Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera not detected MacBook Pro

Hey guys,

My MacBook doesn't recognise the built in camera and I have already tried typing "sudo killall VDCAssistant" in the terminal. It comes up with "no matching processes were found" after I type in my password.

I tried to fully erase everything after buying the laptop second hand and accidentally turned off the computer a bit early. I had to then restart and upload the software which came up with Mountain Lion and I then updated it back to the newest software.

Apparently the camera worked before that all happened so maybe I did something with it then?

Any idea what could have gone wrong and how to fix it?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 7:34 PM

There have been a number of substantially identical reports following the most recent macOS update, and an even greater number of alleged fixes. Most of them strike me as voodoo (such as what you tried) and none of them have resulted in a permanent fix.

You are welcome to try examining System Information > Hardware, but I am nearly certain it's going to indicate no FaceTime camera is installed. If that's the case no amount of process-killing will solve it.

Rather than waste time chasing alleged fixes (some of which you surely heard about) the only suggestion that makes any sense to me is to reinstall macOS from Recovery: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Unfortunately no one has yet followed up with a report of either success or failure. It's harmless enough to try though.

I have reason to believe it's a bug in that recent macOS update. If that's the case we will just have to wait for Apple to fix it.

Short of that you can restore a Time Machine backup of a system that predates that macOS update, but considering it was released over a week ago you may need to restore a lot of work created subsequent to that time.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2020 7:34 PM in response to AnnisJournal

There have been a number of substantially identical reports following the most recent macOS update, and an even greater number of alleged fixes. Most of them strike me as voodoo (such as what you tried) and none of them have resulted in a permanent fix.

You are welcome to try examining System Information > Hardware, but I am nearly certain it's going to indicate no FaceTime camera is installed. If that's the case no amount of process-killing will solve it.

Rather than waste time chasing alleged fixes (some of which you surely heard about) the only suggestion that makes any sense to me is to reinstall macOS from Recovery: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Unfortunately no one has yet followed up with a report of either success or failure. It's harmless enough to try though.

I have reason to believe it's a bug in that recent macOS update. If that's the case we will just have to wait for Apple to fix it.

Short of that you can restore a Time Machine backup of a system that predates that macOS update, but considering it was released over a week ago you may need to restore a lot of work created subsequent to that time.

Apr 30, 2020 12:30 AM in response to lysandroc

there are two different problems ongoing now:

1. "No video. FaceTime has not received any video from the connected camera. Restarting your computer may fix this issue". -> Basically the camera is detected, everything looks fine, the green LED stays on for a short period of time, then starts flashing before the timeout occurs on, but there is no signal, black screen. (Example: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251186757)
  2. No Camera detected -> The camera is completely not detected. It is not showing up in Camera, under the System Report.

I am not sure if the issues are linked, but it looks in a way or in another there are quite a lot of users having the same issue. At least more the 1 thousand users clicked on "I have this question too", so would imagine there is something ongoing and it cannot be just a coincidence:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251186757

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251196062

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8309582

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250327868

I understand that not all the users are having this issue. If so I do not think we were here but the this would have already been spreading on the newspapers... :) However this doesn't mean everything is fine. If thousands of users at the same time are saying that their camera is not working anymore, for a reason or another,I would suspect there is something to investigate.

Apr 30, 2020 5:05 AM in response to DPJ

I agree, and for this reason I have never mentioned Zoom.

It is Apple problem if the issue comes with FaceTime or Photo Booth. I do not have any 3rd party program installed on my Mac who needs access to the camera.

Basically the below comment is quite clear, I was referring to FaceTime.

1. "No video. FaceTime has not received any video from the connected camera. Restarting your computer may fix this issue". -> Basically the camera is detected, everything looks fine, the green LED stays on for a short period of time, then starts flashing before the timeout occurs on, but there is no signal, black screen. (Example: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251186757)

Apr 11, 2020 6:21 AM in response to John Galt

I uninstalled zoom.us (maybe superstition, but it was the app I was trying to use when the camera first stopped working), reinstalled 10.15.4, but the camera is still not working. The camera appears in System Report, but any app that accesses the camera causes the green LED to flash and no video.

I'm not willing to reload a pre-update backup. What's next?

Apr 29, 2020 9:24 AM in response to mbueche

Yes from what I've been seeing on Reddit is once you install Zoom it assumes the camera will only be used for it's app. It's not necessarily a defect or a driver issue but it's something that needs to be done in Zoom's settings. Sorry I wish I had have captured the solution on Reddit so I could offer it here. It's relatively a quick fix.

Apr 29, 2020 4:41 PM in response to JordanDeGiacomo

Well this is very strange. I generally use my 2011 iMac for my company's Zoom meetings. After these disturbing posts I just installed Zoom on my 16" MBP for the first time. The camera showed up working on the screen. Audio was perfect as well. I closed the Zoom app and opened Apple's Photo Booth and the camera worked perfectly fine as well. Not sure what's going on with others here but I'm having 100% success.

Apr 30, 2020 12:40 AM in response to Giu53pp3

"If thousands of users at the same time are saying that their camera is not working anymore, for a reason or another,I would suspect there is something to investigate."

Correct but you're looking in the opposite direction. This is NOT an Apple problem, this is a ZOOM problem. ZOOM is the software developer and it's their responsibility to make sure their product is coded properly and bugs are ironed out so the software will have full compatibility with the latest OS's. Software from a 3rd party should not be ignored when an issue comes up.

Apr 30, 2020 6:39 AM in response to Giu53pp3

"I agree, and for this reason I have never mentioned Zoom. "

Well multiple people here mentioned ZOOM and that's generally the reason why most people are using their MacBook camera during the stay-at-home order. Well I posted my pic of my 16" MBP to let people know that there's no issue with the camera. Sadly I kind of expected such a response. Best of luck.

Apr 30, 2020 6:57 AM in response to DPJ

Maybe your 16'' MBP is not affected, but this doesn't mean that all the MBP shouldn't have any issue. I mean your laptop is not the benchmark for all the MBP in the world. :)

There are plenty of characteristic, like:

Model type

Year of manufacture

Camera installed (maybe some model have a different camera)

Memory used

(......)

Moreover as an example not all the MBP had the problem with the keyboard or with the backlight of the monitor (just to mention 2 of the most common issues of the MBP of the last few years), but just some of them. Maybe we are in the same situation here.

Thousand of users are experiencing this issue. You are a lucky one. Good for you...

Apr 30, 2020 7:11 AM in response to Giu53pp3

"Thousand of users are experiencing this issue. You are a lucky one. Good for you..."

That's a cheap shot. It's not luck. It's working like it's supposed to. Like I said best of luck but that was a cheap shot and this is friendly forum and I help a great deal of people here and your comment was unnecessary.

Camera not detected MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.