Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10 phone app locks up

After updating to iOS 10 the phone app occasionally locks up. I'm forced to quit the app, and reload it. Anyone else experiencing this?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Sep 14, 2016 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2016 4:17 PM

Try holding down these buttons at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears: a) the Sleep/Wake button and the Volume down button (iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus) or b) the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button (all other models)

If a restart does not help try a System Restore. First backup your device using iTunes. Also import your photos to your computer and copy all important data if possible. Try restoring from backup first and testing it. If it does not help, you may have to restore as New and reconfigure from scratch as the backup could be corrupted. For this reason it is important to have your photos and data saved separately from the backup. Here are the steps for a Restore:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2016 4:17 PM in response to thiskiwicanfly

Try holding down these buttons at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears: a) the Sleep/Wake button and the Volume down button (iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus) or b) the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button (all other models)

If a restart does not help try a System Restore. First backup your device using iTunes. Also import your photos to your computer and copy all important data if possible. Try restoring from backup first and testing it. If it does not help, you may have to restore as New and reconfigure from scratch as the backup could be corrupted. For this reason it is important to have your photos and data saved separately from the backup. Here are the steps for a Restore:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Sep 18, 2016 4:17 PM in response to thiskiwicanfly

Yes, most definitely. It's been very annoying. I've reset, reinstalled with ipsw and still the phone app will lock up. Don't know how you screw up a phone app on a "phone", but they managed to do it. I will get a call, talk, then hang up and go to use the phone again and it's locked up. If I minimize or close the app and then reopen it, it usually works. But really. Using a 6s btw.

Sep 29, 2016 3:06 PM in response to thiskiwicanfly

There are at least 5 posts reporting this same problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7671180

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7666112

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7671366

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7681132

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7679372

"Phone" App keeps crashing under iOS10, reboot, reset do not help.

Apple, please tell me you are gonna fix it in 10.0.3!!!

Sep 29, 2016 5:06 PM in response to binaryni

There seems to be a solution at "Phone" app freeze on iOS 10

Here is what I learned:

Basically, you need to go to Settings->Mail->Accounts->...

to disable the syncing of "Contacts" from those accounts.

The biggest culprit is Exchange server and Hotmail accounts.

Gmail accounts can also be the cause.

iCloud account should be fine.

It seems iOS10 has problem syncing Contacts from some of those servers.

Oct 10, 2016 11:46 AM in response to thiskiwicanfly

I had the same issue with iOS 10.0.2 on an iPhone 6s. It began with the latest 10.0.2 update, not with the initial upgrade from iOS 9 to iOS 10 (either that or I simply didn't notice it until 10.0.2).

Symptoms:

After the Phone App is inactive for more than 1 hour, launching the Phone App will cause it to hang and eventually crash (just closes) after a varying amount of time in "hung" state. During the time the Phone App is hung, no touches register within the App. The home button still functions and app switching works as expected, but until the Phone App is terminated or times out, it remains unresponsive.

Research:

I've spend some time researching this issue and after reading a bunch of comments on this thread even considered a full factory reset. Instead, however, I decided to do the work of an iterative approach of testing to see if the issue is actually related to the Contacts App than the Phone App itself. To do this, I went into Settings->Mail, Settings->Facebook, Settings-iCloud and for each Synced account turned off Contacts Sync and then opted to delete the contacts form the phone. I then open the Contacts App and ensure there are no contacts shown. Essentially now the iPhone's Phone App history just showed numbers without any names. Same goes for the iMessage App. I then re-tested to see if the issue with the Phone App freezing would recur and it did not.

I waited 3 days and rebooted my phone several times to ensure that the Phone App freezing issue would not return and with all contact sync accounts removed and the Contacts App completely empty, the Phone App did not exhibit freezing a single time over the 3 day period.

I then slowly re-enabled each synced contacts account one account at a time.

Resolution:

After re-enabling contact sync for each account one at a time, I found that after re-adding contact sync on an outlook.com mail account, the issue with my Phone App freezing returned. Therefore I am tentatively concluding that either the issue is related to Outlook.com account Contacts syncing or more specifically a perhaps malformed contact part of my Outlook.com account. I am currently testing my iPhone with contact Sync for the outlook.com account disabled and have not seen the Phone App freezing issue.

Hope it helps,

David V.

TLDR: Try disabling just contact sync on each of your synced accounts one at a time and re-enable one at a time slowly to find the account that may be causing the issue.

Oct 10, 2016 1:48 PM in response to David Vielmetter

That's a great discovery David. I have a number of accounts with Contacts sync turned on, i.e. iCloud, and two Exchange accounts - one for my work email, the other for my personal email (Outlook.com). When I turn off Contacts sync for my Outlook.com account the Phone App freezing issue disappears. The issue really does seem to be related to the Outlook.com account which I've heard has been upgraded lately.

Oct 24, 2016 3:46 PM in response to David Vielmetter

Yep, I agree that it seems to be Outlook.com synching, but this was working perfectly in iOS 9 and before and it is something that I completely rely on.

The workaround of not synching the contacts isn't an option for me, so I guess I will need to wait until they fix it and put up with the lock ups. If you turn your phone off and on and sometimes close the Phone and Contacts app from the task list, it will clear it.

iOS 10 phone app locks up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.