detailing similar issues across various iOS updates. This suggests that iOS updates may not consistently be the root cause. Below are a handful of examples extracted from the search results:

"After iOS 17.4.1" will be an addition to this list posted by you.

The links I've found suggest that the reason for battery drain may not be solely due to iOS updates, but rather, it could be influenced by how an iPhone is utilized.

iOS 16

iOS 15

iOS 14

My battery drains so fast since upgraded to iOS14, mine is 7 Plus 256GB

IOS14 Health app battery drain is significant

Battery is draining fast after iOS 14

iOS 13

iOS 13 draining my battery

Re: iOS 13.1.2 Battery Drain on iPhone

Re: iOS 13.2.3 iPhone Update – Severe Battery Drain

iOS 12

iOS 12 iPhone 6s battery drain

iPhone SE battery draining fast with iOS12

iOS 12 battery drain too painful

Apr 17, 2024 9:40 AM in response to yanislav128

It's not always the iOS update's fault!  Many things can cause phone problems.  If you tell people you think it's an iOS update, it might make it harder to fix or find a solution for the real issue.

Remember, the right question often leads to the solution!

iOS updates aim to enhance user experience, boost security, and fix bugs rather than disrupt core features. The majority of the issues after updates might stem from underlying, unmentioned factors. Updates won't typically alter personal data but may refine settings or features. Backup before major updates for safety. Review Apple's update details and backup advice for a smooth process.

Kindly consider checking your settings and addressing any device issues before attributing the issue to external factors. This could be a pure coincidence that the iOS update affected the iPhone functions.

Before initiating a standard iOS update, it's advisable to create a backup. Have you completed this step? If yes, proceed with the restoration from the backup.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

Apr 28, 2024 4:36 AM in response to yanislav128

Found a fix here that worked for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/1brpvki/is_anyone_elses_battery_draining_faster_since_ios/

There are 2 slightly different versions of 17.4.1, build 21E236 seems to be the problem. If you tether your phone to a Mac and install the update again (same version, 17.4.1), you’ll get build 21E237, which solved the problem for me. Battery use went back to normal, no more overheating, on an iPhone 13 mini.

Apple has instructions on tethering to install an update here: Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with the Finder – Apple Support (AU)

Note: If you don’t normally sync your phone with this computer, make sure not to do so when you do the update, as this may replace media on the phone with what’s on the computer.

Apr 21, 2024 10:38 AM in response to SyrianMonaLisa

my phone has been checked at two service centers and no one can find any hardware problems. Every tech tells me that the problem is mainly the new software. It is very easy to blame the owners of the iPhones, but I did not expect such a presentation from Apple...
I bought an iPhone 12 and I can't use it because it's constantly plugged into the charger. And iOS 16 I had no problems, Same phone…

Apr 30, 2024 4:52 AM in response to yanislav128

Lisa,

You are so so very right.

It really doesn't matter which iPhone you have this update has been giving this battery drainage issue. I have 13 Pro and the battery is at 97% health but as soon as I updated to this horrific update, I have to charge 3-4 times, whereas I used to only charge once in 2 days!!!

Did numerous restarts as I always do after updates to settle the new update down, but this is permanent even after almost a month of installing.

Don't know when Apple is going to come up with an update.

After IOS 17.4.1 my battery drains fast and overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.